Sponsored by:

Good deal? (New to the Pcar)

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2024, 07:38 PM
jfischet
Three Wheelin'

Received 621 Likes on 365 Posts

Originally Posted by ace10
Never? Not once ever? Nor at any time into the infinite future, never?
never.

(see limconcella)
Old 05-11-2024, 02:19 AM
DailyDriver2023
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Agreed!!

QUOTE=Jim986;19430432]I wouldn’t buy it. Here’s why:

No sport exhaust
No sport chrono
No cooled seats (must have for convertible)
Too many miles
No clean carfax(this will come back to bite you when you sell it)
Price too high
Green color will be hard resell

There are lots of cars out there and apparently your willing to travel to get one, so be patient and wait for the right car.[/QUOTE]

I personally can’t drive a manual anymore. And in comparison I can tell you as above tooo many options aren’t there that you’ll want to have held out for. I snagged a 991.2 4GTS PDK (no cab.) with 20k miles a year ago for $80K cash than dropped $25k in it all SOUL parts (and PURE TT’s dialed down) and it’s hitting 573hp to the wheels. I’ve never been happier. (And PDK’s do offer shifter panels)

it now has 45k miles on it. I drive it daily and you’d be amazed at how sexy having the extras especially the PDK / PSE options. I’ve driven all that is out there but trust people here hold out get all you want!! I’d drive a few different models etc. and go with what YOU want.

But I will warn you.. you’ll ALWAYS want more, lol. And that carfax WILL bite you in the a@@ later on!!

But again it’s what YOU want!! GL

Oh BTW.. an S / GTS is the one time anyone can say they LOOOOOVE a phat a@@!! 😁

Old 05-11-2024, 02:29 AM
nsau
Advanced

Received 48 Likes on 30 Posts

I am going to go against the grain here and say go for it. It’s a manual, in the color you want. These engines are good for 150k+ miles. Sport chrono on a manual… whatever. I have it on mine and I hate the rev matching.

Two tone dash…awesome. The sun beating down on a tan dash, the reflections on the windshield are horrible.

As I kept reading your post all I could think is this is a car I would buy.

The following 3 users liked this post by nsau:
Elmiko (05-11-2024), jfischet (05-11-2024), RJScheuerle (05-11-2024)
Old 05-11-2024, 12:02 PM
RJScheuerle
AutoX

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by nsau
I am going to go against the grain here and say go for it. It’s a manual, in the color you want. These engines are good for 150k+ miles. Sport chrono on a manual… whatever. I have it on mine and I hate the rev matching.

Two tone dash…awesome. The sun beating down on a tan dash, the reflections on the windshield are horrible.

As I kept reading your post all I could think is this is a car I would buy.

Yeah, I am a cash guy. I don’t finance (aka buy cars I can’t afford). This car will have some unexpected expenses but I’m not blindly going in without any money.

I want a pcar over a Miata or a corvette for a reason. And I want a very specific pcar (green, 991.1 2s). Resale is less important to me. I’m not buying it to sell it. I’m buying it to be my drivers car for the foreseeable future (5+ years). If these cars need new engines at 100k miles I think everyone on this forum needs to rethink their life decisions - seems a little too grim a perspective. I’ll be living in Palm Springs. Loads of indie pcar mechanics.

With that said, not gonna be seduced by the color or lower buy in. The red flags it has are real and I need to make sure this is a good car for me. The MPI will tell me a lot. My wife (family manager also needs to be onboard with the price.

I don’t ever use rev matching on cars. Kinda a cop out. The steering wheel is uglier but I love music and multifunction on the wheel is more important. Wish the seats were ventilated but I can wear shorts. I love that it is full leather and two toned. Super nice. And the head crests and armrest. Very nice touch for a particular man.

Most concerned right now about the wear and tear and maintenance of a 100k car. The main options are within my parameters.
Old 05-11-2024, 11:12 PM
hackheyward
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Having just finished a hunt for a manual transmission 991.1 cab, and having done quite a bit of research on what one should cost, here are a few thoughts:
  • The manual is rare, and people who want one will wait for one (very few people cross-shop a manual vs. a PDK) but they won't pay extra for one. So don't pay more for the manual on this one you found.
  • Unlike a 996 cab or a 997 cab, the 991 cab does not sell at a discount--there is no significant difference in cab vs. coupe value.
  • Regardless of the actual damage that resulted in the dirty Carfax, it will haunt the car for the rest of its life, so you should make sure you are getting the appropriate discount for the dirty Carfax when you buy.
  • The price does sound high for a 100K mile car. I paid just a few thousand more than you mention, and my car had 46K; also an unusual color but not custom; also a two owner car before me; and similar options (or lack of them). And mine was a 4S, which I was not particularly looking for but didn't mind, and which adds some value but not much.
  • Mileage on these very much matters to their value. There were six of these (early 991.1S cab MT) sold on Bring-A-Trailer within the last 12 months. Extrapolating price vs. mileage on those six would indicate the price you mention is about right for a 75K mile car, not a 100K mile car. DM me if you'd like the spreadsheet.
Good luck. I agree with people who say buy the car for you, not for the next owner, but that doesn't mean you need to overpay.
Old 05-12-2024, 07:02 PM
Jack F
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 757 Likes on 537 Posts

Crispy…Accident, scratched bumpers, torn bolster. This isn’t a steal so if youre shopping for a 911, maybe wait a bit longer and come to the table with some more money and get something in better condition? Look at the 991.1 and 991.2 PCM and see if that makes a difference to you.
Old 05-13-2024, 09:41 PM
Deven
Pro

Received 200 Likes on 102 Posts

I have not been following prices recently, but it sounds that the price of the car is somewhere between the 2nd owner price paid 3 months ago, and the current asking price. Not sure cosmetic repairs will cost much, and thus the second owner is 'flipping' the car and asking for a significant premium. On the flip side, if you live in a state where sales tax is not charged for private car sales, then the price might be correct (assuming the 2nd owner paid tax to the dealer).

That being said, if your plan is to keep the car 'forever' and essentially drive the car till it dies, then get what is most important to you. Personally, paint color is a huge factor for many (myself included), and it is highly unlikely you will find a similar PTS car of your choice in the future.

I would not worry about the mileage. I am actually impressed with it. The DFI engine (assuming it is the same as the 2009-2011) was over engineered to compensate for some of the issues from 2005-2008 and theoretically should last easily another 100000 miles. Just change the oil every 5000 miles.

My personal bias is I am not a fan of the reverse engineering that has been done to convert the PDK transmission to a manual, because it is not a direct linkage to the transmission like with the 6 speed. If you are getting a car that is 10+ years old, then I would instead get a 997.2 S in a manual instead. May cost the same (or more), but you will likely be getting a car that will not depress in price much, particularly the MT and Coupe.

Quick Reply: Good deal? (New to the Pcar)