Untouched for 4 years

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2024, 03:58 AM
Gorilla_911
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Untouched for 4 years

Hello,
Finally zero-ing in on my first Porsche. I found a 2016 991.2 Cab with SC and PSE, and only 17,000 kms (~10k miles) from a 3rd party prestige dealer. There is a catch though:
- Car was serviced by Porsche through 2019 (have validated service history with Porsche)
- When COVID hit, previous owner left the country and left the car in a garage
- They claim car got serviced in 2022 at an indie mechanic, but they are having trouble finding any evidence (so worst case car hasn't been serviced or driven since 2019)

I've booked a PPI at Porsche next week, but I'm wondering if it's even worth spending the money ($1,200 without compression test, $1,600 with compression test in Melbourne). The dealer dropped the price where now it's the cheapest 991.2 on the market and said they'd pay for whatever repairs Porsche suggests. Unfortunately extended warranty has lapsed.

So on one hand - it's a potential deal on a low km, barely touched car. Assuming Porsche drains all the fluids and gets everything up to their satisfaction, it should be okay?
On the other hand - is this going to bite me in the *** in a year when something catastrophic blows. Is it going to kill my resale value? (if so, by how much so that I can price that into the price I pay)?

Thoughts? Run or buy?
Old 02-08-2024, 04:33 AM
Speed2k
Burning Brakes

Received 284 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by Gorilla_911
Hello,
Finally zero-ing in on my first Porsche. I found a 2016 991.2 Cab with SC and PSE, and only 17,000 kms (~10k miles) from a 3rd party prestige dealer. There is a catch though:
- Car was serviced by Porsche through 2019 (have validated service history with Porsche)
- When COVID hit, previous owner left the country and left the car in a garage
- They claim car got serviced in 2022 at an indie mechanic, but they are having trouble finding any evidence (so worst case car hasn't been serviced or driven since 2019)

I've booked a PPI at Porsche next week, but I'm wondering if it's even worth spending the money ($1,200 without compression test, $1,600 with compression test in Melbourne). The dealer dropped the price where now it's the cheapest 991.2 on the market and said they'd pay for whatever repairs Porsche suggests. Unfortunately extended warranty has lapsed.

So on one hand - it's a potential deal on a low km, barely touched car. Assuming Porsche drains all the fluids and gets everything up to their satisfaction, it should be okay?
On the other hand - is this going to bite me in the *** in a year when something catastrophic blows. Is it going to kill my resale value? (if so, by how much so that I can price that into the price I pay)?

Thoughts? Run or buy?
If the PPI checks out and it’s a good deal, I wouldn’t have any problems with it. My car had lower mileage than your car when I bought it last year. It sat for at least two years, if not longer. Except for tge coolant issue (fixed under warranty), it runs fine and I probably drive it harder than the previous two owners as well.
The following 3 users liked this post by Speed2k:
Cityfisher (02-08-2024), SConn (02-09-2024), Tpup (02-08-2024)
Old 02-08-2024, 04:47 AM
duxsi
Burning Brakes

Received 171 Likes on 115 Posts

Sitting idle isn't going to kill a car.
It's how it's started up after sitting idle that will make the difference.
How many miles were added between the last recorded service and today?
Even if it was (or wasn't serviced), a change of plugs, belt, filters and oil (and perhaps a brake flush) isn't a major service.
Tires may also need replacing due to flat spots or dry rot. All depends on how it was stored.

If you bought a car with a full service history it could still blow up after a year.
How it's driven is just as important as how it was maintained.

If a skipped service is that much if a concern to you (along with the impact on the resale value) then I suggest you move on for your own peace of mind.
But in realty, buying any car for with a resale value in mind is fruitless.

As for the PPI cost concerns, tell them to start with the basic PPI and only if everything checks out finish up with the compression test (as an added option).
Any future owner would appreciate the honesty and supporting documentation of what YOU did when you purchased the vehicle.

Last edited by duxsi; 02-09-2024 at 09:31 AM.
Old 02-08-2024, 08:10 AM
Tbounds
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 51 Posts

I would treat like it needed the 40k mile service or have cpo inspection
The following 2 users liked this post by Tbounds:
Cityfisher (02-08-2024), subshooter (02-08-2024)
Old 02-08-2024, 08:19 AM
Thud
AutoX

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I think you are doing the right thing getting the PPI. Just in case it has sat idle for different reason than you are being told......
Old 02-08-2024, 09:41 AM
Bud Taylor
Drifting

Received 404 Likes on 289 Posts
Default I would buy it

As I value low mileage. If the PPI checks out you are good to go...you plan on having the PPI done somewhere other than the selling dealer right (including paint meter readings) ? As mentioned change tires (depending on date code) and brake fluid. If it runs out good and is below 30k miles im not worried about the compression part of a PPI.

Last edited by Bud Taylor; 02-08-2024 at 09:42 AM.
Old 02-08-2024, 09:56 AM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

Received 2,144 Likes on 983 Posts

Originally Posted by Tbounds
I would treat like it needed the 40k mile service or have cpo inspection

^^^Exactly.

No need to get compression tests or anything like that. Car is likely just fine. It does need to be driven though. Just like our bodies need to not sit in a bed for four years.

Do the 40k service, PPI and hammer the car.
The following users liked this post:
jfischet (02-09-2024)
Old 02-08-2024, 06:01 PM
Gorilla_911
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks everyone - very helpful. I needed the collective knowledge of the internet to give me conviction that it's fine. I always read on these forums that these engines last forever if they're serviced regularly, but it sounds like the service is less important if they're not driven.

I will check the kms at the last Porsche service today.

Will trust the PPI to tell me if any rubber or seals are cracked and need replacing as well.

Goal is to get PPI on Wednesday, hopefully service right after, buy the car on Thursday, and then stretch its legs over 3 days driving up the coast from Melbourne to Sydney (~1,000 kms of twistys)
Old 02-08-2024, 09:38 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 649 Likes on 452 Posts

Why not?

I bought my 2015 991.1 with a 7-speed manual 3Y and 1M after it was first delivered to the original owner with 157 kms on it. Yes a new "used" car. I did do a check on it with my Defelsco paint thickness gauge and running an over-rev check on it with my Durametric. I did get all the service history (very little considering the mileage) with an oil & oil filter change half way through the time he owned it. Other maintenance items (brake fluid?) were un-necessarily replaced as well.

The car has been flawless since I took possession in 2018. Of course, buying used there is always a risk, especially without a warranty. Are there insurance companies in Oz that warranty used vehicles?
Old 02-08-2024, 09:51 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 649 Likes on 452 Posts

Goal is to get PPI on Wednesday, hopefully service right after, buy the car on Thursday, and then stretch its legs over 3 days driving up the coast from Melbourne to Sydney (~1,000 kms of twistys)
Hopefully not the A1. LOL

I just saw a motorcycle ride report in the Omeo (Vic) and then Googled the road to Glen Valley and then the C531, C543 and C545 north of Omeo. Those roads damn twisty. I wish I had my motorcycle here. And lucky you, you have Bathurst/Mount Panorama in your area. What a track.

Quick Reply: Untouched for 4 years