Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

991.2 Exhaust and Tune

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2024, 06:42 PM
PDK-LOL
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 13 Posts

I’ve got the sharkwerks exhaust and Cobb tune on my GTS. Extremely happy with both, I had my Porsche dealer install the exhaust with a bmc air filter last time I had it at the dealer. Installed the cobb tune myself, very simple plug and play.
Old 07-10-2024, 03:59 PM
InTgr8r
Rennlist Member

Received 127 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by Tier1Terrier
I have a 2017 S and installed a conservative tune and the improvement in performance was breathtaking. It was hard to believe that you could easily get so much more power out of these cars without making it feel like the power didn't belong there in the first place. These cars and engines are built to handle much more than what they come with from the factory. If it's one of the more common 'stage-1' tunes from companies like Softronic, APR, Cobb, or GIAC (just to name a few), you are very safe. You won't be able to find any reports anywhere of someone harming their engine from one of these tunes. I went with the Softronic which I was able to easily DIY install at my home in my own garage. Close to 100hp increase without changing the overall 'feel' of the vehicle. It just feels natural to the car. I've had it for a few years and still love it. However, I've recently gotten the chance to drive someone's T which was tuned with the newer APR tune and was VERY impressed with the power delivery. If I were to do it all over again or perhaps upgrade my turbos one day, I might choose the APR.
Thanks for your insight on this...

I'd pretty much decided on Softronic with the DIY capabilities.
Now that APR has added this feature, I'm fully planted on the fence.
I know that either is a good choice, but your comment about possible going with APR if doing it again has me waffling even more.

Can you shed a little more light on what it was about the APR power delivery that impressed you compared to your current Softronic tune.
Is it possible that your friends T had more to gain than your C2S???

Thanks
Old 07-10-2024, 04:38 PM
SpeedCircuit
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 58 Likes on 42 Posts

We love SOUL products for the exhaust.

As for tuning, we offer both Cobb and APR.

We can also do a custom Cobb tune if you wish:

https://www.speedcircuit.net/collect...991-ecu-tuning

The gains from an exhaust and a tune are massive, and a great bang for the buck. The only thing you'll regret is not doing them sooner.
Old 07-10-2024, 05:36 PM
SpeedCircuit
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 58 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by awittig
The only other caveat is that some of these tunes require you to commit to 93 octane fuel.
You can usually specify the fuel you intend to run (91, 93, etc) when choosing a tune.
Old 07-10-2024, 05:38 PM
soontobe
Advanced

Received 43 Likes on 5 Posts

I have the Softtronics Stage 1 tune with Soul cat bypass pipe. the sound and power delivery is amazing.
Old 07-10-2024, 05:49 PM
Tier1Terrier
Rennlist Member

Received 1,023 Likes on 511 Posts

Originally Posted by InTgr8r
Thanks for your insight on this...

I'd pretty much decided on Softronic with the DIY capabilities.
Now that APR has added this feature, I'm fully planted on the fence.
I know that either is a good choice, but your comment about possible going with APR if doing it again has me waffling even more.

Can you shed a little more light on what it was about the APR power delivery that impressed you compared to your current Softronic tune.
Is it possible that your friends T had more to gain than your C2S???

Thanks
It's hard to compare because it's apple to oranges. It was a different car with different turbos and obviously a different tune.

Let me start by saying this. The Softronic tune is in my opinion a great choice for a first time tuner who is apprehensive about making such a modification to their car. As my car sits today, I would not change it out for any other tune. The power delivery is smooth, consistent, and linear. It is an incredible amount of power for these cars which are already tuned from the factory to deliver more power than most drivers really need. After driving my friend's APR tuned T, I would describe my tune as perhaps a little more conservative, and his a little more aggressive at lower RPMs. If I were looking for the safest tune, I would think that Softronic is it. The years of dedicated Porsche tuning experience behind the development of the Softronic tune is impressive. One call to Scott and Softronic and he'll put your mind at ease with any question you have. As the owner and developer of the tune, you get to speak with someone who knows the tune, your car, and the process inside and out. I don't have any experience with APR. I know they are also a company highly experienced with tuning vehicles, although not as dedicated to Porsches. I found the process of working with Scott (Softronic) and the tune to be very easy going and reassuring for someone like me who was a little nervous having never done something like this before to a car. I also liked that Scott offered customization to the tune that other tunes weren't offering such as the ability to disable the auto on/off and other things I don't recall. Overall, I went with Softronic for the overall reputation and reviews I had read on this forum and elsewhere combined with the one on one interaction that I had with him. When I reached out to APR with questions, it was not the same experience. Other individuals have had nothing but great experiences with APR, Cobb, and others. Take your time and read the reviews.

