Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Numeric shifter issues

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2024, 11:44 PM
Intermediate

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Numeric shifter issues

It's been about 3 month since I installed Numeric Shifter. I was very happy at first, shifts were very precise and solid, absolutely zero play from the shifter, but recently I noticed that it doesn't feel as nice as it used to. Looking into it more, turns out shifter developed quite a lot of horizontal play. At this point, it's almost as bad as stock one.
Can someone who used this shifter for a while share their experience and if it's as loose as mine is? Or maybe some ideas about how to fix it. Hate the idea of taking the whole thing apart, but seems like like it'll come to that
Attaching videos of it
https://streamable.com/7tv6gj
https://streamable.com/85yrux
Old 02-20-2024, 11:46 PM
MPawelek
Racer

Received 173 Likes on 89 Posts

Have you called the company to see what they say or recommend?
Old 02-20-2024, 11:54 PM
Intermediate

I haven't. They would not pick up the phone or answer my emails when I placed my order back in November, so decided to ask here first

Last edited by 402; 02-21-2024 at 05:13 AM.
Old 02-22-2024, 03:17 PM
boldish
Advanced

Received 48 Likes on 28 Posts

Your post made me paranoid so I went to my car and check out my Numeric shifter (installed maybe 4 months ago).

It does seem to have a bit more side to side wiggle than I remember, but not nearly as much as the stock shifter did. I don't have any extra forward or backward movement. Certain positions like 2nd have extra movement to the left with no extra movement to the right while 5th/6th have extra movement to the right with no extra movement to the left.
If the Numeric shifter has started to get a bit more play with use, it's possible that it continues to increase with additional use so I'll keep an eye on it.

Have you installed the Numeric cables?
I have not yet, but I plan to in the next month. I'm interested to see what affect that has.

Regarding contacting Numeric, they are known to be pretty hard to get a hold of.
Old 02-22-2024, 03:45 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by boldish
Your post made me paranoid so I went to my car and check out my Numeric shifter (installed maybe 4 months ago).

It does seem to have a bit more side to side wiggle than I remember, but not nearly as much as the stock shifter did. I don't have any extra forward or backward movement. Certain positions like 2nd have extra movement to the left with no extra movement to the right while 5th/6th have extra movement to the right with no extra movement to the left.
If the Numeric shifter has started to get a bit more play with use, it's possible that it continues to increase with additional use so I'll keep an eye on it.

Have you installed the Numeric cables?
I have not yet, but I plan to in the next month. I'm interested to see what affect that has.

Regarding contacting Numeric, they are known to be pretty hard to get a hold of.
Yeah, only horizontal wiggle. Some gears more than others. I took off center console yesterday to see what exactly happening, it seems like there are a couple factors at play.

First is left shifter cable seem to have some slack. Not sure if it's coming from gearbox or the cable itself.
Second is the spring in shifter itself. Seems like with time it became more relaxed and initial couple mm of travel are too easy, extrapolated to to the top of the shifter and it becomes more noticeable.

Starting to think about getting Numeric cables as well, but first need to make sure that will solve my issues

Do you plan to install them yourself? I heard it's quite a pain and instructions or not very clear, so curious how many hours it would take for independent shop to do it.
Old 02-22-2024, 04:17 PM
boldish
Advanced

Received 48 Likes on 28 Posts

Yea, I do plan on installing them myself but it is going to be a bit of a pain since you need access to under the car.
Old 02-22-2024, 05:02 PM
The Ox
Rennlist Member

Received 129 Likes on 81 Posts

Sorry to hear this. Mine was installed by my Indy shop 3 years ago (plus cables) , over 40 track days, no issues. Hope you can resolve this.
Old 02-22-2024, 05:29 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by boldish
Yea, I do plan on installing them myself but it is going to be a bit of a pain since you need access to under the car.
Nice! Would greatly appreciate if you record horizontal movement before and after the install to compare to mine

Originally Posted by The Ox
Sorry to hear this. Mine was installed by my Indy shop 3 years ago (plus cables) , over 40 track days, no issues. Hope you can resolve this.
Thanks. I wonder if it actually has to do with cables. My car is on the higher side mileage wise, so maybe they become more loose with time

