About the 991, in your opinion...

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2011, 05:53 AM
THPorsche
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Mspeedster
+1

The rear is the 991's worst aspect looks wise. It's not bad, but a step backwards compared to the 997 IMHO. All other angles are good, but that one shot is fantastic.

OTOH, I think the 997 looks good from every angle.
except this...

Old 08-26-2011, 01:02 PM
Mbiondo
Pro

Received 31 Likes on 20 Posts

I agree. The 997 may even replace the 993 as the best looking 911 ever! History will tell. I can't find a bad angle on my C4S. And, trust you me, I look at it every chance I get.
Old 08-26-2011, 01:52 PM
GaFFLe
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by yemenmocha
Appearance wise...

... Also I think only the 997.1 is closer to the 993-like classic front end, because the 997.2 is significantly altered by those excessively bright xenon or halogen or whatever horizontal bar lights that illuminate so brightly under the headlights (the classic 911 has the round head lights, there was no need to underline them with screaming bright lines). We all know that's the easy giveaway when you're not sure whether the 997 in your rearview mirror is a 997.2, because you can see those underlining lights for 4-5 miles in your rearview mirror, during the day.
Porsche and every other manufacturer stole the lined LED headlight trend from these guys.

In the future, I'd be afraid this headlight trend will be analogous to...
Old 08-26-2011, 02:01 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Edgy01
While I can understand a trend upward in wheel sizes when other factors enter the picture (e.g., growing brake rotor diameters), I can't see how a move from 19s to 20s is enhancing the handling enough to be justified. As it is, handling with my rears at an aspect ratio of 30 is pretty incredible. I wonder where the wheel sizes will finally stop. (It's like imager sizes on digital cameras--at a certain point no one needs to go above a certain size due to the physics involved).
+1

It SUCKS that 20 is standard on "S" model, it should have been an option for all models. It will also definitely impact ride, will make the wheels more prone to damage from pot holes, and just looks WRONG on the car, the brake rotors looks tiny in the 20inch wheels!
Old 08-26-2011, 02:10 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Exterior is great, must be debadged though...

Interior, HORRIFIC! GT/Sedan/Luxry, NO SENSE of sportiness! It's ridicolous, they're now owned by VW/Audi and Audi does the BEST interiors around and they can't get this right! VERY DISAPPOINTING!
Old 08-26-2011, 03:52 PM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Received 796 Likes on 546 Posts

Originally Posted by alexb76
+1

It SUCKS that 20 is standard on "S" model, it should have been an option for all models. It will also definitely impact ride, will make the wheels more prone to damage from pot holes, and just looks WRONG on the car, the brake rotors looks tiny in the 20inch wheels!
agree. dont know why you need more than a 19..
Old 08-26-2011, 03:53 PM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Interior, HORRIFIC! GT/Sedan/Luxry, NO SENSE of sportiness! It's ridicolous, they're now owned by VW/Audi and Audi does the BEST interiors around and they can't get this right! VERY DISAPPOINTING!
sorry but i disagree completely. I dont see why luxury contradicts sportiness. i like the Cayenne / Panamera interiors and like what i see in the 991.
Old 08-26-2011, 04:05 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Exterior is great, must be debadged though...

I predict that in the very near future when a GT3/3RS model and/or more wide ranging option list becomes available, with the right interior colors, sport buckets, rear seat delete, maybe some alcantera trim, etc, it's your comment about "no sense of sportiness" that will seem "ridicolous" (sic).
Old 08-26-2011, 04:22 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by THPorsche
except this...

quite ciontrary - i like it how stock bumper looks like. it looks almost like 993 car used to be. authentic.
Old 08-26-2011, 05:17 PM
Thundertub
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Cool

So for seven years now everyone here has bemoaned that they can't afford a Carrera GT. Then Porsche gives you that look inside and at the rear, and then you complain...

These bigger wheels are gonna look a lot better when you get a load of the cavernous openings created by lifting the car almost 2" to meet US DOT mimimum headlight height requirements here. All of these pix are for the Euro ride height pre-production models... as always.

And that yellow front end shot... wasn't he a character in that Disney fish cartoon movie? A SMILE in the grille???? PULL-EEZE!!!
Attached Images  
Old 08-26-2011, 06:48 PM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Thundertub
So for seven years now everyone here has bemoaned that they can't afford a Carrera GT. Then Porsche gives you that look inside and at the rear, and then you complain...

These bigger wheels are gonna look a lot better when you get a load of the cavernous openings created by lifting the car almost 2" to meet US DOT mimimum headlight height requirements here. All of these pix are for the Euro ride height pre-production models... as always.
ah hell, might as well get 22's then.
Old 08-26-2011, 07:59 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
I predict that in the very near future when a GT3/3RS model and/or more wide ranging option list becomes available, with the right interior colors, sport buckets, rear seat delete, maybe some alcantera trim, etc, it's your comment about "no sense of sportiness" that will seem "ridicolous" (sic).
I am sorry, but I am not a Porsche fan boy like some, I say it as I see it and not biased... exterior is 90% there, they've kept the 911 look outside, messed up with rear badging, and only did 20" for marketing (it should have just been an option), but generally it looks good. Interior, they went for cost cutting and to share components with Panamera and totally forgot this is a sports car and created a 2-door Panamera interior!

When/if I see a DIFFERENT interior in GT3, it *could* be different and I might have a different opinion then.
Old 08-26-2011, 08:03 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rodsky
sorry but i disagree completely. I dont see why luxury contradicts sportiness. i like the Cayenne / Panamera interiors and like what i see in the 991.
I didn't say it contradicts by default, but basically they have completely designed the interior to be a baby Panamera, to suit new soccer mom buyers, asian customers and it has very little sporty look to it.

Again, if I see another pic maybe with different color scheme it may look different, but HONESTLY if you saw this interior pic randomly somewhere without the Porsche badge, would you guess it's for a sports car?! I'd definitely say no.

Look at latest McLaren, Ferrari, even Aston. Simple center console with aggressive sporty touches here or there, but most importantly very simple. The 991 interior is perfectly suited for a GT car, and does very much look like M5, M6, or a Jag!

PS. The only positive I find is that they finally went with *real* Aluminium trim instead of silver plastic.

Last edited by alexb76; 08-26-2011 at 08:22 PM.
Old 08-26-2011, 08:37 PM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I didn't say it contradicts by default, but basically they have completely designed the interior to be a baby Panamera, to suit new soccer mom buyers, asian customers and it has very little sporty look to it.

Again, if I see another pic maybe with different color scheme it may look different, but HONESTLY if you saw this interior pic randomly somewhere without the Porsche badge, would you guess it's for a sports car?! I'd definitely say no.

Look at latest McLaren, Ferrari, even Aston. Simple center console with aggressive sporty touches here or there, but most importantly very simple. The 991 interior is perfectly suited for a GT car, and does very much look like M5, M6, or a Jag!

PS. The only positive I find is that they finally went with *real* Aluminium trim instead of silver plastic.
I bet that real AL is an option!
I agree on the interior it nice but def not sporty like the Mc.
Old 08-26-2011, 08:47 PM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

I'm sorry - but i really like it. Be happy to buy one. I drive my Porsche every day and am OK with the luxury. I dont need a Mercedes or a Lexus but I appreciate the mod cons like seat warmers, nav, BT, UAI etc. If it were only for the track, maybe i wouldnt need all that stuff.

Not sure what you mean by catering to Asian customers. Do you think they should be focusing more on Canadian customers and their disdain for non-sportiness interiors?

Quick Reply: About the 991, in your opinion...