Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Good deal? (New to the Pcar)

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2024, 03:22 PM
Nashvegas
Racer

Received 151 Likes on 98 Posts

I've always heard (and agree with) the idea that options and colors matter with Porsches. This is a great color combo of a Cabrio. A few thoughts...

--MT 7 speed is good and people like it -- but I'm also a diehard manual guy and I chose a PDK for my 991 as I felt it just as involving and better suited to the engine than the 7 speed.
-I'd miss sport chrono which on a 2013 would also include the "Sport +" button on the left side of the center console.
-It's got the tan interior but the dark tops... very cool. (ie NOT the tan dash and door tops which I totally dislike)
-It's got the uglier of the steering wheels. The sport one is better looking but you lose the multifunction.
-I wish it had PDCC (for cornering)
-F&R park distance is great on one of these (it's shocking how many don't have it)
-Porsche crest in headrests is cool, like.
-I'd wish it had Porsche Entry & Drive which lets you not use the key to get in and out (touch the door handle to lock/unlock - much more modern)

My take. For $63K for one with 100K miles you could indeed find one that has had no paintwork. Might want to keep looking and you'd be looking for a long time I'm sure, but green/tan is incredibly rare and that's a great color combo!

Old 05-09-2024, 04:19 PM
CSK 911 C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 848 Likes on 426 Posts

Good looking car. Not sure I could deal with the 2 tone dash. I'd have to change out a few pieces to make the top of the dash all one color.

Old 05-09-2024, 10:50 PM
VII7
Racer

Received 145 Likes on 96 Posts

That sounds pricey with that millage and an accident, missing some popular extras so make sure you are not going to miss them.

Also that dash looks off, guessing it was edited by owner to be more tan??
​​​​​​
The following users liked this post:
gforcealt (05-12-2024)
Old 05-10-2024, 12:01 AM
RJScheuerle
AutoX

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So did some research. Called the paint shop that did paint correction and alignment on the bumpers for the current owner (owner number 2). The body shop owner said the car doesn’t appear to have been in a real accident - no difference in paint depth, color, evidence of panels removed, etc. The minor damage on the carfax listed as an accident is in the same spot as a 3 inch dent he repaired. He believes it was a minor parking lot type incident the first owner took insurance money for but didn’t fix. He fixes mostly European imports (pcars, Ferraris, Audi, McLaren) so I trust his opinion. So yeah, may have a dirty carfax, but at least it sounds like the car hasn’t really been in an accident.

Really the only big issue is the higher mileage. I called the dealer that did the maintenance on the car for the first owner. They couldn’t share specifics but said that the car did have regular every 20k fluid changes, inspections, and recall updates.

I also got the current owner’s PPI from February. Only thing that popped up was the front and rear brake pads are 6mm. How much would estimate the brake pad replacement would be with install? Any recs?

Old 05-10-2024, 09:17 AM
Jim986
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 55 Posts

I wouldn’t buy it. Here’s why:

No sport exhaust
No sport chrono
No cooled seats (must have for convertible)
Too many miles
No clean carfax(this will come back to bite you when you sell it)
Price too high
Green color will be hard resell

There are lots of cars out there and apparently your willing to travel to get one, so be patient and wait for the right car.
The following 2 users liked this post by Jim986:
DailyDriver2023 (05-11-2024), jimmiejam (05-10-2024)
Old 05-10-2024, 09:41 AM
RJScheuerle
AutoX

Originally Posted by Jim986
I wouldn’t buy it. Here’s why:

No sport exhaust
No sport chrono
No cooled seats (must have for convertible)
Too many miles
No clean carfax(this will come back to bite you when you sell it)
Price too high

There are lots of cars out there and apparently your willing to travel to get one, so be patient and wait for the right car.
Thanks for this advice. Sport chrono is the one missing item I really hate is gone! I know it is essential for a PDK, but what does it bring to the table for a manual transmission that won’t be tracked? Other than looking awesome and matching my German Junghans auto-inspired watch?

Old 05-10-2024, 09:54 AM
Tier1Terrier
Rennlist Member

Received 966 Likes on 481 Posts

Originally Posted by RJScheuerle
Thanks for this advice. Sport chrono is the one missing item I really hate is gone! I know it is essential for a PDK, but what does it bring to the table for a manual transmission that won’t be tracked? Other than looking awesome and matching my German Junghans auto-inspired watch?
I love it for the rev-matching alone which is awesome as your downshifting into turns but it also adds dynamic engine mounts.
The following users liked this post:
Watson (05-13-2024)
Old 05-10-2024, 10:18 AM
ace10
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

Don't be seduced by the (seemingly) low cost to acquire.
This car will never cease to be a $150K vehicle to operate, maintain and repair.
At that age and mileage, I don't think there are any "extended warranty" options available.

