Sponsored by:

991 sales beginning in early 2011?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2010, 12:19 AM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by ADias
The 4" wheelbase increase is fact. Widely reported and confirmed by PAG.
Where did you see that? It was not in that OP report... I agree that it's not a good idea, as much as I like them to move more weight to the front.
Old 02-20-2010, 12:21 AM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by axhoaxho
I am sure when the 991 arrives, it will be faster and better.

What surprise me is that it will arrive in early 2011 instead of 2012 as I last heard. Might that explain why the current 2010 997.2 prodution is so limited, so they are clearing the production pipeline for the 991?

Regards,
That's probably European release date, we won't see them until 2012!
Old 02-20-2010, 01:15 AM
axhoaxho
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's probably European release date, we won't see them until 2012!
I do hope so. I am about to replacing my 2007 997.1S with a 2010 997.2S, and it may not be in my best interest to spending about $100K on the car that is just a year away from a major remodeling...

Regards,
Old 02-20-2010, 03:27 PM
red996
Rennlist Member

Received 89 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by kosmo

Ferrari's are great fast cars. They are especially fast at emptying your wallet.

Have you seen the price of 355 or early 360's. They are quite reasonable. At least at purchase. I wish they didn't require so much attention. Especially, the 355.
Old 02-20-2010, 04:05 PM
FlatSix911
Nordschleife Master

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Nugget
I stand by my earlier predictions in that other thread.
Nugget, you have my vote for the Best Post of the Year ! ...

Originally Posted by Nugget
My predictions:
  • 993 drivers will stop paying attention as soon as they spot the radiator in the spy photos.
  • It will still have round headlamps and look like like it's smuggling a basketball on its ***. 99.95% of the world will love it precisely because of this, but one guy will fill up the Internet complaining.
  • Even if Porsche releases a 2800lb, 500hp, Nurburgring-chewing performance miracle -- 997 owners on the Internet will whinge and complain that it's not a real Porsche because its uses the same turn signal stalks as a Jetta now.
  • No matter how accomplished it is at the track, the flagship Corvette will have more horsepower and lap the ring a few seconds faster. This will (as always and despite the fact that it's never been otherwise) be used as evidence that Porsche has lost the plot and forgotten how to make cars.
  • The rear main seal will still leak in 0.5% of cars which the Internet will whip into a frenzy of class-action lawsuit threats.
  • Some guy will show up with a 991 Turbo at your local track but you won't notice because he'll have the whole front half of the car covered in eight rolls of painter's tape. He'll be parked in the paddock next to another guy with a 991 C2S that only has 40 miles on the odometer but he's already ripped out the carpet and mounted a lap timer to the dashboard with wood screws. The two will end up best friends by the end of the weekend.
  • The launch cars will be specced, as usual, by a drunken Belgian with case of beer and a dartboard. You be able to choose between a pure orange, full leather, 4S manual cab with parking assist and A/C delete, or a metallic mauve Carrera coupe with PDK, no sport chrono, no leather, deviated stitching, aluminum look rear center console, and a rear window wiper. Neither car will have floormats.
  • Porsche will change the PCNA service schedule for engine break-in by 1,000 miles but leave the ROW schedule unchanged. The resulting Rennlist thread will be 30 pages long before the first car even makes it off the boat.
  • Your current Porsche which you told everyone would last you forever because it's specced perfectly and represents the pinnacle of Porsche engineering will start squeaking and rattling when you drive over that one bump near your house. You'll decide that it's time to trade before it loses any more value and start a thread debating the relative merits of supple leather floor mats and the new ventilated glove compartment option.

Last edited by FlatSix911; 02-20-2010 at 07:54 PM.
Old 02-20-2010, 04:12 PM
Mspeedster
Burning Brakes

Received 26 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by ADias
I think that is the mktg explanation. The wheelbase increase will offer the possibility to flip the engine/tranny and make it a mid-engine car. Porsche Motorsports may be pushing for that and from a racing perspective I can see the motivation. But... a mid-engine design will no longer be a 911. It will just look like one.

