Sponsored by:

Buying a 100k mile 991.1 Carrera S

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2024, 11:43 PM
HoneyBoost
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying a 100k mile 991.1 Carrera S

Planning to buy a high milage 991.1 (108k) mile and want to know if anyone has a high milage 991.1 and what their experience is. I found a good deal on a 991.1 and always wanted to jump on the train.

planning to get a 991.1 2013 that is at 108k mile. My only worry is the PDK. I will get it PPI-ed but just wondering if I have to worry about anything. They offer a drivetrain warranty but its like 8k for 2 years which is pretty pricey. Pretty good deal with it being only 48K with clean title and regular maintenance. Just worried about PDK honestly

appreciate any feedback

Last edited by HoneyBoost; 06-22-2024 at 03:35 AM. Reason: Better title
Old 06-22-2024, 05:56 AM
NF4710
Pro

Received 195 Likes on 120 Posts

The 991 are usually reliable cars and there are some here who have passed 100k. I’d look hard at service records: by this mileage it’s likely many things will need to have been done potentially including shocks, suspension bushings, fluid changes for the PDK, brakes likely twice, etc.

If these service items haven’t been done I would RUN away because you would likely be due for brakes, suspension bushings and possibly struts. None of those are cheap and that’s before you consider the potential PDK issues (which fortunately seem rare).

What you save on price could quickly be negated by deferred maintenance. PPIs are only as good as the tech doing them - I’ve seen many of the aforementioned items missed on PPI (esp the suspension bushings).

NF
Old 06-22-2024, 08:57 AM
GoTexas
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

I ordered my 2012 991.2 in 2011 and have owned it since. It now has 92k mikes and still runs great. I have done regular maintenance on it like oil changes, brakes, coolant flush, pdk service, air filter, etc. I think it’s a very reliable car as long as you do those things regularly.
Old 06-22-2024, 09:31 AM
ktnielsen
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 47 Posts

May want to think about doing a bore scope and leak down test. Spark plugs should have been changed twice by now as well as two PDK services. Ten or more oil changes, brake fluid flushes, and coolant flushes as well.
Other items such as suspension, water pump, starter, alternator, AC compressor may need attention during your ownership. Does the car have Sport Chrono package?
Old 06-22-2024, 10:18 AM
Autobahnschreck
Advanced

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

You state the car was maintained regularly. For me this means, change of fluids, filters, spark plugs, serpentine belt, visual checks.
I would ask the seller for major items that were serviced beyond regular maintenance, as already said, brakes, suspension, shocks. These, plus tires , are easily checked. Tires tell tales of worn-out or out-of-alignment suspension.
Where did this car spend its previous life ? Was it abused (may also mean frequent short trips without the engine reaching operating temperature) ? Was it driven on salted roads ?
Look for corroded parts from the underside, also water lines, and leaking fluids.
It is clear that after more than 100 k mls., some tear and wear will be present. But these cars were designed for a service life of 250 k mls, for a country without a general speed limit on freeways.
And some more expensive components, like PDK or PCM 3 , or PADM may fail, but if the fail, they do this rather randomly than in terms of miles or operating hours.

If the asking price of the car is such, that a reasonable amount of repair risks is considered , I would take a chance. The more, if you are not planning to spend all your reserve funds at a Porsche shop, but you have somebody to do it at a more reasonable price, or you even can DIY.
Old 06-22-2024, 12:03 PM
rnl
Burning Brakes

Received 457 Likes on 203 Posts

my 2012.5 991.1 has 108000 miles. No problem with the engine or pdk. I just had a pdk service, and engine oil change. It drives like new. I am certain that if I used the car to remove tree stumps, regularly pursued jackrabbit starts, or towed bulldozers there probably would be issues with the PDK.
The following users liked this post:
JeepJLU2020 (06-23-2024)
Old 06-22-2024, 12:21 PM
HoneyBoost
Rennlist Member

Its been service regularly at mostly porsche dealerships and some good indie shops from a quick search. The car doesnt have sports chrono, so I think its not spiritly driven as often but might be wrong. I know last owner was an family man that definitely didn’t abuse this car.

Originally Posted by ktnielsen
May want to think about doing a bore scope and leak down test. Spark plugs should have been changed twice by now as well as two PDK services. Ten or more oil changes, brake fluid flushes, and coolant flushes as well.
Other items such as suspension, water pump, starter, alternator, AC compressor may need attention during your ownership. Does the car have Sport Chrono package?
Old 06-22-2024, 12:32 PM
HoneyBoost
Rennlist Member

Service record seems complete, seeing that “recommended service” was performed in porsche dealerships, i’d assume this includes basic fluid changes. But thank you for the insight! Ill ask the ppi guy to check the shocks, suspension bushings, etc

Originally Posted by NF4710
The 991 are usually reliable cars and there are some here who have passed 100k. I’d look hard at service records: by this mileage it’s likely many things will need to have been done potentially including shocks, suspension bushings, fluid changes for the PDK, brakes likely twice, etc.

