Sponsored by:

991 road trip essentials list? Prime Day

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2024, 02:48 PM
Tier1Terrier
Rennlist Member

Received 1,023 Likes on 511 Posts

Originally Posted by MingusDew
How do you have a spare that works for both the front 245/35-20 and the rear 305/30-20? Won’t putting a tiny mismatched wheel on one rear side be bad for the diff/trans? What’s the exact plan here for those of you toting a spare tire around with you?
If the rear tire blows, you move the front tire to the back and place the spare/donut on the front. That's the procedure. Obviously, this is a temporary solution that is solely intended get you safely to a destination where the matter can be resolved completely.
Old 07-18-2024, 10:04 PM
dvalera001
Rennlist Member

Received 152 Likes on 97 Posts

Printed maps/directions in case of cell signal loss.
The following users liked this post:
Shane@MagnaFins (07-21-2024)
Old 07-19-2024, 02:32 AM
SinkRate
Instructor

Received 124 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by MingusDew
How do you have a spare that works for both the front 245/35-20 and the rear 305/30-20? Won’t putting a tiny mismatched wheel on one rear side be bad for the diff/trans? What’s the exact plan here for those of you toting a spare tire around with you?
Originally Posted by Tier1Terrier
If the rear tire blows, you move the front tire to the back and place the spare/donut on the front. That's the procedure. Obviously, this is a temporary solution that is solely intended get you safely to a destination where the matter can be resolved completely.
As Terrier said, the Porsche factory spare can *only* be installed on the front end of the car. It's pricey, but worth having. If one didn't come with my car, I'd probably have already bought it.
Old 07-19-2024, 08:48 AM
rwbern
Rennlist Member

Received 930 Likes on 416 Posts

devalera - HA ! Without a definite itinerary, I begin each summer road trip with maps of the continental 48 :-) Rand McNally has individual, foldable, laminated maps. Supplemented with select state published maps the have all the FM & CR, I miss very few good P-car roads. Most evenings, winding down with a cold one, i semi-plan the next day starting route & highlights. The maps are a must-have.
dvalera001 (07-21-2024)
Old 07-19-2024, 11:19 AM
shammerman
Rennlist Member

Received 664 Likes on 352 Posts

I use a separate (soft) bag for dirty clothes on long trips. Then easy to always to find clean ones and drop the dirties into a washer/dryer as appropriate.
Shane@MagnaFins (07-21-2024)
Old 07-21-2024, 01:32 PM
Shane@MagnaFins
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 30 Likes on 14 Posts

rwbern: Is this one of the bags you use? https://www.suncoastparts.com/product/SKUCARGOBAG.html

If so, is there just one zipper compartment? And what combo? 2 larges might take up the whole frunk. Suncoast doesn't seem to have as many luggage options as they used to. I found the seat back cover, that's in my cart too.

Originally Posted by rwbern
I do a solo, four week, 8K+ mile road trip every summer, so the road kit is pretty complete by now. :-) Just about everything on your list plus a few storage & comfort items:
* A cushioned arm rest that adds 3 inches in height. Slips over the console cover. A must-have.
* Car seat gap storage inserts - solo, I need to be able to reach anything easily- also plugs the gap for dropped items
* Seat gap fillers - for the outside of the seats preventing dropped items rom landing hid knows where!
* The Suncoast seat back storage organizer
* IPhone mount - this one is mounted on one of the hap organizers
* A package of stick on cable holders - I plug the phone into the glove box USB port
* A coffee mug that really fits in the cup holder :-)
For the emergency pack:
Your list plus:
* Fresh can of Fix-a-Flat
* Small kit to plug a flat
* Small, portable air compressor- Ridgid
You will be surprised how much clothing you can get on the car, but give some thought to what& how you pack.
* I have two sets of luggage I use - both from Suncoast.
* On the road for a month, a lot of in & out of hotels, so I use a daypack with two days clothing, toiletries, etc. A larger bag contains all the back up & I “reload” the daypack every couple of days.

Hope that helps. On a shorter, accompanied trip, many of the above will be overkill, but useful.
Sage travels & keep us posted.

P.S. Of interested in this past trip, the journals are on the General Potsche Discussion Forum; God is my Copilot- Chapters 1 & 2

Old 07-21-2024, 06:48 PM
rwbern
Rennlist Member

Hey Shane - that is one. I have the larger one also, but did not use it this year. That one will also lay flat on the folded down rear seat if you need two. The other set from Suncoast looks like it has been discontinued.
Old 07-21-2024, 07:03 PM
Shane@MagnaFins
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by rwbern
Hey Shane - that is one. I have the larger one also, but did not use it this year. That one will also lay flat on the folded down rear seat if you need two. The other set from Suncoast looks like it has been discontinued.
That one comes in small, medium and large. Which would you suggest? Do they just have one big zippered compartment?
Old 07-21-2024, 07:22 PM
rwbern
Rennlist Member

I used the medium & it holds quite a lot. I could stuff a month+ in the large :-) One large compartment & I use stuff-sacks to organize, not restricted to someone else’s idea of my needs :-) Zip locks work fine also.
Old 07-21-2024, 07:59 PM
Shane@MagnaFins
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Great info, thanks
Old 07-21-2024, 08:40 PM
H2Owon
Racer

Received 146 Likes on 101 Posts

I'd opt for a AAA Premium Membership and plan to flatbed to the nearest TireRack approved installer that has high customer ratings.

It's not too practical to take up your frunk with a spare and jack, and then jack up you car twice to change to a spare for a rear flat. These tires are pretty strong and tend to leak versus have a complete failure. You can limp lots of miles by inflating, and driving until the TPMS says you are down to 22, inflating and repeating the sequence either until you can get to service or are in a safe place to call for the flatbed. A fellow Porsche driver I was with who split a sidewall such that you heard air escaping used this method with success. Don't even try the tire goo sealer. It doesn't work on fast leaks, can damage your TPMS sensor, and causes grief for the tire installer. If you do use it, make sure you tell the tire shop before they try unmounting the tire. They take precautions to protect their mounting machine from the goo.
Old 07-21-2024, 11:11 PM
Shane@MagnaFins
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

I have AAA, need to check if it's the Premium. Good info on the Goo... thanks

Quick Reply: 991 road trip essentials list? Prime Day