Third owner syndrome is real.
Porsche tax is real.

And none of that means the 991 isn't a great car. Or isn't the right car. Just means that it will remain an expensive car to own right up to the moment it is dropped into the crusher at the end of its life.

(4) Rotors list $1550, discounted $1025
(4) sets of pads list $600, discounted $425
Aftermarket options obviously exist.

Disclosure: I am very risk averse. Would not own a modern luxury car out of warranty. I own many older high end vehicles and rely on indys to keep them running.

Last edited by ace10; 05-10-2024 at 10:27 AM.
Old 05-10-2024, 11:26 AM
RJScheuerle
AutoX

Green can def be a polarizing color. Some
hate it.

I don’t mind doing maintenance along the way. Plan on starting to get good at turning my own wrench with my Porsche. I just don’t want to be buying a car that immediately needs a $1500 brake job or other maintenance. That would result in a certain divorce for me. 😂 😭
Old 05-10-2024, 11:42 AM
RRF985
Intermediate

Received 31 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by RJScheuerle
Green can def be a polarizing color. Some
hate it.

I don’t mind doing maintenance along the way. Plan on starting to get good at turning my own wrench with my Porsche. I just don’t want to be buying a car that immediately needs a $1500 brake job or other maintenance. That would result in a certain divorce for me. 😂 😭
I hate to break it to you but you may be setting yourself up for disappointment. If you plan to have shops do the work for simple stuff like air filters, you’ll be paying tons. The rear bumper has to come off and places definitely charge a ton for doing so. Oil changes aren’t cheap either. It’s unfortunate but the Pcar tax is real. If you need brakes, FCP sells a front and rear kit with everything you need for $1100. So if the brakes are close to replacement you certainly will be paying $1500+ to replace them. I’d strongly consider the cost of consumables and maintenance on a 100k mile car. It will not be cheap.
Old 05-10-2024, 12:14 PM
tiiger
Rennlist Member

Received 125 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by Jim986
I might disagree with this.

I think you might have a smaller pool of potential buyers, but there are plenty of passionate types who will ignore the vast sea of whites/grays/silvers/blacks and gladly pay more to get a color.
Old 05-10-2024, 01:51 PM
Bud Taylor
Drifting

Received 430 Likes on 307 Posts

Puff Puff pass. This is not an american V8. The motor cost 25K to replace, 15K for a used one off ebay with unknown origins installed without warranty. I agree needs sports wheel and exhaust but those you can add. Sports Chrono can not be added. You can't fix mileage or it being a wreck. A shortcut on the money will end up being more expensive later. I would pass and buy a corvette or even a Miata for tracking at that price range.
Old 05-10-2024, 02:01 PM
jfischet
Three Wheelin'

Received 621 Likes on 365 Posts

Originally Posted by ace10
Don't be seduced by the (seemingly) low cost to acquire.
This car will never cease to be a $150K vehicle to operate, maintain and repair.
At that age and mileage, I don't think there are any "extended warranty" options available.

Third owner syndrome is real.
Porsche tax is real.

And none of that means the 991 isn't a great car. Or isn't the right car. Just means that it will remain an expensive car to own right up to the moment it is dropped into the crusher at the end of its life.

(4) Rotors list $1550, discounted $1025
(4) sets of pads list $600, discounted $425
Aftermarket options obviously exist.

Disclosure: I am very risk averse. Would not own a modern luxury car out of warranty. I own many older high end vehicles and rely on indys to keep them running.
911s are never crushed.
Old 05-10-2024, 05:58 PM
duxsi
Burning Brakes

Received 185 Likes on 124 Posts

I can personally attest to the fact that Sports Chrono gives you nothing with a MT.
The lack of a Sports exhaust can be addressed with numerous aftermarket options.(I barely use my Sport Exhaust option anymore.)

If it's a Florida car / seller, please be extra careful. Flooded and damaged cars tend to end up in Florida and CarFax isn't perfect.
Dealers should at least give you an idea of what wasn't done.
Color isn't going to be a problem because you're buying it for yourself, not the next owner..

Good luck.
Old 05-10-2024, 06:24 PM
ace10
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by jfischet
911s are never crushed.
Never? Not once ever? Nor at any time into the infinite future, never?

Quick Reply: Good deal? (New to the Pcar)