SPASM springs retrofit

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2024, 01:44 PM
Gachet
4th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default SPASM springs retrofit

Hello,

I have read all the threads about SPASM 991.2 in the forum but so far have not found a thread where someone has only retrofitted the springs.

For the 991.2 4 GTS Coupe, the SPASM (-20mm) sports suspension is actually part of the standard equipment. Optionally, you can go for PASM (-10mm) at no extra cost. This will then give the vehicle the optional equipment point 475 PASM. Unfortunately, my vehicle (991.2 4 GTS Coupe) was configured like this, even though it has the lift installed. Presumably, the previous owner found SPASM too stiff.

In any case, I would like to retrofit the SPASM, but ONLY the springs. Everything else would be too expensive.

I don't want H&R springs, but the original SPASM springs, which are shorter.

Has anyone of you already done this?

Best regards
Old 03-21-2024, 02:00 PM
PorscheAddict
Rennlist Member

Received 124 Likes on 77 Posts

Haven't done it, but I have SPASM springs and plan to swap to H&R and could sell you my stock ones. It'll be a few weeks down the road.
Old 03-22-2024, 08:47 AM
dogshyne
Instructor

Received 87 Likes on 52 Posts

I put spasm springs and struts on a 991.1 c4s and liked it much better than the base suspension. Loved it.
Old 03-22-2024, 09:47 AM
cbredesen
Rennlist Member

Received 236 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by PorscheAddict
Haven't done it, but I have SPASM springs and plan to swap to H&R and could sell you my stock ones. It'll be a few weeks down the road.
Related question: does anyone know how the H&R spring rates compare to S-PASM? Like literal measurements...
Old 03-22-2024, 10:11 AM
Gachet
4th Gear

Originally Posted by dogshyne
I put spasm springs and struts on a 991.1 c4s and liked it much better than the base suspension. Loved it.
Thank you very much for your feedback. That means you installed not only the springs but also the struts. Right? Why not just the springs?

Regardless, today I had contact with a Porsche driver who also wanted to retrofit SPASM springs in his 991.2 4 GTS Coupe. He, like me, planned to purchase only the springs from Porsche.

The springs were then installed by a Porsche Garage (not Porsche) with 40 years of experience. After a short drive, he heard a clicking noise from the rear right and immediately turned around and went back to the garage. They then determined that the springs were probably too soft and the last small coil of the spring slipped into the large coil. On the other side, this would probably have happened as well. He then had everything reverted to PASM and is now facing the same problem as me.

I had read in forums that it might be possible to install the springs without dampers, etc., but after hearing this story, I'm not so sure anymore. So my question still remains, is it possible to install only SPASM springs and what could be the reason that the small coil slipped into the large one on the mentioned vehicle, or how can this be prevented? Were the wrong springs used or is there still a part missing to prevent exactly this?

Thank you very much for your assessment and support.
Old 03-22-2024, 10:15 AM
cbredesen
Rennlist Member

Received 236 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by Gachet
Thank you very much for your feedback. That means you installed not only the springs but also the struts. Right? Why not just the springs?

Regardless, today I had contact with a Porsche driver who also wanted to retrofit SPASM springs in his 991.2 4 GTS Coupe. He, like me, planned to purchase only the springs from Porsche.

The springs were then installed by a Porsche Garage (not Porsche) with 40 years of experience. After a short drive, he heard a clicking noise from the rear right and immediately turned around and went back to the garage. They then determined that the springs were probably too soft and the last small coil of the spring slipped into the large coil. On the other side, this would probably have happened as well. He then had everything reverted to PASM and is now facing the same problem as me.

I had read in forums that it might be possible to install the springs without dampers, etc., but after hearing this story, I'm not so sure anymore. So my question still remains, is it possible to install only SPASM springs and what could be the reason that the small coil slipped into the large one on the mentioned vehicle, or how can this be prevented? Were the wrong springs used or is there still a part missing to prevent exactly this?

Thank you very much for your assessment and support.
Wait so are PASM and S-PASM using different dampers as well?
Old 03-22-2024, 12:12 PM
Gachet
4th Gear

Originally Posted by cbredesen
Wait so are PASM and S-PASM using different dampers as well?
Yes, retrofitting SPASM is much more extensive and also very costly.

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/9004...ck-pasm-2.html

full factory -20 Sport-PASM option has shorter stiffer springs X 4 , stiffer roll bars x2 , stiffer roll bar bushings x4 ( no need to change roll bars or their bushings if it has PDCC ) , different struts with proper shorter piston rods x 4 , shorter strut dust covers and shorter strut bumpers x 4

Therefore, it would be interesting to know if only the springs can be installed.

The following 2 users liked this post by Gachet:
cbredesen (03-22-2024), WAM (03-22-2024)
Old 04-23-2024, 02:34 PM
Gachet
4th Gear

After finding the following topic, I knew it was possible to only swap out the springs. However, you also need the rear lower spring cups (plate/perch) for this. With the shorter SPASM springs, the spring cup is larger, preventing the wider spring from slipping through.

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/1303...carrera-2.html

Now to my question: There are grooves on the rear shock absorbers that allow you to lower the perch in 3-4 stages to lower the car at the rear. There are some videos, for example, from Eibach or H&R springs, which show the perch being set to the lowest stage, as Eibach and H&R springs are also lower at the front.

With SPASM, the highest stage is set, and if you go too low, the rear of the car would be lower. However, I also don't want this conical look, but rather want it to look the same at the rear as at the front. Can I go slightly lower at the rear with SPASM using the rings or leave them at the top? Who has done this before? Since I'm not doing it myself, I want to give clear instructions to avoid doing the same work twice.

​​​​​​​Thank you

Quick Reply: SPASM springs retrofit