Automobile speculation on the 991

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2010, 02:06 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,482 Likes on 2,269 Posts

Cgt
you need to get the polar out. Last I saw it was TH 2004!

That's one of the best 993 i've seen. Only jochens gt2 tops it. And u know what I think about Roooof
Old 06-05-2010, 10:35 PM
porschemeister
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 16 Posts

picked up my 2011 RS today, great car! But the 993 has a special place in my heart (guess why...). "Found" a 3.8l engine case, 2 K24/26 turbos, TAG engine management, Bilstein suspension, Secan Intercooler in my never depleting parts bin. Ordered all the GT2 body panelsfrom Germany, now just need a donor car (C2S, C4S or TT) and another 993 TT/GT2 will be part of my stable again! This time a street/track combo, basically best of the 2 GT2's I recently sold. It will be a from scratch build and the color will be signal yellow (remember my RSR?). This car stuff is addicting, can't wait to get started. Any leads on a donor car appreciated. PM
Old 06-05-2010, 11:46 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,482 Likes on 2,269 Posts

jochen, so.... how was the drive to infineon ;-)
Old 06-06-2010, 12:35 AM
hansw
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My guess is that the 100 mm longer wheelbase is prompted by the new fuel economy regulations inasmuch as they punish cars with a short wheelbase. With its comparatively very short wheelbase, the 997 would be in a class where it would have to achieve something like 41 mpg under the new regs. Give it a longer wheelbase and it gets closer to 35.5 mpg. It's crazy, but the new regs establish different classes based on wheelbase and "footprint" of the car. The bigger cars don't have to meet as stringent a fuel efficiency performance as the smaller ones.

Perfect example of how government interference in the design of cars tends to have all cars converge on a common denominator: mediocrity. Wait till regs regarding unintended acceleration (if you step on the brake the engine goes to idle automatically) currently in the legislative sausage-making stage may do away with heel and toe downshifting.

I wonder if the 9991 achieves its longer wheelbase the same way Audi moved its front wheels forward a few years ago: by moving the differential right behind the engine where the clutch is currently located and the clutch dowstream from the differential, followed by the transmission.
Old 06-06-2010, 02:33 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by hansw
My guess is that the 100 mm longer wheelbase is prompted by the new fuel economy regulations inasmuch as they punish cars with a short wheelbase. With its comparatively very short wheelbase, the 997 would be in a class where it would have to achieve something like 41 mpg under the new regs. Give it a longer wheelbase and it gets closer to 35.5 mpg. It's crazy, but the new regs establish different classes based on wheelbase and "footprint" of the car. The bigger cars don't have to meet as stringent a fuel efficiency performance as the smaller ones.

Perfect example of how government interference in the design of cars tends to have all cars converge on a common denominator: mediocrity. Wait till regs regarding unintended acceleration (if you step on the brake the engine goes to idle automatically) currently in the legislative sausage-making stage may do away with heel and toe downshifting.
That's a horrible thought. If the gubbermunt seriously thinks there's any way to write broad legislation to improve fuel efficiency based on wheelbase, well, as you point out: SNAFU
I wonder if the 9991 achieves its longer wheelbase the same way Audi moved its front wheels forward a few years ago: by moving the differential right behind the engine where the clutch is currently located and the clutch dowstream from the differential, followed by the transmission.
This was the first thought when we saw the internals of the PDK -- there's no reason to have the coaxial clutch packs against the engine and create a conventional bell housing, it can all go forward (and create ample space for a hybrid electric in-line motor/re-generator) with a completely new concept of the flywheel and diff integral to the engine casing. The design would allow for the concept of a "flywheel battery" where "overrun" or deceleration energy is not absorbed by a regenerator in electric, but in the mechanical flywheel concept that Porsche uses in the RS Hybrid. This could be a direct connection or a hydraulic connection, but it would be at the "pole" of the car and could even be used to rotate the car into a turn! : )
Old 06-06-2010, 04:21 AM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 385 Likes on 268 Posts

That insight is brilliant. The bureaucrats are favoring large footprint cars. They say they are against gas-guzzling SUVs but they cannot give up their government Suburbans...

We've seen this crap in the 70s and 80s, but I fear that now there's a concerted effort in controlling (read destroying) the automobile as we know it.
Old 06-06-2010, 08:35 PM
porschemeister
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
jochen, so.... how was the drive to infineon ;-)
too short...will break it in slowly, and can't wait to take onto the track
Old 06-06-2010, 08:56 PM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Received 4,807 Likes on 1,714 Posts

Originally Posted by porschemeister
But the 993 has a special place in my heart (guess why...). "Found" a 3.8l engine case, 2 K24/26 turbos, TAG engine management, Bilstein suspension, Secan Intercooler in my never depleting parts bin. Ordered all the GT2 body panelsfrom Germany, now just need a donor car (C2S, C4S or TT) and another 993 TT/GT2 will be part of my stable again! This time a street/track combo, basically best of the 2 GT2's I recently sold.
I will forever love 993s. Your black GT2 was outstanding. Can't wait to see the new project get started.

Brilliant logic. Because bigger cars = higher efficiency...in some other planet...

Quick Reply: Automobile speculation on the 991