Sponsored by:

Buying a 100k mile 991.1 Carrera S

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2024 | 01:52 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Personally, I wouldn't.

There are too many 991.1 911s for sale to choose from.
Old 06-23-2024 | 02:34 AM
Joec500
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
Personally, I wouldn't.

There are too many 991.1 911s for sale to choose from.
assuming you have the budget. Depends on the price, not everyone is as rich as you.
Old 06-23-2024 | 11:39 AM
PV997
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by bill edwards
Mine has 81,000 miles. Its 981.1 S naturally aspirated with OEM sport exhausts.
main points i would consider are ( in order)
1- meticulous maintenance records
2- PDK transmission fluid changes ( every 30-40k mikes)
3- options ( most desired is sport exhaust or after market) . If after market , 3rd party , too loud can be undesirable .

comments
need to know how recent changed :
1-spark plugs
2- air filters
3- serpentine belt
4- coils
5- brake fluid
6- brake pads / maybe rotors

summary : realize the above maintenance items not done can reduce price , yet done will have a higher purchase. Nest is to buy higher cost where owner has records and meticulously kept records

all the best .. as information perhaps as a guide, i may sell mine next year at 65k due to the above plus options i didnt state details
The PDK does not need service every 30-40k miles, that is absurd. The only reason to do service that frequently is if the car is tracked or the clutch otherwise abused and the fluid has been overheated/burned.

PDK fluid replaced at 60k miles looks brand new, it does not become contaminated like engine oil. The pan filter is extremely porous as its job is to catch chunks of things, not dirt that doesn't exist. Replacing fluid that often is a waste of money, it may make the owner feel good (as many rituals do) but it's not based on any actual need. The 997.2 PDK recommended fluid change at 60k miles/6 years and Porsche actually lengthened that to 120k/12 years on the 991. How often does that happen?

If you are limiting your searches to cars with the PDK fluid changed that often you are taking a huge number of good cars off the table for no good reason. All it really insures is that the previous owner was obsessive-compulsive and a poor money manager.

The days of Porsche BS that the PDK cannot be repaired and require a $20k replacement are over. Even in the rare event of a failed clutch can be replaced by a qualified shop for around $6k. Stop with the fear-mongering.

Edit: Adding that I apologize to Bill if this comes off as harsh, but please don't give advice to newbees like this that aren't backed by facts. There is zero evidence to support what you say regarding PDK service.

Last edited by PV997; 06-23-2024 at 12:45 PM.
Old 06-23-2024 | 01:27 PM
JimEb
Racer

If the deal is right, a high mileage car is often one's best bet to afford a newer 911.

Bought my 991.1 with 93K. Kind of wanted a project car and I DIY as much as I can. If I didn't wrench on this car would be EXTREMELY uneconomical to own. That said I dumped about $12k into this car in the first 3 years of ownership. Some stuff was totally optional like ceramic coat, CarPlay w/ backup cam and Numeric shifter (some would argue that would be mandatory). Other stuff was merely getting the used car sorted and replacing stuff that's worn. Some replaced on speculation because records didn't clearly show when it was last done:
-Clutch, flywheel, RMS, gear oil
-Brake Pads, Rotors
-Belt, spark plugs, tensioners

Fixing stuff little broken stuff like the engine lid latch issues, Change-Over-Valves, Spoiler springs, tail light brackets.

Did have a coolant leak down at that seal between the thermostat housing and plastic pipe. This was the fix that I threw the towel in and towed it to an indy shop. Loaded the parts cannon and fired away on that one. Ended up with some new coolant hoses, thermostat, thermostat housing, water pump and a bunch of new seals on every component touched. I guess all new coolant came with that.
Wonder if I would have just spent $12k more on a lower mileage car if I would have been better off. However, reading some of the issues people have on this forums with less mileage cars makes me think it's always a roll of the dice. Sometimes a higher mileage car that driven and well cared for is going be more sound than that low mileage car that sits for months/years.
Old 06-23-2024 | 02:25 PM
Joec500
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JimEb
If the deal is right, a high mileage car is often one's best bet to afford a newer 911.

