Sponsored by:

the NEXT 911 - Rumor Solicitation

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2010, 04:24 AM
brendo
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question the NEXT 911 - Rumor Solicitation

i'd like to get a sense of the rumors and or educated guesses out there on the next version of the 911. from my point of view, i'm upgrading from my 2007, planning to get a PDK car. as i was drifting thru alternatives, i considered many, and really think i should consider the new 991/981/998 version.

the cayman is now right on the heels of the 911 so i'm speculating there will be larger changes than the copy under spy photos suggest. i'd also like to avoid buying a 2010 X51 only to have the new 2011 blow it away.

what are the speculative thoughts out there? from what i have heard, but not verified:
  • 4" longer wheelbase
  • tranny mods to allow moving the engine forward
  • rumors of a flat 8 4.0 liter

with 2010 allocations way down, i'm hoping for a mid summer announce. then, i'll spec one, take euro delivery, and be happy.

thoughts? am i on dope here?
Old 01-12-2010, 09:16 AM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 255 Likes on 119 Posts

It would raise hell, but a trusted shop told me that the V8 will fit on the 911! The one from the RS Spyder is more powerful and lighter than the flat sis Sheesh, I cannot imagine a V8 powered 911. Flat 8 would be NICE!
Old 01-12-2010, 10:08 AM
RH512
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 4 Posts

speculation of course but I've heard it will be a 2011 intro as a 2012 model.
Old 01-12-2010, 10:38 AM
Trader220
Rennlist Member

Received 91 Likes on 49 Posts

Looking at a late 2011 launch as a 2012 model. Thats the word around from PCNA
Old 01-12-2010, 11:33 AM
Nugget
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

My predictions:
  • 993 drivers will stop paying attention as soon as they spot the radiator in the spy photos.
  • It will still have round headlamps and look like like it's smuggling a basketball on its ***. 99.95% of the world will love it precisely because of this, but one guy will fill up the internet complaining.
  • Even if Porsche releases a 2800lb, 500hp, Nurburgring-chewing performance miracle -- 997 owners on the internet will whinge and complain that it's not a real Porsche because its uses the same turn signal stalks as a Jetta now.
  • No matter how accomplished it is at the track, the flagship Corvette will have more horsepower and lap the ring a few seconds faster. This will (as always and despite the fact that it's never been otherwise) be used as evidence that Porsche has lost the plot and forgotten how to make cars.
  • The rear main seal will still leak in 0.5% of cars which the internet will whip into a frenzy of class-action lawsuit threats.
  • Some guy will show up with a 991 Turbo at your local track but you won't notice because he'll have the whole front half of the car covered in eight rolls of painter's tape. He'll be parked in the paddock next to another guy with a 991 C2S that only has 40 miles on the odometer but he's already ripped out the carpet and mounted a lap timer to the dashboard with wood screws. The two will end up best friends by the end of the weekend.
  • The launch cars will be specced, as usual, by a drunken belgian with case of beer and a dartboard. You be able to choose between a pure orange, full leather, 4S manual cab with parking assist and A/C delete, or a metallic mauve Carrera coupe with PDK, no sport chrono, no leather, deviated stitching, aluminum look rear center console, and a rear window wiper. Neither car will have floormats.
  • Porsche will change the PCNA service schedule for engine break-in by 1,000 miles but leave the ROW schedule unchanged. The resulting rennlist thread will be 30 pages long before the first car even makes it off the boat.
  • Your current Porsche which you told everyone would last you forever because it's specced perfectly and represents the pinnacle of Porsche engineering will start squeaking and rattling when you drive over that one bump near your house. You'll decide that it's time to trade before it loses any more value and start a thread debating the relative merits of supple leather floor mats and the new ventilated glove compartment option.

