Advise request - Am I paying right price? high mileage 991.2 GTS Manual

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2024, 12:33 PM
sids
Track Day

Received 58 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Advise request - Am I paying right price? high mileage 991.2 GTS Manual

Hello Rennlist folks!

A first time owner here requesting your advice: Childhood dream to own a 911 and finally after all these years, I am looking at a 2018 991.2 C4 GTS, one owner, clean carfax with 52k miles. Manual transmission. The dealer asking price is 110k, it's not sold by Porsche dealership and thus does not have CPO.

The condition looks and sounds good (visually no panel discolorations etc.) but I will take it to an independent shop for PPI in SoCal for peace of mind.

I called up the Porsche dealerships near me (Newport Beach and Irvine) but they would not share the service records with me (due to privacy reasons) - all that I have to go on is the service records from the clean carfax.

So my question is: is 110k for 2018 C4 GTS Manual run 52k miles a good price or am I getting ripped off? I did my homework and currently do not see too many manual 2018 GTS options for this price, but wanted to run it by the knowledgeable folks here. Any comment on this price is highly appreciated!

(P.S: Sorry crossposting between US west sub and 991 sub - mods, please delete the US west post if I am in any violation, I was simply instructed by another member to post here for better responses)
Old 06-26-2024, 01:18 PM
SilverSFR
Rennlist Member

Received 108 Likes on 63 Posts

Sounds like a great price. 52K miles are not high miles. I would say average miles for a 5+ year old car. Dont wait and ponder to long as the car will be sold from under you.

Last edited by SilverSFR; 06-26-2024 at 01:24 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by SilverSFR:
detansinn (06-28-2024), sids (06-26-2024), sletcher (06-28-2024)
Old 06-26-2024, 01:31 PM
awittig
Racer

Received 205 Likes on 104 Posts

I'll let those more familiar with the current market chime in on price, but manuals are MUCH less common than PDK's and typically command a premium of $5-10k, and don't be frightened by 52k miles as long as the maintenance has been performed.

52k is starting to become more common for the .2's now that they are a few years old. It's not considered high mileage for a 6 year old car with such a reliable platform. It may appear as RELATIVELY high mileage considering most of these cars are recreational 3rd or 4th vehicles and only get driven 3-4k miles a year.

I bought my 17 C2S 7MT with 42k on the clock in 2021. It just turned 60k and hasn't given me a lick of trouble other than replacing the engine cover struts. If it's behind on the maintenance schedule, be sure to add that into your budget.

The following users liked this post:
sids (06-26-2024)
Old 06-26-2024, 07:57 PM
Jim986
Rennlist Member

Received 125 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by awittig
I'll let those more familiar with the current market chime in on price, but manuals are MUCH less common than PDK's and typically command a premium of $5-10k, and don't be frightened by 52k miles as long as the maintenance has been performed.

52k is starting to become more common for the .2's now that they are a few years old. It's not considered high mileage for a 6 year old car with such a reliable platform. It may appear as RELATIVELY high mileage considering most of these cars are recreational 3rd or 4th vehicles and only get driven 3-4k miles a year.

I bought my 17 C2S 7MT with 42k on the clock in 2021. It just turned 60k and hasn't given me a lick of trouble other than replacing the engine cover struts. If it's behind on the maintenance schedule, be sure to add that into your budget.
Do you have any proof that manuals command this $5-10k premium you keep propagating ? When I was looking for a 991 a few months ago I didn’t see many but they weren’t $5-10k higher than a PDK car. Since they are not as popular as PDK I suspect there are enough to go around for those few people who want one.
Old 06-26-2024, 08:33 PM
MingusDew
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,243 Likes on 626 Posts

Originally Posted by Jim986
Do you have any proof that manuals command this $5-10k premium you keep propagating ? When I was looking for a 991 a few months ago I didn’t see many but they weren’t $5-10k higher than a PDK car. Since they are not as popular as PDK I suspect there are enough to go around for those few people who want one.
there is a YouTube channel, Fourwheel Trader (I think?), and he does market analysis, including depreciation/appreciation. He uses a lot of datapoints, and will break down by options like PDK/manual. You’d have to go watch a few videos, but he has a lot of analysis showing manuals sell higher, especially for limited production stuff (GT3, etc.).
Old 06-26-2024, 11:38 PM
TX991.2
Intermediate

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

I think it is a fair price given it’s a GTS manual which will likely hold value better than most Carreras. I would bet the reselling dealer put very little effort into preparing the car for sale (like you said, not a Porsche dealer or CPO) at ~50k miles if you don’t know service details I would be thinking of service/wear items like:
tires
brake pads and rotors
brake fluid flush
air filter and serpentine belt
spark plugs and ignition coils
oil change

All the above (if you don’t do yourself) can easily top $6k or more to have done. You can leverage this in the sale price if they can’t validate service records.