Bought my 991.1 with 93K. Kind of wanted a project car and I DIY as much as I can. If I didn't wrench on this car would be EXTREMELY uneconomical to own. That said I dumped about $12k into this car in the first 3 years of ownership. Some stuff was totally optional like ceramic coat, CarPlay w/ backup cam and Numeric shifter (some would argue that would be mandatory). Other stuff was merely getting the used car sorted and replacing stuff that's worn. Some replaced on speculation because records didn't clearly show when it was last done:
-Clutch, flywheel, RMS, gear oil
-Brake Pads, Rotors
-Belt, spark plugs, tensioners

Fixing stuff little broken stuff like the engine lid latch issues, Change-Over-Valves, Spoiler springs, tail light brackets.

Did have a coolant leak down at that seal between the thermostat housing and plastic pipe. This was the fix that I threw the towel in and towed it to an indy shop. Loaded the parts cannon and fired away on that one. Ended up with some new coolant hoses, thermostat, thermostat housing, water pump and a bunch of new seals on every component touched. I guess all new coolant came with that.
Wonder if I would have just spent $12k more on a lower mileage car if I would have been better off. However, reading some of the issues people have on this forums with less mileage cars makes me think it's always a roll of the dice. Sometimes a higher mileage car that driven and well cared for is going be more sound than that low mileage car that sits for months/years.
the common theme is proper maintenance as it also says something about the owner and how the car was cared for in general. I would bet money my 108k mile car shows, drives and inspects just as good or better than cars with half the mileage with the average porsche owner.

pics from my drive yesterday

Last edited by Joec500; 06-23-2024 at 02:26 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Nashvegas (06-23-2024)
Old 06-23-2024 | 04:40 PM
tmarino
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by PV997
The PDK does not need service every 30-40k miles, that is absurd. The only reason to do service that frequently is if the car is tracked or the clutch otherwise abused and the fluid has been overheated/burned.

PDK fluid replaced at 60k miles looks brand new, it does not become contaminated like engine oil. The pan filter is extremely porous as its job is to catch chunks of things, not dirt that doesn't exist. Replacing fluid that often is a waste of money, it may make the owner feel good (as many rituals do) but it's not based on any actual need. The 997.2 PDK recommended fluid change at 60k miles/6 years and Porsche actually lengthened that to 120k/12 years on the 991. How often does that happen?

If you are limiting your searches to cars with the PDK fluid changed that often you are taking a huge number of good cars off the table for no good reason. All it really insures is that the previous owner was obsessive-compulsive and a poor money manager.

The days of Porsche BS that the PDK cannot be repaired and require a $20k replacement are over. Even in the rare event of a failed clutch can be replaced by a qualified shop for around $6k. Stop with the fear-mongering.

Edit: Adding that I apologize to Bill if this comes off as harsh, but please don't give advice to newbees like this that aren't backed by facts. There is zero evidence to support what you say regarding PDK service.
My PDK was recently serviced for the first time at 75K and everything went fine. Service manager said everything looked fine and we do it again at 120K. Save all the money from performing changes at 30-40K intervals and put the monies towards the normal maintenance items that you will need such as brake rotors, pads, oil and air service etc.
Old 06-23-2024 | 09:35 PM
browse964
Rennlist Member

Joe - shame those buckets just do not work with that car... clearly you should sell them to me and put the stock back in
Seriously, beautiful example!
The following users liked this post:
Joec500 (06-23-2024)
Old 06-23-2024 | 10:05 PM
Joec500
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by browse964
Joe - shame those buckets just do not work with that car... clearly you should sell them to me and put the stock back in
Seriously, beautiful example!
thank you! 😊

Quick Reply: Buying a 100k mile 991.1 Carrera S