Sponsored by:

icarsoft POR3.0 doesn't clear any codes

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2024, 01:33 AM
Nashvegas
Racer

Received 149 Likes on 96 Posts
Default icarsoft POR3.0 doesn't clear any codes

Just got the Icarsoft POR v3.0 and it pulls the codes (which on my car are an airbag code for passenger seat, a few instrument cluster errors, some gear shifter error that shows up, and a sunroof module code) -- but it won't actually clear the codes. I select "clear code" or "fast clear" (unsure of terminology but it's obvious), and the codes stay after pressing F2 to clear them or selecting clear codes. Firmware is updated. Anyone have success doing this? 2013 991.1 C2S.
Old 06-01-2024, 08:27 AM
sletcher
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

More information would be helpful. Is this car new to you or have you had it a while. Is this your first time to see these errors or have they been there and you're just scanning the car for the first time? Was there an Error on the iCarsoft tablet while erasing the codes or are they still present after a subsequent scan? Honestly if nothing has happened to the car, no damage or other event, I think there are two possibilities to begin with. First, each of those modules does in fact have a fault that needs to be fixed. Or what it might be is the car battery is going bad and it's manifesting with these errors. Is the battery old? When a battery starts to go these cars are super sensitive to voltages.
The following users liked this post:
justabout (06-01-2024)
Old 06-01-2024, 01:34 PM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

Received 2,237 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Maybe the codes are clearing and then immediately just coming back?
Old 06-01-2024, 02:22 PM
asellus
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,099 Likes on 1,306 Posts

Originally Posted by subshooter
Maybe the codes are clearing and then immediately just coming back?
my bet's on this.

if you really want to test it, unplug something like an ABS sensor or something in the engine bay, start the car until the CEL pops, plug it back in, clear code, and re-read.
Old 06-01-2024, 09:25 PM
SilverSFR
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 58 Posts

Nashvegas

Something I read in a past thread was that after you get your 991 updated with what ever they do for the fuel emissions stop sale that icarsoft por x software was not working properly any longer. I think someone was resetting oil maintenance messages after an oil change and that was failing. This has not been confirmed by any means. A few like 2 people mentioned issues after update. Mine is still working great but I have not gotten the update done yet. Did you by chance get the update done?

Last edited by SilverSFR; 06-02-2024 at 12:01 AM.
Nashvegas (06-02-2024)
Old 06-02-2024, 02:57 AM
Nashvegas
Racer

All great insights. Thank you. I played around with it a bit more today and got the codes to clear for my airbag and gear shifter snafus (perhaps I shouldn't just start unplugging stuff when car is on!).

What was apparently happening is that I didn't have the VIN of the car in the scan tool. It's a new scan tool for me and first time doing this with the 911. So -- Once I had it automatically identify the VIN of the car, which it successfully did and then recognize the car is type 991, when I went back into the modules, I cleared the codes, they in fact did clear.

So that's good news. (with one exception... below);

Interestingly there is one module that refuses to clear (and has 18 error codes saved is called "Additional Instrument: Clock". I was thinking... what on earth.. is this. ? The errors are "Additional Instrument: Clock Function Restriction", "Additional Instrument: Clock Pointer Function - Signal Implausible", "Additional Instrument: Clock Supply voltage limit exceeded", "Additional Instrument: Clock - Supply voltage below threshold", and a bunch of "No communication with PCM, instrument cluster, etc etc" errors... which are probably not an issue.

I was thinking... Is this just the silly Sport Chrono clock ? And yes, yes it is. Wonder if any of you have seen tons of errors in the Sport Chrono when messing about.

When I went into the view the data for the "Additional Instrument: Clock" module it was a lot of time related things about hours, minutes and seconds..., and there was some data including a Porsche part number. And yep.. bingo... the 970 part # is indeed the Sport Chrono clock.

That 970 (Panamera??) Part # is same as the Sport Chrono clocks I found on ebay

So mystery solved. Operator error.

thesaintusa (06-02-2024)
Old 06-02-2024, 02:58 AM
Nashvegas
Racer

Interesting. BTW my car has not had this emissions update.