Old 02-24-2024, 01:20 AM
NJ991
Rennlist Member

Received 368 Likes on 214 Posts

I’m going to tell you what the issue probably is. This happened with my numeric shifter. Uninstall it and look at the base. You’ll notice that the screws are loose or have fallen out. Last year I installed my shifter and it felt great. It should not lose that feeling. I also noticed a small rattle. I finally got around to looking at it recently(I don’t drive the car in the winter). Once I did, I noticed almost every bolt holding in the base was loose or fell out and into the mounting area. Fortunately I was able to find them and secure the bolts back in. Give it a try, it’ll be curious to see what your issue is.
Old 02-24-2024, 01:26 AM
Joec500
Rennlist Member

Received 1,021 Likes on 607 Posts

I have 50k + miles on mine, many track days, stop and go LA traffic. ZERO play.

Old 02-24-2024, 02:47 AM
malahhaor
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 103 Posts

Had mine for over 4 years. First mod i did to the car. Knock on wood feels and works same as the day i got it.
Are you sure its the shifter that gives you the play? Check if cables might be getting loose?
Old 02-24-2024, 03:49 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by NJ991
I’m going to tell you what the issue probably is. This happened with my numeric shifter. Uninstall it and look at the base. You’ll notice that the screws are loose or have fallen out. Last year I installed my shifter and it felt great. It should not lose that feeling. I also noticed a small rattle. I finally got around to looking at it recently(I don’t drive the car in the winter). Once I did, I noticed almost every bolt holding in the base was loose or fell out and into the mounting area. Fortunately I was able to find them and secure the bolts back in. Give it a try, it’ll be curious to see what your issue is.
That's the first thing that came to mind. Took center console off yesterday, everything is tight and bolted properly. There was however one bolt on the shifter, the one holding shifter's spring mechanism, that I was able to tighten quite a bit. Also adjusted horizontal cable connection slightly and did notice an improvement.

Originally Posted by malahhaor
Had mine for over 4 years. First mod i did to the car. Knock on wood feels and works same as the day i got it.
Are you sure its the shifter that gives you the play? Check if cables might be getting loose?
I'm starting to think this contributes as well. Should there be any horizontal movement when in gear? Maybe I'm just pushing on it too hard and it's normal? Just odd that it became worse with time.
I wonder if there is a way to tighten horizontal shifter cable somehow
Old 02-24-2024, 06:17 PM
RennPart
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 370 Likes on 158 Posts

Jordan is great to work with at Numeric. If you can't get your issue sorted I'd be happy to ask him Monday as I have an order to put in with him.

I've installed about 4 sets of cables in the past several months and I always make sure to get the wrench on the ends to tighten at the gearbox (and interior) side- I know it's a pain to access the gearbox nuts but you want these tight. Usually if the cable ends pop out at the trans side you won't be able to go into reverse etc.

On track cars I use a zip tie as well as a safety measure.

--Aaron

rennpart.com | Phone: 336-793-2134 |Email: ace@rennpart.com

Instagram | Facebook
Old 02-24-2024, 08:49 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by RennPart
Jordan is great to work with at Numeric. If you can't get your issue sorted I'd be happy to ask him Monday as I have an order to put in with him.

I've installed about 4 sets of cables in the past several months and I always make sure to get the wrench on the ends to tighten at the gearbox (and interior) side- I know it's a pain to access the gearbox nuts but you want these tight. Usually if the cable ends pop out at the trans side you won't be able to go into reverse etc.

On track cars I use a zip tie as well as a safety measure.

--Aaron
Thanks Aaron, that would be appreciated. But from responses here it seems like it's a cables thing.

I'll try to get cables looked at next week at a local shop and see if they can be tightened, since I don't have a way to lift the car at home.

Seems like original video links aren't working anymore so I reuploaded:
https://streamable.com/fkux2p
https://streamable.com/w2c49z

Old 02-24-2024, 11:38 PM
malahhaor
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by 402

Seems like original video links aren't working anymore so I reuploaded:
https://streamable.com/fkux2p
I have about half maybe even less of that movement when in gear.
Car should be coming out of storage in couple weeks I'll double check for ya.
The following users liked this post:
402 (02-24-2024)

Quick Reply: Numeric shifter issues