Sponsored by:

French article about 997.2 PSE and 991

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2011, 08:45 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by alexb76
Fair enough, it's all about the end user's satisfaction... someone can say a Prius performance is good enough for them, doesn't mean it's performance is great.
That was cold.

Old 08-12-2011, 09:54 PM
CtrUSA
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just 60 hours left in Europe. I'm happy to get back to the p-car in FL, but sorry about leaving France, and its country roads, to be honest.
With regard to exhaust; the good news is that it seems that enough people care. While I recognize and appreciate all the good the 997.2 has to offer, sound feedback for the pilot just isn't up to par.
I'm going to drive my 997.2 CarreraS to a dealer and have an immediate test drive with a PSE equipped car to see if that's what I'm after.
No doubt Porsche wished they were able to deliver a better exhaust sound; sorry to say they dropped the ball at least with regard to North American standard.
The fact that they admit their Sport exhaust isn't much better than standard isn't satisfactory. When upwards of 100k are spent on a vehicle, the sound compromise should be left in the country (Switzerland) or continent (Euro) delivering these standards.
As for the rest of us US people; let us live up to Cali standards and then blast our ears off if US standards allow us to!!!
Old 08-12-2011, 09:59 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 231 Likes on 126 Posts

This is precisely why I prefer the 997.1 PSE over the 997.2 PSE--it's a far better sound. I'm hopeful Porsche can pull something off, despite environmental pressures to improve mileage and reduce the noise of the internal combustion engine.
Old 08-12-2011, 10:08 PM
larrytrk
Rennlist Member

Received 74 Likes on 49 Posts

I agree with Dan, my 09 PSE is nowhere as exciting as my 06 version. However it is louder than it is in stock mode.
Old 08-13-2011, 12:31 AM
Ynot
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Have not heard the PSE in the 997.2 so can't really compare it to anything but I recently drove the Cayman R and the PSE on that sounded incredible. What a Porsche should sound like.
Old 08-13-2011, 02:57 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,010 Likes on 718 Posts

Originally Posted by CtrUSA
I'm going to drive my 997.2 CarreraS to a dealer and have an immediate test drive with a PSE equipped car to see if that's what I'm after.
I drove both which made Tubi an easy choice. When they admit themselves to screwing up all 997.2 exhaust options, what's left to do but to throw out their mistakes and mount something that works?
Old 08-13-2011, 04:55 AM
simsgw
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by alexb76
It's very well documented that basically they screwed up on 997.2 exhaust and PSE... one area 991 is definitely improved.
In this context, Alex, I'd have to read that phrase as "a lot of yahoos have been saying it already." I'm afraid I'd have to agree with Mike and GSirm. How the devil would you 'document' that van Gogh screwed up "A Starry Night" because you don't like it? Find a bunch of people who prefer the ceiling of the Cistine Chapel? Or just say so a lot?

Personally, I find my standard 997.2 exhaust has had a delightful sound ever since it opened up. If the PSE only adds ten db to the existing sound that would be fine by me. Anything more would require me to be forty years younger to tolerate it, let alone appreciate it. Does that mean your taste is "screwed up"? Or course not. They just built the exhaust on the dot two to satisfy my taste and the loudness regulations of umpteen countries. Your taste differs, but it isn't screwed up.

Is this documentation? Have we documented now that the aftermarket exhausts are a waste of money? Let's not be silly, and let's leave documentation-by-saying-it-six-times to phony news shows.

Gary
Old 08-13-2011, 07:35 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

I believe the center muffler has a lot to do with the more muted exhaust sound, stock or PSE, on the 997.2.

If.... make that .... WHEN I get my 997.2, I will a) remove the center muffler and install the Sharkwerks by-pass pipes, and b) install PSE if the car does not already have them.
Old 08-13-2011, 11:29 AM
DLennox
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Love the sound of the PSE on my GTS....
Old 08-13-2011, 02:09 PM
Tcc1999
Three Wheelin'

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

And, if the lack of resonance really bothers anyone, Sharkwerks does a relatively inexpensive and nice job enhancing the GTS/997.2 PSE sound. I think that they have a video on their website (or maybe it was posted as a link here).
Old 08-13-2011, 05:18 PM
simsgw
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by gota911
I believe the center muffler has a lot to do with the more muted exhaust sound, stock or PSE, on the 997.2.
I'm pretty sure the center muffler is designed to let them tailor the car to different markets. That is, if I remember correctly, they install a different center muffler as necessary to accommodate local requirements. That would make it the best place to start if your only goal is changing the sound without other effects.

Gary
Old 08-13-2011, 10:34 PM
CtrUSA
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

o is it safe to say that I could theoretically install PSE on my 997.2 and if after doing so, I still wasn't happy with the sound, I could go with a Fabspeed or other x-over - center muffler by-pass system - and still retain the on/off option even once the center muffler delete option was chosen?
That would be ideal world for me: PSE on/off option but with a raspier "on" than standard PSE on switch.F
Old 08-13-2011, 11:34 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by CtrUSA
o is it safe to say that I could theoretically install PSE on my 997.2 and if after doing so, I still wasn't happy with the sound, I could go with a Fabspeed or other x-over - center muffler by-pass system - and still retain the on/off option even once the center muffler delete option was chosen?
That would be ideal world for me: PSE on/off option but with a raspier "on" than standard PSE on switch.F
Yes, you can do exactly that ^, which is what I plan to do. I will use the Sharkwerks center muffler by-pass system.

Here is a link to a relatively new video & sound showing the Sharkwerks center muffler by-pass system on a GTS, with PSE switched ON and OFF. Go to the bottom of the page and click on the Aqua Blue GTS.

Sharkwerks by-pass system with PSE
Old 08-13-2011, 11:43 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by simsgw
In this context, Alex, I'd have to read that phrase as "a lot of yahoos have been saying it already." I'm afraid I'd have to agree with Mike and GSirm. How the devil would you 'document' that van Gogh screwed up "A Starry Night" because you don't like it? Find a bunch of people who prefer the ceiling of the Cistine Chapel? Or just say so a lot?

Personally, I find my standard 997.2 exhaust has had a delightful sound ever since it opened up. If the PSE only adds ten db to the existing sound that would be fine by me. Anything more would require me to be forty years younger to tolerate it, let alone appreciate it. Does that mean your taste is "screwed up"? Or course not. They just built the exhaust on the dot two to satisfy my taste and the loudness regulations of umpteen countries. Your taste differs, but it isn't screwed up.

Is this documentation? Have we documented now that the aftermarket exhausts are a waste of money? Let's not be silly, and let's leave documentation-by-saying-it-six-times to phony news shows.

Gary
Old 08-13-2011, 11:57 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 126 Posts

I just installed the Shark Werks center by-pass on my GTS.....the Sharwerks by pass is THE ONLY WAY to make PSE on the .2 cars sound really good.

I still like the Tubi system I had on my 2009 997.2 better. I will have the Tubi for sale soon when the dealer swaps it out of the stock exhaust on the 997 I traded in.....I have 1 possible buyer from another forum but never know if they will come through.... if anyone is interested let me know.

Quick Reply: French article about 997.2 PSE and 991