991 road trip essentials list? Prime Day

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2024 | 12:21 AM
Shane@MagnaFins
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Default 991 road trip essentials list? Prime Day

2017 991.2: Going on a 2,000 mile road trip in early August with my wife and three other couples in their 911s. Texas to Colorado & back.

Have any favorite 991 essential travel items? Specific coolers, cup holders, travel bags, etc.? For bonus points, maybe something that's on Amazon's Prime Day special?

Any packing tips/tricks/hacks?

I have:
-V1 & Blendmount to protect my license.
-PPF, Magnetic Stone Guards, rubber mats, windshield sunshade, and frunk tray to protect the car
-Collapsable buckets & car cleaning items in small travel bottles. Large ziplocks & small trash bags for wet towels, mitts, etc.
-Portable jump starter, 1 liter of motor oil, air pressure gauge, flashlight, mini umbrellas

I wish I had:
-A cooler I liked better for inside the car
-Wireless CarPlay, seems like those conversion boxes get mixed reviews...

What else do I need?

Old 07-17-2024 | 01:32 AM
docskeet
Rennlist Member

If you use navigation + CarPlay the phone battery is depleted somewhat rapidly IMHO. Just plug your phone in the center console.
Old 07-17-2024 | 01:46 AM
Shane@MagnaFins
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by docskeet
If you use navigation + CarPlay the phone battery is depleted somewhat rapidly IMHO. Just plug your phone in the center console.
I'm with you, Waze seems to eat my battery. I can get to everything I need from the touchscreen. I just get tired of the plugging and unplugging the phone and tucking the cord in the center console getting in & out of the car. First world problem for sure.

I sure do miss Athens, Georgia. Spent many good years there. Cheers, Go Dawgs!
Old 07-17-2024 | 07:10 AM
Nandska
Advanced

RTIC makes soft cooler backpacks that are pretty nice. I use mine all of the time. https://rticoutdoors.com/Lightweight...an&color=Black

Wet wipes, emergency seat belt cutter (and window hammer) and travel snacks. Maybe a roll of toilet paper? You never know when it hits, especially if you eat some bad food. lol.

Last edited by Nandska; 07-17-2024 at 08:35 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Shane@MagnaFins (07-17-2024)
Old 07-17-2024 | 07:12 AM
rwbern
Rennlist Member

I do a solo, four week, 8K+ mile road trip every summer, so the road kit is pretty complete by now. :-) Just about everything on your list plus a few storage & comfort items:
* A cushioned arm rest that adds 3 inches in height. Slips over the console cover. A must-have.
* Car seat gap storage inserts - solo, I need to be able to reach anything easily- also plugs the gap for dropped items
* Seat gap fillers - for the outside of the seats preventing dropped items rom landing hid knows where!
* The Suncoast seat back storage organizer
* IPhone mount - this one is mounted on one of the hap organizers
* A package of stick on cable holders - I plug the phone into the glove box USB port
* A coffee mug that really fits in the cup holder :-)
For the emergency pack:
Your list plus:
* Fresh can of Fix-a-Flat
* Small kit to plug a flat
* Small, portable air compressor- Ridgid
You will be surprised how much clothing you can get on the car, but give some thought to what& how you pack.
* I have two sets of luggage I use - both from Suncoast.
* On the road for a month, a lot of in & out of hotels, so I use a daypack with two days clothing, toiletries, etc. A larger bag contains all the back up & I “reload” the daypack every couple of days.

Hope that helps. On a shorter, accompanied trip, many of the above will be overkill, but useful.
Sage travels & keep us posted.

P.S. Of interested in this past trip, the journals are on the General Potsche Discussion Forum; God is my Copilot- Chapters 1 & 2
The following 4 users liked this post by rwbern:
911T4ME (07-18-2024), Adams (10-02-2024), BGLeduc (07-17-2024), Shane@MagnaFins (07-17-2024)
Old 07-17-2024 | 07:12 AM
Tier1Terrier
Rennlist Member

Road hazard kit. Lots of options. Don’t rely only on the messy slime in the frunk.