If these service items haven’t been done I would RUN away because you would likely be due for brakes, suspension bushings and possibly struts. None of those are cheap and that’s before you consider the potential PDK issues (which fortunately seem rare).

What you save on price could quickly be negated by deferred maintenance. PPIs are only as good as the tech doing them - I’ve seen many of the aforementioned items missed on PPI (esp the suspension bushings).

NF
Old 06-22-2024, 12:47 PM
bill edwards
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Mine has 81,000 miles. Its 981.1 S naturally aspirated with OEM sport exhausts.
main points i would consider are ( in order)
1- meticulous maintenance records
2- PDK transmission fluid changes ( every 30-40k mikes)
3- options ( most desired is sport exhaust or after market) . If after market , 3rd party , too loud can be undesirable .

comments
need to know how recent changed :
1-spark plugs
2- air filters
3- serpentine belt
4- coils
5- brake fluid
6- brake pads / maybe rotors

summary : realize the above maintenance items not done can reduce price , yet done will have a higher purchase. Nest is to buy higher cost where owner has records and meticulously kept records

all the best .. as information perhaps as a guide, i may sell mine next year at 65k due to the above plus options i didnt state details
Old 06-22-2024, 01:33 PM
MingusDew
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,216 Likes on 612 Posts

Same thing as any other car with 100k+ miles, except a lot more expensive to fix deferred maintenance and hidden problems. Camry a 911 is not. You’ll hopefully have a better idea what you’re dealing with after a PPI. I would caution that a good rule of thumb to go by is ,”buy the seller first, and the car second.” I prefer private party sales, with a lot of records, from an owner I can tell loved and maintained the car properly. Dealers also come on a sliding scale, so keep in mind the type of dealer and their reputation. Be ready to walk away, don’t get emotional. Best of luck, keep us updated!
Old 06-22-2024, 03:37 PM
Tbounds
Racer

Received 79 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by HoneyBoost
Planning to buy a high milage 991.1 (108k) mile and want to know if anyone has a high milage 991.1 and what their experience is. I found a good deal on a 991.1 and always wanted to jump on the train.

planning to get a 991.1 2013 that is at 108k mile. My only worry is the PDK. I will get it PPI-ed but just wondering if I have to worry about anything. They offer a drivetrain warranty but its like 8k for 2 years which is pretty pricey. Pretty good deal with it being only 48K with clean title and regular maintenance. Just worried about PDK honestly

appreciate any feedback
i would make sure transmission has been serviced mileage and age would have required trans service
Old 06-22-2024, 05:29 PM
Jack F
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 760 Likes on 540 Posts

Originally Posted by HoneyBoost
Its been service regularly at mostly porsche dealerships and some good indie shops from a quick search. The car doesnt have sports chrono, so I think its not spiritly driven as often but might be wrong. I know last owner was an family man that definitely didn’t abuse this car.
Or it’s driven even harder because of lack of SC. These should be many, many service records. If there are gaps, then buy at own risk.
Old 06-22-2024, 08:10 PM
D W
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

As a reference point, the official PDK fluid service interval for the 991.1 is listed as 12 years/120k miles according to the dealership. Many people choose to do fluid changes more often.
Old 06-22-2024, 09:47 PM
Joec500
Rennlist Member

Received 1,021 Likes on 607 Posts

Assuming your comfort level with Ebay Shopping and DIY, suspension parts can easily be had for great prices from dismantlers and most come from low mileage cars.
The PDK failures are a thing, but can be rebuilt as most of the failures revolve around sensors internally. Seems like the repair is around $5k mark.
The motor is stout, assuming oil changes are done, you should be be ok.
Also check to see if there was an waterpump/belt service was done, I spent about $1500 on parts and labor for this.
Personally I wouldn't have issues of a 100k car if there are maintenance documentation and the interior and exterior look clean, these cars are SUPER easy to work on, there really isn't anything special about servicing them.

I have 108k miles on my car and the thing runs better than new, 2nd owner since 20k miles and very meticulous about maintenance and this car has been super reliable.

I would budget 10k for possible PDK repair and misc maintenance items.

But a solid PPI and maybe borescope and a good price, I wouldn't be afraid of a higher mileage 991.
Old 06-23-2024, 01:15 AM
tmarino
Rennlist Member

Received 214 Likes on 128 Posts

Chiming in here as I am currently running a 2014 991.1 that is approaching 80K with very few issues since I purchased the car 5 years ago with 36K. It’s been dealer or self serviced it’s entire life and has been a reliable car all round. It’s not a garage queen and is driven at least 6 days a week. As previously stated, keep up on the maintenance as it’s a cheap preventative measure for sure. Just had the first PDK service as recommended by the dealer at 75K. I wouldn’t think twice about buying a high mileage one with proper service records. These cars are easy to maintain for most DIYers unless it’s a dealer only issue to be resolved.
Good Luck

Quick Reply: Buying a 100k mile 991.1 Carrera S