Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rock Chip(s) Require Entire Hood To Be Resprayed?

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2024 | 01:22 PM
ERinEC
Instructor

Default Rock Chip(s) Require Entire Hood To Be Resprayed?

I have some rock chips on my hood and have received two different approaches to fix. Shop #1 indicated the entire hood would need to be repainted whereas shop #2 said they would only be repainting the area in which the chip is located.

The cost differential is big, as shop #1 quoted me $1,000 for an entire respray whereas shop #2 quoted $350 to just address the affected area. Thoughts? TIA!
Old 03-13-2024 | 01:34 PM
CSK 911 C4S
Rennlist Member

what color is your car and how many chips do you have?

Old 03-13-2024 | 01:45 PM
ERinEC
Instructor

Originally Posted by CSK 911 C4S
what color is your car and how many chips do you have?
It's black (non-metallic) and there is at least one, maybe two, but hard to tell given I have PPF on the hood.
Old 03-13-2024 | 01:56 PM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Do you have half the hood with PPF and rock chip are on the side that is not PPFed?
Old 03-13-2024 | 01:58 PM
Jbwthree
Rennlist Member

Interested in the feedback you’ll get on this topic. My recently acquired Agate Grey 991.2 has some minor damage and stone/sand chips on the bumper and a few chips on the hood. The car does not have PPF. I’ve been trying to decide how or whether to deal with this. I would like to get the bumper repaired and resprayed at a minimum but I was wondering if a touch up on the hood followed by PPF would be the right approach there.
Old 03-13-2024 | 01:59 PM
MingusDew
Three Wheelin'

Someone good at chip repair can maybe do pretty good job filling them in/wetsanding smooth/clear/wetsand/polish, but if I was having a hood repair I would want the entire panel sprayed not just blended in. With your low cost option I think they wouldn’t do much prep or work after spray, so probably not a lot of wet sanding, I’d expect orange peel and it to look like garbage. The $1000 quote is more inline with what I expect for a panel respray, but you can still end up with bad work depending on the shop, so do your research.
The following users liked this post:
cbredesen (03-13-2024)
Old 03-13-2024 | 02:02 PM
ERinEC
Instructor

Originally Posted by Porsche_nuts
Do you have half the hood with PPF and rock chip are on the side that is not PPFed?
Haha - no the entire hood is covered in PPF. However, one small area (close to bumper) must have been struck pretty severely by a stone, as it created 2 very small tears in the PPF, each of which are maybe 1/4", revealing a very small area where I can see bare metal.
Old 03-13-2024 | 02:14 PM
TiptonInAustin
Instructor

Do it right or just drive the car and enjoy it as is. My 911 is close to perfect because I want it that way. My Tesla has damage on most panels and a huge scrape down the side of the car from a crowbar sticking out of a cattle grate. I just rock the Tesla as is. It's just a commuter to me. A fast one, but a commuter none the less. I'm sure there are people on this forum who feel the same about a 911 as I do my Tesla, and that's totally cool.

But for the love of god, halfway seems stupid to me.
Old 03-13-2024 | 02:14 PM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

So the PPF will probably have to be removed in order to repair in any case. Then a new one reapplied if you want to.

It gets expensive.
Old 03-13-2024 | 02:55 PM
ERinEC
Instructor

Originally Posted by Porsche_nuts
So the PPF will probably have to be removed in order to repair in any case. Then a new one reapplied if you want to.

It gets expensive.
Oh yeah, well aware of needing to reapply new PPF.

Originally Posted by TiptonInAustin
Do it right or just drive the car and enjoy it as is. My 911 is close to perfect because I want it that way. My Tesla has damage on most panels and a huge scrape down the side of the car from a crowbar sticking out of a cattle grate. I just rock the Tesla as is. It's just a commuter to me. A fast one, but a commuter none the less. I'm sure there are people on this forum who feel the same about a 911 as I do my Tesla, and that's totally cool.

But for the love of god, halfway seems stupid to me.
Not looking to cut corners, but was looking for affirmation that the entire hood should in fact be resprayed.
Old 03-13-2024 | 03:02 PM
TiptonInAustin
Instructor

Originally Posted by ERinEC
Not looking to cut corners, but was looking for affirmation that the entire hood should in fact be resprayed.
What I'd do in your shoes is go to the best bodyshop near you, and say "what does it cost to fix it right". Then fix it or not. The best bodyshop around is going to know way more than any of us, especially looking at your car in person.

Another route to consider is wrapping the car. I bought and love Lava Orange, but I sometimes wonder if I wouldn't be as happy buying a slightly beat up white/silver/black and then wrapping the car in lava orange and ignoring the paint.
The following 4 users liked this post by TiptonInAustin:
Dgags (03-13-2024), dmteter (03-16-2024), mwjackson92 (03-14-2024), rwbern (03-13-2024)
Old 03-13-2024 | 03:51 PM
cbredesen
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ERinEC
Well done chip repair can be pretty good. I've DIY'd it before with decent results but the metallic on my Audi was tough. Non-metallic black would be easier and if it's just one or two I'd probably go that route and then re-do PPF. If it were more damage I would get the entire panel painted to ensure that they aren't blending within a panel. but we all have different priorities.
Old 03-13-2024 | 04:03 PM
Gary12000
Rennlist Member

i would liken this to how i treat winsheild stone chips, have you ever had a new WS only to get a new stone chip a month later....
i would use touch up paint to stop it corroding or getting worse, leave the PPF in place drive the car and think about it for a few months... if you still want to get it done after a few months then go ahead..
you could spend all that time effort and money and then get another stone chip a week later...

Old 03-13-2024 | 04:18 PM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

I didn't have any ppf. I had one bad scratch on it through the clear coat. I elected to have touch up paint done and added ppf. That was much much cheaper. I can't even see where the scratch was now.

You have to find the right guy if you are going to do this route. I never liked the idea of repainting as that will never be as good as the paint from the factory.
InTgr8r (03-13-2024)
Old 03-13-2024 | 04:51 PM
Tpup
Rennlist Member

In my experience paint shops have trouble exactly matching a color. I prefer blending the paint over several panels because you don't see a difference between one panel and another. For example I had just my front bumper resprayed. On the car it was clearly a different shade than the rest of the car. By contrast I had my Macan repaired after minor damage and they blended what was directly repaired with the paint round it (on other panels). I cannot tell if there is a difference.

For me it does not matter if it's one panel or several. It needs to be done in such a way that you don't see a contrast between two panels.
Dgags (03-13-2024)

Quick Reply: Rock Chip(s) Require Entire Hood To Be Resprayed?