I don't think you can go wrong with either. I would CONSIDER going with APR should I upgrade my turbos. If and when that time comes, I will weigh out the options again. My experience with Softronic has been great though.
The following 2 users liked this post by Tier1Terrier:
G.I.G. (07-11-2024), InTgr8r (07-10-2024)
Old 07-10-2024, 09:50 PM
InTgr8r
Rennlist Member

Received 127 Likes on 90 Posts

Thanks!!!
that really helps
Old 07-10-2024, 10:52 PM
bkrantz
Rennlist Member

Received 1,105 Likes on 665 Posts

Originally Posted by InTgr8r
Thanks!!!
that really helps
Ditto
Old 07-11-2024, 11:56 AM
dvalera001
Rennlist Member

Received 152 Likes on 97 Posts

I have the SharkWerks sport exhaust and recently did the APR at-home tune Stage 1 - ECU and TCU. This turned my 991.2 into an animal. Big difference in sound and performance. Love driving it even more.
Old 07-12-2024, 03:46 AM
cooky01
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Is it safe to tune w/o upgrading any hardware? (ECU flash only w/ Softronic for example)
If our cars can sustain the tuned performance, why wouldn't the manufacturers just make them that way straight from their factories?
While I enjoy fast cars, I also don't want to deal w/ reliability problems.
Old 07-12-2024, 03:58 AM
GoTime
Rennlist Member

Received 88 Likes on 53 Posts

Let me start by saying this. The Softronic tune is in my opinion a great choice for a first time tuner who is apprehensive about making such a modification to their car.

//

Yep, this is why I went with it on my 2017 base. I’m 1,500 miles in and loving it.
Old 07-12-2024, 03:59 AM
GoTime
Rennlist Member

Received 88 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by cooky01
Is it safe to tune w/o upgrading any hardware? (ECU flash only w/ Softronic for example)
If our cars can sustain the tuned performance, why wouldn't the manufacturers just make them that way straight from their factories?
To differentiate base/s models. MOST people won’t tune them, or have the idea even occur to them.
Old 07-12-2024, 10:50 AM
cooky01
Intermediate

Question

Originally Posted by GoTime
To differentiate base/s models.
Thanks for the quick reply.
Manufacturers can sell the base/S models w/ the better tuned performance numbers, so why don't they do it? (this question is for all manufacturers, and not just Porsche)

Below table is from Softronic's 991.2 website:
https://www.softronicsoftware.com/99...software-2017/

Old 07-12-2024, 12:16 PM
Bergmn
Intermediate

Since you have been driving on our Softronic tune for a while, may i ask which, if any, options you selected when you ordered it? I'm driving a 987.2 Base. I've done tunes on a previous (non Porsche) car from another tuner and loved it. My Softonic "kit" will arrive Monday. I see an option for Sport mode always on. Since my car lacks sport mode I'm inclined to go with that option. What did you select and love? Did you skip any options you regret not having? I'm not planning track driving. Just spirited mountain road driving. My biggest goal is better throttle response which I'm confident this will deliver. Thanks in advance for sharing your experience.
Old 07-12-2024, 12:22 PM
AdamSanta85
Rennlist Member

Received 1,245 Likes on 730 Posts

Originally Posted by cooky01
Porsche does sell the X51 upgrade kit for Carrera, it is GTS turbos and a tune.

I haven't seen anyone have engine issues related to the popular tunes in my years on Rennlist

Last edited by AdamSanta85; 07-12-2024 at 12:23 PM.

Quick Reply: 991.2 Exhaust and Tune