Sponsored by:

Newbie to PDK advise…

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2024, 07:55 PM
Jim986
Rennlist Member

Received 101 Likes on 54 Posts
Default Newbie to PDK advise…

My first PDK always had manual transmission. I’m really liking the PDK and shifting in manual mode is no problem. What I’m having trouble with is driving it smoothly in auto. It seems very sensitive to the throttle, so I really have to be easy on the throttle when taking off. Coming from a 229 Hp Boxster manual giving it to much throttle was not a problem. Any suggestions appreciated.
Old 05-25-2024, 08:01 PM
rwbern
Rennlist Member

Received 916 Likes on 411 Posts

Really pretty simple, just drive the heck out of it. You’ll adjust :-)
Old 05-25-2024, 11:26 PM
asellus
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,099 Likes on 1,306 Posts

make sure the previous owner didn't do something silly like install a throttle controller to make the throttle a light switch.

otherwise, turn it to drive instead of sport and see if that helps.
Old 05-26-2024, 09:57 AM
vanlieremead
Rennlist Member

Received 300 Likes on 205 Posts

Next time you are in for service, have the PDK ‘reset’. It will adapt to your driving.
Old 05-26-2024, 10:43 AM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,634 Likes on 1,065 Posts

Originally Posted by Jim986
My first PDK...
Pulling and then quickly releasing (think ‘mouse click’) both paddles simultaneously will shift to neutral. Then clicking either paddle will disengage neutral if a) speed is above 5-ish MPH or b) brake peddle depressed if stopped.

Apropos your question: As per others Normal Mode (sport / sport plus not active) should be pretty lazy with shift speed and throttle response. If not, look for mods.
Old 05-26-2024, 11:07 AM
needmoregarage
Rennlist Member

Received 1,454 Likes on 628 Posts

Originally Posted by rwbern
Really pretty simple, just drive the heck out of it. You’ll adjust :-)
This is certainly one way to go (and might work for OP)

Originally Posted by asellus
make sure the previous owner didn't do something silly like install a throttle controller to make the throttle a light switch.

otherwise, turn it to drive instead of sport and see if that helps.
Excellent advice

Originally Posted by vanlieremead
Next time you are in for service, have the PDK ‘reset’. It will adapt to your driving.
To expand a bit more on the “reset” advice: the car “learns” your habits. If someone else drove the car over a period of time in a more “aggressive” way than your typical habit, the car learns and adapts to their behavior. By having it reset (back to “zero” or “default”); as you drive, the car will “re-learn” and adapt to YOUR driving style.

I had bought a used BMW that had this issue and I had it reset at the dealer. For the first several months I was irritated by the throttle sensitivity. I tried just living with it, but I never adapted because it didn’t suit how I wanted to drive THAT car on the street. Having the dealer reset it solved the problem of the “twitchy” throttle, and the car was more compliant and enjoyable for my style of street driving (my aggression comes out on the track - but on public roads I’m fairly sedate). It was the Porsche service manager’s suggestion to have it reset (I was talking to him about the BMW sold by the beemer side of same dealer, and explaining how touchy the throttle was).

Good luck - hope you get it sorted to your liking!
Old 05-26-2024, 04:17 PM
Jim986
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the advice. The car had 45,000 miles on it when I bought it so I’m not sure how the previous owner drove it. I think the reset on the PDK makes sense.
Old 05-26-2024, 06:22 PM
Kitc2246
Three Wheelin'

Received 479 Likes on 348 Posts

What you want is an Electronic Throttle Calibration reset. There are Youtubes.
Old 05-26-2024, 09:38 PM
joserpaq
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 61 Posts

https://www.macanforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=8010

Take a look at this thread.
Old 05-27-2024, 07:47 PM
Jim986
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by joserpaq
Thats a Macan forum? Would the same PDK reset work on a 991 PDK?
Old 05-28-2024, 07:20 PM
Jim986
Rennlist Member