Last edited by Nugget; 01-12-2010 at 12:41 PM. Reason: Apostrophe's! Ack!
Old 01-12-2010, 11:45 AM
Trader220
Rennlist Member

Received 91 Likes on 49 Posts

Nugget... I see you're a long standing member here and have the place wired!!! Well said
Old 01-12-2010, 11:55 AM
Cowhorn
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

^^^^Good stuff.
Old 01-12-2010, 12:03 PM
LlBr
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

Total guess from the peanut gallery:
A macho limited edition version of the Cayman will come out. Will look more like a 997 and less like a Cayman. Will totally outperform the NA 997. Test marketing it Porsche might find the path they need to transition to high-HP/tq mid-engine performance for their mass market cars knocking down Corvette, GTR and whomever else.

911 will fade out. CGT will have a little brother with cahones. The classic 911 aura will still be on the streets because general public will see the 911-ish looking newly styled cayman-with-huge-***** and confuse it with the old "911=Porsche."
WOW! This is good pot!!
Old 01-12-2010, 12:04 PM
RollingArt
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

You crack me up Nugget !

Only problem, half of it is the truth.

Phil
Old 01-12-2010, 12:10 PM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Trader220
Looking at a late 2011 launch as a 2012 model. That's the word around from PCNA.
That's what I had been thinking. That the current so-called 997.2 will run through at least MY2011 and possibly into MY2012.
Old 01-12-2010, 12:37 PM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

thats some good BS Nugget, but as Rollingart says, prob true!
Old 01-12-2010, 01:03 PM
number9ine
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Nugget wins the thread, hands down the best p-car predictions since rumors of a Porsche SUV surfaced.
Old 01-12-2010, 01:12 PM
agdamis
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Nugget
My predictions:
  • 993 drivers will stop paying attention as soon as they spot the radiator in the spy photos.
  • It will still have round headlamps and look like like it's smuggling a basketball on its ***. 99.95% of the world will love it precisely because of this, but one guy will fill up the internet complaining.
  • Even if Porsche releases a 2800lb, 500hp, Nurburgring-chewing performance miracle -- 997 owners on the internet will whinge and complain that it's not a real Porsche because its uses the same turn signal stalks as a Jetta now.
  • No matter how accomplished it is at the track, the flagship Corvette will have more horsepower and lap the ring a few seconds faster. This will (as always and despite the fact that it's never been otherwise) be used as evidence that Porsche has lost the plot and forgotten how to make cars.
  • The rear main seal will still leak in 0.5% of cars which the internet will whip into a frenzy of class-action lawsuit threats.
  • Some guy will show up with a 991 Turbo at your local track but you won't notice because he'll have the whole front half of the car covered in eight rolls of painter's tape. He'll be parked in the paddock next to another guy with a 991 C2S that only has 40 miles on the odometer but he's already ripped out the carpet and mounted a lap timer to the dashboard with wood screws. The two will end up best friends by the end of the weekend.
  • The launch cars will be specced, as usual, by a drunken belgian with case of beer and a dartboard. You be able to choose between a pure orange, full leather, 4S manual cab with parking assist and A/C delete, or a metallic mauve Carrera coupe with PDK, no sport chrono, no leather, deviated stitching, aluminum look rear center console, and a rear window wiper. Neither car will have floormats.
  • Porsche will change the PCNA service schedule for engine break-in by 1,000 miles but leave the ROW schedule unchanged. The resulting rennlist thread will be 30 pages long before the first car even makes it off the boat.
  • Your current Porsche which you told everyone would last you forever because it's specced perfectly and represents the pinnacle of Porsche engineering will start squeaking and rattling when you drive over that one bump near your house. You'll decide that it's time to trade before it loses any more value and start a thread debating the relative merits of supple leather floor mats and the new ventilated glove compartment option.
SPOT ON!!!!! - Excellent Nugget!

By the way everyone please keep in mind and forgive me in advance but I will be the guy complaining about the "Jetta stalk and the Audi climate controls"
Old 01-12-2010, 01:17 PM
CarGuy21
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Nugget
My predictions:
You crack me up!! ROFLMAO

Typical sequence on any car board.
Old 01-12-2010, 01:53 PM
roadrat
Pro

Received 76 Likes on 42 Posts

nyuk nyuk nyuk

Quick Reply: the NEXT 911 - Rumor Solicitation