I can hear already those claiming that Porsche already did that in motorsports with the GT1 Le Mans racer - a 911 evolution body with a mid-engine layout. But everybody knew that the GT1 was not a 911.

The wheelbase increase is bad from my perspective.
The mid-engine theory is very interesting. Who really knows if Porsche would actually do it to the 911. On the one hand, it would go against everything that the 911 was and the Porche purists would claim immediatly that it's no longer a 911. On the other hand, Porsche maybe tired of rival road cars besting them at the ring (think GT-R) and even having to hold back the Boxster/Cayman so they don't outperform the 911. Will they do it one day? Maybe. But my money would not be on that being the case for the 991.

Whatever the reason, I also think a longer wheel base isn't good. The car is already bigger, heavier and more of a GT than I'd prefer. With a Panamera coupe in the works, that car should be the GT in Porsche's line up. Which should then allow the 911 to return to its pure sports car roots. By making the car smaller and lighter, they can keep the traditional rear engine design but still up the performance in the process.

What I really hope they would bring out is a kind of club sport version of the current 997, similar in concept to what they've done with the Boxster Spyder.
Old 02-20-2010, 04:26 PM
rvklein
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If one likes the go-kart dynamics of an 11, the 997.2 will be the last 911
If I had a dime...
Old 02-20-2010, 06:17 PM
geof
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by richc
When will they announce the long awaited pick-up?
Originally Posted by At Law
If Porsche even thinks about introducing a pick-up truck--I'm immediately switching to Ferrari.
Better start saving for that Ferrari...

Old 02-20-2010, 07:06 PM
Le Chef
Three Wheelin'

It's deja vu all over again. Every 4 years we get almost exactly the same posts, just different people making them. I think Nugget got closest to defining what the Xerox machine throws out with regularity. Maybe one of the FAQ's should be how to cut and paste any former postings about the next generation 911 so we don't have to waste time thinking about it. We should also have a section on how ugly the next 911 is going to be, based on a few spy shots of cars covered in cladding...

Oh, and I forget the most important (technical) section to cut and paste. The 911 goes mid-engined and the 911 gets a flat-8. I think we've covered it. Now I can back to doing something useful like Zymoling the toaster.
Old 02-20-2010, 07:14 PM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

nice wheel geof
Old 02-20-2010, 07:51 PM
Eric - Plug Guy
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 194 Likes on 108 Posts

That mule was shown over a year ago. Don't get your hopes up on what AutoBlog has to say. Just wait it out.

<yawn>

2022 GT3 Touring
2009 997 Turbo Cab
2018 M2 6sp

Gone but not forgotten
2004 C4S Cabriolet
1999 C2 Cab

Old 02-20-2010, 07:56 PM
FlatSix911
Nordschleife Master

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

That thang gotta Hemi in it?

Originally Posted by geof
Better start saving for that Ferrari...

Old 02-20-2010, 09:58 PM
nyca
Drifting

Received 878 Likes on 487 Posts

Porsche knows whether their engineering can maintain the car in the current rear engine format, and keep it competitive - even against their own offerings and Audi's, and who knows what the sub $100K McLaren will offer. If they see they have no evolution strategy, they will begin to make changes.
Old 02-21-2010, 12:52 PM
Le Chef
Three Wheelin'

Porsche has done an amazing job of broadening the model's footprint over time. Start with the most basic coupe and you can end up in two very different corners: an awd Turbo S Cab with PDK and God knows how many luxury extras, all the way over to a rwd GT3RS. Not many of the 911's competitors can do that successfully.

Porsche has many more options now they're part of VAG, from developing a bespoke aluminum space-frame component set using Audi experience to carbon fiber and exotic materials from Bugatti and Lamborghini.

If Porsche can take out 250kg's out of the 911 they are going to be super competitive and can still make the rear engined boxer format work just fine without needing to increase power. In fact they could reduce engine size and take out all the associated weight that comes with heavier cooling, heavier braking systems and tougher gearbox internals.
Old 02-21-2010, 01:25 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 233 Likes on 128 Posts

Is that the new Porsche Ranchero? That's the only market they haven't addressed yet--the lucrative pickup truck market.

Quick Reply: 991 sales beginning in early 2011?