Old 06-27-2024, 08:47 AM
docskeet
Rennlist Member

Received 170 Likes on 92 Posts

The price seems fair. If it’s not CPO a PPI is definitely something I suggest you consider.
detansinn (06-28-2024)
Old 06-27-2024, 10:16 AM
HardRider
Racer

Received 182 Likes on 124 Posts

As far as manuals its just a finer filter. I know I paid a premium of $5K when I bought mine base 911. I would find the right exterior color and then wrong interior color, then one would have chrono the other wouldn't. Dealer would know manuals were not as common and charge more so yes manuals in even base demand a $3-5K premium. All that said I thought I had a desire for a Porsche Turbo S (only PDK) or a GT3 (manual). What I have found since (after driving 10 911's) is I own the PERFECT 911. Plenty of power from stop light to stop light and the manual is the ****. So in the end I saved $$$$$ as I don't desire anything else. The turbo S is painfully fast but how many times can you do launch control??? The GT3 is a beast but rides like an F750 with 100 psig in the tires. The auto rev in manual (Chrono) is the **** when going from 4K rpm to 6K rpm, nice bark. No manual add 200hp and you may still be bored......
Old 06-27-2024, 06:04 PM
Bud Taylor
Drifting

Received 445 Likes on 318 Posts
Default Manuals People (me) will pay more

I think there is a guy on you tube that did a pricing thing on 911s

Even though he says there is not much difference the manual line on his graphs are always 10% above the other lines except for the real Turbos where it is 20 to 25% above.

A the end of the day it is supply and demand. It is a fact that they produced a small fraction of all the recent 911 models in manual's for export to the US. That being said if you are a manual transmission person then it is almost certainly true that you are willing to pay more as it completely changes personality of the vehicle, To me an automatic transmission reminds me of driving a rental car. Even my Bronco truck has a manual gearbox. I dred driving automatic transmission vehicles as they bore me and I lose interest in even a supercar very quickly. I would also argue that a plus is like today's electric cars they offer engine braking which is superior (especially in weather or traffic). They are slower in a drag race and it is good we dont all like to the same thing. That being said, I would always pay more for exactly what I want without hesitation.

Old 06-27-2024, 07:13 PM
biggreek
Instructor

Received 135 Likes on 65 Posts

In today's market, that's fair. Im sure you could get a few dollars off or atleast some services, if needed (tires/brakes/any repairs not done or needed) instead of cash.

I got my 17 4GTS in manual back in 2020. It had 52k miles on it then. I could probably get my money back, or close to it, today (if I wanted to sell it). At the time, it was the cheapest CPO GTS on the market by a long shot. I got a ppi done, it needed a few things and the dealer helped me out. It's been a fantastic car and I don't regret any of it. Do it, you'll fall in love.
sids (06-28-2024)
Old 06-27-2024, 08:04 PM
Jim986
Rennlist Member

Received 125 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by Bud Taylor
I think there is a guy on you tube that did a pricing thing on 911s https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EEb3d3DQIMQ

Even though he says there is not much difference the manual line on his graphs are always 10% above the other lines except for the real Turbos where it is 20 to 25% above.

A the end of the day it is supply and demand. It is a fact that they produced a small fraction of all the recent 911 models in manual's for export to the US. That being said if you are a manual transmission person then it is almost certainly true that you are willing to pay more as it completely changes personality of the vehicle, To me an automatic transmission reminds me of driving a rental car. Even my Bronco truck has a manual gearbox. I dred driving automatic transmission vehicles as they bore me and I lose interest in even a supercar very quickly. I would also argue that a plus is like today's electric cars they offer engine braking which is superior (especially in weather or traffic). They are slower in a drag race and it is good we dont all like to the same thing. That being said, I would always pay more for exactly what I want without hesitation.
Bud I used to think like you always had manuals. Then I spent some time in a PDK car and realized this was the future for Porsche and everyone else. I like manual cars too but if I could only have one car it would be PDK. Also your “rental car”. Comment is beyond ridiculous. Have you even driven a PDK 911 car…just curious as to where you’re getting your information.
Old 06-27-2024, 08:05 PM
Tier1Terrier
Rennlist Member

Received 1,023 Likes on 511 Posts

I would gladly pay 5-10k more for a 911 in the spec I desire. I did exactly that almost 5 years ago. This is not a new phenomenon.
Old 06-27-2024, 08:22 PM
Instructor

Received 50 Likes on 29 Posts

I bought a 2017 GTS with 82k miles with a manual transmission, front lift, rear steering and PASM for $85k.
Car is solid, I did a very good preventative maintenance myself upon delivery because of the mileage.
biggreek (08-21-2024)
Old 06-28-2024, 04:56 PM
Bud Taylor
Drifting

Received 445 Likes on 318 Posts
Default several actually

and to me they are just boring.I have driven a pdk base .2, S.2, .1 gt3, and 992 S, the only one I would choose in a pdk is the .1 gt3 but only if I was racing, trailered the vehicle to the track and was after competitive lap times as an amateur driver.

There is only 1 vehicle I have driven with an automatic transmission I would own and that is an 430 F1. Something about the paddle shifting in that car did it for me personally. Otherwise having traveled extensively for a living it is like crawling into any of the other rental cars I have spent way to much time driving.

Your original premise was that there was no proof that manuals demanded a higher value. I provided myself as an example of the demand and my willingness to pay more. I do not think I am alone in this viewpoint but only offer it as my own.

Bud I used to think like you always had manuals. Then I spent some time in a PDK car and realized this was the future for Porsche and everyone else. I like manual cars too but if I could only have one car it would be PDK. Also your “rental car”. Comment is beyond ridiculous. Have you even driven a PDK 911 car…just curious as to where you’re getting your information.
The following 2 users liked this post by Bud Taylor:
awittig (06-28-2024), vapormike (07-10-2024)

Quick Reply: Advise request - Am I paying right price? high mileage 991.2 GTS Manual