Originally Posted by SilverSFR
Nashvegas

Something I read in a past thread was that after you get your 991 updated with what ever they do for the fuel emissions stop sale that icarsoft por x software was not working properly any longer. I think someone was resetting oil maintenance messages after an oil change and that was failing. This has not been confirmed by any means. A few like 2 people mentioned issues after update. Mine is still working great but I have not gotten the update done yet. Did you by chance get the update done?
Old 06-03-2024, 08:25 AM
sletcher
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Yes, I too have several (I think 5) errors associated with the clock. Tried to clear but they return. Tested chrono functions in the dash and the clock seems to operate properly. My car is a GTS that came with Sport Chrono and ,as far as I know, the clock is original to the car and hasn't been replaced. I'm just going to live with it.
Nashvegas (06-03-2024)
Old 06-03-2024, 11:24 AM
Nashvegas
Racer

Thanks @sletcher . My Sport Chrono clock also seems to operate fine and I believe the original clock that came with the car (although I haven't actually done anything than look at it, and the wheels turn, and it appears to turn off after the car is off and whiz around back to 12 o clock).

To answer your above questions, brand new battery Dec 2023 and no other issues with the car.

Something about the icarsoft V3.0 POR ... for perhaps others to watch out for, when I just manually selected "991" it would not clear codes. There were no errors on the icarsoft, it said "codes cleared". But they weren't. However when I "read the vin" with the scan tool, it did automatically find the VIN of the car, associated with 991 of course... and then after doing that, codes cleared without a problem (except this clock thing) . Go figure... Either way I'm pleased with the $150 for the icarsoft on Amazon. I think.

Last edited by Nashvegas; 06-03-2024 at 11:25 AM.
sletcher (06-06-2024)
Old 06-13-2024, 01:06 PM
Nashvegas
Racer

Holy crap, I figured out why my Sport chrono clock had errors. (from above -- there are a bunch of error codes saved in the module called "Additional Instrument: Clock".

"Additional Instrument: Clock Function Restriction",
"Additional Instrument: Clock Pointer Function - Signal Implausible",
"Additional Instrument: Clock Supply voltage limit exceeded",
"Additional Instrument: Clock - Supply voltage below threshold",

Reason why? The little silly white hands are bent (cheap white plastic warped from heat or age is apparently the reason) and every single time the large red second hand sweeps past the white hands that are warped outwards (towards the cabin / rear of car) -- the red hand hits the white hands... causing an error. I searched around and this is apparently very common on 997, Macan, Panamera, Cayenne of this same vintage ... but I'm somewhat amused that I was seeing actual error codes in the car from this.

So, at least my mystery is solved as to why the Sport Chrono clock is giving me bunches of errors ...

Now I'm hoping the hands fall off in the next 18 months while I'm still under CPO.

Last edited by Nashvegas; 06-13-2024 at 01:19 PM.
InTgr8r (06-13-2024)
Old 06-14-2024, 06:51 PM
H2Owon
Racer

Received 143 Likes on 99 Posts

Why not take it in now? It's logging errors and should be covered. If the hands fall off, they might say that's cosmetic and not cover it.
Nashvegas (06-15-2024)
Old 06-15-2024, 12:50 AM
Nashvegas
Racer

You have a valid point there ... every time I go in I get a CPO "trim" or "cosmetic" denial lol.
Old 06-20-2024, 03:18 PM
DR911s
Racer

Received 83 Likes on 71 Posts

To the OP, have you checked to ensure that your iCarsoft POR 3.0 has the latest updates? I've owned that scan tool for less than a year and there have been multiple updates. I recently received both a firmware update and a new database update. I have not since used the tool to determine what changes or additions have been made that apply to 991 generation vehicles. I have a 2017 C2S. The scan tool has worked fine for resetting the oil change and maintenance reminders. However it thus far cannot identify the particulars that are causing the TPMS fault lamp to be set, and the TPMS system is presently not picking up the wheel sensors. The wheels and sensors are a little over 5 years old from delivery from Tire Rack.
Old 06-20-2024, 04:46 PM
Nashvegas
Racer

Yup. I did update the firmware - it should be current!

Btw I have figured out the clearing codes issue (posted above)… the tool was not properly automatically determining my vin or car type. Fixed now, and now it finds the Vin and car type as it’s supposed to when I hit “ready” on that screen. And once I did that, codes clear. What is weird, I could read codes.

The only codes I’m still unable to clear are the “Additional Instruments: Clock” which is the sport chrono clock. And my hands are warped and contacting each other so I think the codes are not just random erroneous codes !

Quick Reply: icarsoft POR3.0 doesn't clear any codes