- jack
- lug wrench
- tire plug kit (lots of great options)
- good plier
- multi tool (for misc issues!
- gloves
- contractor grade large black plastic bag
- duct tape
- safety flares / lights
- flashlight
- collapsible spare

Old 07-17-2024 | 08:03 AM
detansinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

A windshield repair kit is an often overlooked, but incredibly useful item to have with you.

https://a.co/d/cF1SqEy

I keep one in every car. If you get a rock chip, you can fix it on the spot before it spreads.

The Permatex kit costs $12-15, includes everything that you need, and is easy to use. The results are professional.

The following users liked this post:
Shane@MagnaFins (07-17-2024)
Old 07-17-2024 | 10:22 AM
Shane@MagnaFins
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

That backpack cooler looks perfect for behind passenger seat. Good point on the TP. Funny but true
Old 07-17-2024 | 10:25 AM
Shane@MagnaFins
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Fantastic list! The way it's worded sounds like you have links on some items that didn't come through... I can search Suncoast. Do you have links for armrest cover, phone mount & and seat gap filler? Or brand names to narrow it down? thanks in advance
Old 07-17-2024 | 12:14 PM
vanlieremead
Rennlist Member

Bring water. Obviously check you tire pressures but the 911 does a good job at monitoring those. Bring a second phone usb wire in case of a pinch and keep it in your glove box. Most of all, pack patience! Sounds like fun.
Old 07-17-2024 | 01:22 PM
tiiger
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Shane@MagnaFins
-Wireless CarPlay, seems like those conversion boxes get mixed reviews...
Originally Posted by docskeet
Originally Posted by Shane@MagnaFins
I'm with you, Waze seems to eat my battery. I can get to everything I need from the touchscreen. I just get tired of the plugging and unplugging the phone and tucking the cord in the center console getting in & out of the car.
From the recent "wireless carplay" thread, here's a solution
https://rennlist.com/forums/991/1420...l#post19543347

Last edited by tiiger; 07-17-2024 at 01:23 PM.
Old 07-17-2024 | 01:28 PM
rwbern
Rennlist Member

Hey Shane - the Suncoast items are easy to find on their site. Have you discovered TEMU yet? A Chinese company that looks like they are going after Amazon! Search auto on their website. Nothing on the list was over $ 10 :-), with free shipping. The prices can vary daily, but worth looking at. Order today, and in most cases it is on the road the next day. I ordered a small gift for a grandchild on a Sunday afternoon that shipped, from China, on Monday. It arrived Friday! The quality is pretty good considering the price. The arm rest gets compliments all the time; think it was like $ 5.63 :-)
I do however, strongly recommend you do NOT let your roommate know about TEMU :-)
Old 07-18-2024 | 04:03 AM
SinkRate
Instructor

I think the most important thing with these cars on any road trip of that sorta length is a sure fire solution to a flat tire. One that's more robust than the fix-it kit in the frunk. A quality jack and tire patch kit are a must, in my opinion.

I was fortunate enough to find the full ($2000) OEM spare tire kit in the frunk of my car the day I bought it, and while it spends the majority of its time sitting in storage, I wouldn't hesitate for a second to throw it up front if I was about to set out for a 2000 mile trip.
Old 07-18-2024 | 09:07 AM
MingusDew
Three Wheelin'

How do you have a spare that works for both the front 245/35-20 and the rear 305/30-20? Won’t putting a tiny mismatched wheel on one rear side be bad for the diff/trans? What’s the exact plan here for those of you toting a spare tire around with you?
Old 07-18-2024 | 09:58 AM
Bud Taylor
Drifting

Default This in all my cars.

Extra sharp...comes with a firestarter

Quick Reply: 991 road trip essentials list? Prime Day