Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: How do you use your sunroof, if at all?
Never us the dang thing!
36.43%
Tilt function.
25.00%
Fully retracted.
31.43%
Wish it were clear.
21.43%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 140. You may not vote on this poll

Clear sunroof?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2010, 11:45 PM
Fin Fever
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by PVP997
Glass sun roof is essentially a piece of glass with a metal frame. Metal sunroof is an enclosed box structure. Enclosed metal box structure is more rigid and therefore more desirable from a torsional stiffness perspective.
you are right, but I doubt the little square moving part of the sunroof actually stiffens the car. On the contrary, the frame of the sunroof which is mounted in the roof determines the stiffness/stability of that area. I think the sunroof just adds weight to the roof. If they made a 911 without a sunroof, I would opt for that one.
Old 02-27-2010, 11:51 PM
KeninBlaine
Drifting

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Fin Fever
you are right, but I doubt the little square moving part of the sunroof actually stiffens the car. On the contrary, the frame of the sunroof which is mounted in the roof determines the stiffness/stability of that area. I think the sunroof just adds weight to the roof. If they made a 911 without a sunroof, I would opt for that one.
+1 I not only doubt it, I disagree that the moving part has any structural contribution to the roof. It floats within the framework, which as you say is the determining factor.
Old 02-28-2010, 12:09 AM
FI Flyer
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Another reason to dislike the sunroof is that it prevents having both a GPS/nav and a roof radio antenna. There is so little space available behind the fully open sunroof that there is not enough room for both on the centerline. For me good radio reception is worth more than the sunroof. I need nav and therefore chose the GPS/nav antenna but wish that I could have both.
Old 02-28-2010, 12:45 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

I suppose it was an economic/production decision but I think it was a bad move by Porsche to eliminate the delete sunroof option. Long story, but I had the entire sunroof assembly out of my '99. Bet that sucker weighed almost 50 lbs and it's mass up high where you least want it.
Old 02-28-2010, 12:56 AM
uzj100
Burning Brakes

Received 66 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Fin Fever
GT3
Old 02-28-2010, 01:34 AM
Tom N
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by FI Flyer
Another reason to dislike the sunroof is that it prevents having both a GPS/nav and a roof radio antenna. There is so little space available behind the fully open sunroof that there is not enough room for both on the centerline. For me good radio reception is worth more than the sunroof. I need nav and therefore chose the GPS/nav antenna but wish that I could have both.
What year is your 911? I have NAV on the 997.2, but have no external bump antenna, and get great radio reception. I thought the external "bump" is for the XM/Sirius antenna.

I prefer the steel roof, as it looks better than glass on the 911 IMO. Sunroofs are a quick way to get some air flow in the car in the vent position, and provide an open air feeling in the open position. I find very little buffing noise if opened to the first auto stop point. I open my sunroof on most days that it is not raining, or not so hot as to use the AC.

Last edited by Tom N; 02-28-2010 at 02:33 AM.
Old 02-28-2010, 01:43 AM
Fahrer
Three Wheelin'

Received 90 Likes on 59 Posts

I prefer no sunroof.
Old 02-28-2010, 01:52 AM
Tsilnner
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Sunroof Delete Option

Originally Posted by gota911
Unfortunately, the last four cars I have owned have each had a sunroof and none of them was ever opened while I was driving the car. I only opened them when I wanted to clean the seals while detailing the car.

My opinion of sunroofs is they 1) are useless, 2) add unnecessary weight to the car, 3) add complexity, and 4) most importantly, reduce headroom. In short.... "Sunroofs! We don't need no stinkin' sunroofs!" I would pay extra for a sunroof delete option.
I agree. The sunroof always looks like a great idea, but it is a feature that I have seldom used on sedans and have only once or twice used on my 997.2.

A glass or plastic sunroof might also require a shade - or else it would need to be very dark. A shade would be require more height and weight.

A sunroof delete option would be good. A sunroof option would be better.
Old 02-28-2010, 02:09 AM
LlBr
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 3 Posts

Too noisy to use for my preferences. If I remember correctly hitting 70mph+ it starts to get deafening (even when opened as far as recommended, not on override to get maximum opening).

OTOH, some days it's nice to get a bit of sun and enjoy the air movement.

No tracking use so I'm GLAD to have it. Seems like less "luxury" and less"GT" without a SR.

BTW, Clear sunroofs definitely require a shade where I am. Plus, when clear they are more obvious and they look like more junk stuck to these cars which are supposed to look "sleek."
Old 02-28-2010, 05:14 AM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

Received 2,867 Likes on 1,509 Posts

When I've had cars without sunroof's I miss it. Particularly on warm summer evenings. Open it up, enjoy the weather, listen to the car....wouldn't buy an everyday road car now without one.

A GT3 on the other hand.....!
Old 02-28-2010, 12:15 PM
stevepow
Three Wheelin'

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

I use mine all time driving around town. Close it usually on the highway. With it open and the windows down, similar to a cab experience. If I'm carrying home some smelly fast food and it's cold outside, I pop it up for venting.

I've had loads of BMWs with the clear roofs - I liked them.
Old 02-28-2010, 12:43 PM
At Law
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I enjoy having a sunroof and use it frequently.

In the eighties and early nineties, both Mercedes and BMW had
solid panel sunroofs.
My dad's 300E (back in 1990 or so) had a solid panel snrf as
did my BMW 318is (1991), which I had in undergrad.

Now, I believe all BMW's and Benz's are glass roofs.
Old 02-28-2010, 12:54 PM
Fahrer
Three Wheelin'

Received 90 Likes on 59 Posts

Years ago (1960s, 1970s, 1980s) European cars ( driven in Europe) seldom had A/C. They had sunroofs to enjoy the good ( and warmer) weather and since much of the time the weather is not so good sunroofs offered a better alternative to a convertible. Today, in Europe, you see A/C being much more widely orderd and sunroofs, not as much. Here people expect luxury/expensive cars to have sunroofs.
Old 02-28-2010, 02:15 PM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,035 Likes on 733 Posts

Originally Posted by gota911
My opinion of sunroofs is they 1) are useless, 2) add unnecessary weight to the car, 3) add complexity, and 4) most importantly, reduce headroom. In short.... "Sunroofs! We don't need no stinkin' sunroofs!" I would pay extra for a sunroof delete option.
Your signature, is that your current car........with a sunroof?
Old 02-28-2010, 02:52 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 396 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by LlBr
Too noisy to use for my preferences. If I remember correctly hitting 70mph+ it starts to get deafening (even when opened as far as recommended, not on override to get maximum opening). ..."
Deafening? Do you consider the 997 a sports car or a luxo box? I guess you do not care for a race car.

The 997 sunroof buffeting is well controlled. Not so in the 996, where if the roof was opened beyond 1/3 there was a strong resonance in the cabin, mitigated by slightly opening the side windows.

I love sunroofs.

Quick Reply: Clear sunroof?