I did the PDK reset, thanks to joserpaq for the link to the instructions! Cars shifts much better and is less clunky 2-1st.
The following users liked this post:
needmoregarage (05-29-2024)
Old 05-28-2024, 08:04 PM
asellus
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Jim986
I did the PDK reset, thanks to joserpaq for the link to the instructions! Cars shifts much better and is less clunky 2-1st.
It's likely in your head. The procedure linked above is a joke that's been floating around for years.
The following users liked this post:
shammerman (05-28-2024)
Old 05-28-2024, 08:41 PM
joserpaq
Rennlist Member

It's likely in your head. The procedure linked above is a joke that's been floating around for years.
I had my PDK changed under CPO and drove it very gingerly for a week. I noticed that upshifts in manual would take 2 seconds. I called dealer and they told me there was no calibration. I then found that link and did a reset. I immediately saw a change after driving for a few hours. So I believe it works and it’s linked to what looks like Porsche document.
Old 05-28-2024, 11:02 PM
asellus
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by joserpaq
I had my PDK changed under CPO and drove it very gingerly for a week. I noticed that upshifts in manual would take 2 seconds. I called dealer and they told me there was no calibration. I then found that link and did a reset. I immediately saw a change after driving for a few hours. So I believe it works and it’s linked to what looks like Porsche document.
PCNA has denied that procedure exists -- someone posted a correspondence a few years back.
ALLDATA does not show any such procedure.
The FSM does not show it either.
There is no empirical evidence of this song-and-dance procedure doing anything other than wasting fuel and making you look silly, though I've seen one that involves you getting out of your car and waiting the X minutes with the A/C off, so this one makes you look slightly less silly.

From a design perspective, it isn't a Porsche document. It's something a kid would make in Microsoft Word. The procedure steps are center-aligned with a heavier weight font than the title of the document itself. The title uses an inappropriate font, matching the Porsche logo font, which is a typographical no-no. They are prefixed with a numeral then a period... again, on a center-aligned list of steps. There is no WM number associated with the procedure. There is no date, no copyright text, nothing. It's just a joke.

Further, your claim? You immediately saw a change after driving for a few hours? That's standard operation, it's always adapting to the driver.

The PDK reset procedure is a commanded operation using a two-way tool, like a PIWIS or any number of shop tablets. There are adaptation resets (what you're trying to reset with this song and dance) and a clutch reset, which requires a specific amount of over (or under?) fill of the PDK fluid.

Last edited by asellus; 05-28-2024 at 11:03 PM.
Old 05-28-2024, 11:10 PM
joserpaq
Rennlist Member

PCNA has denied that procedure exists -- someone posted a correspondence a few years back.
ALLDATA does not show any such procedure.
The FSM does not show it either.
There is no empirical evidence of this song-and-dance procedure doing anything other than wasting fuel and making you look silly, though I've seen one that involves you getting out of your car and waiting the X minutes with the A/C off, so this one makes you look slightly less silly.

From a design perspective, it isn't a Porsche document. It's something a kid would make in Microsoft Word. The procedure steps are center-aligned with a heavier weight font than the title of the document itself. The title uses an inappropriate font, matching the Porsche logo font, which is a typographical no-no. They are prefixed with a numeral then a period... again, on a center-aligned list of steps. There is no WM number associated with the procedure. There is no date, no copyright text, nothing. It's just a joke.

Further, your claim? You immediately saw a change after driving for a few hours? That's standard operation, it's always adapting to the driver.

The PDK reset procedure is a commanded operation using a two-way tool, like a PIWIS or any number of shop tablets. There are adaptation resets (what you're trying to reset with this song and dance) and a clutch reset, which requires a specific amount of over (or under?) fill of the PDK fluid.
Yes. Driving the car aggresively for a few hours after a reset did appear to be different to me at least. The delay in up shifts was very noticable. In either case not much harm in trying if you think it might help. I'm not trying to convince anyone of anything just sharing what I think could help someone. Take it or leave it as you see fit.

Quick Reply: Newbie to PDK advise…