Sponsored by:

991.2 Multifunction VIN activation code

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2023, 06:13 PM
dc7391
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 991.2 Multifunction VIN activation code

I have a 2018 911 Turbo S 991.2. It didn’t come with multifunction steering wheel controls. So following some of the posts on this great forum, I bought and installed the steering wheel controls into the same steering wheel that came with the car. I also used the factory module the car came with as it had provisions for the steering wheel controls plugs. OE/OEM Part Number 95B959538c, 95B959537c for the controls.
Took the car to the dealer and they have programed the multifunction but after several hours they can't get them to work. They say I need a vin activation code.
I was told by someone that the 991.2 didn't need a vin activation code.
Anyone have any experience/success with this? Thank you in advance.
Old 12-13-2023, 11:06 PM
ash_schwin
Rennlist Member

Received 420 Likes on 177 Posts

Which dealer did you happen to take the car to? My dealer tried to do the programming and said it failed as well but when I went to go test it on the car, everything worked great! I took my car to Porsche Ontario to get the programming done.
Old 12-14-2023, 12:44 PM
911BOSS
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

I also installed a new multi-function steering wheel controls into my 2018 Sports steering wheel with sports chrono and obtained the activation code from the Russian gentleman that sells the code based on your VIN. After using my Launch 431X Pro to load the code, which indicated code accepted, and also setting the "enable multi-function" bit to on, I was not able to get my MF switches to work.

It was my understanding that the dealer can request the activation code when you take it to them and pay them to re-program your steering wheel control module. At least one person on YouTube was successful with that approach. I will probably take mine to the locale dealer and pay them to use their programming tool to get the switches to work. I will let you know if they use my boot legged code or one they download.

Here is a photo of my OEM steering wheel module that I plugged my switches into.

The following users liked this post:
dc7391 (12-19-2023)
Old 12-15-2023, 01:05 AM
polobai
Drifting

Received 1,124 Likes on 669 Posts

You need to swap your module to one that is already programmed for multifunction. That should do the truck without additional software/coding.
dc7391 (12-19-2023)
Old 12-15-2023, 11:02 AM
911BOSS
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by polobai
You need to swap your module to one that is already programmed for multifunction. That should do the truck without additional software/coding.
I agree that should work, but where do you find one? I tried to buy just the module off of ebay that was supposedly from a MF wheel and it did not work. My paddles and SC switch worked as before, but not the MF switches. Does that imply it was not from a MF wheel?

Were you able to have the dealer program yours and if so did they have access to the activation code? Thanks
Old 12-15-2023, 02:40 PM
polobai
Drifting

My dealer swapped my module and charged me for an hours labor. I don’t believe they did any coding. I know that if you reach out to a few sellers on eBay and explain what you are trying to do they will try to accommodate. That’s how my friend got his module and it plugged up and worked fine.
The following 2 users liked this post by polobai:
911BOSS (12-15-2023), dc7391 (12-19-2023)
Old 12-19-2023, 01:28 PM
dc7391
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Thank you for the feedback guys. It's frustrating to say the least. Does anyone know the correct part number for the MF control module for a 991.2 Turbo s?
Old 12-20-2023, 12:49 AM
polobai
Drifting

Yes, very frustrating I would imagine. The part number is the same-it’s all down to programming and which have been set up for multifunction.
911BOSS (12-20-2023)
Old 12-21-2023, 03:12 PM
Got Bearings?
Rennlist Member

Received 66 Likes on 38 Posts

I'm in the same boat here. I purchased 2 modules on eBay and neither work. At first I purchased 95B.959.256.C and went to a dealer friend who said he couldn't see the module and couldn't program it. He asked me if it came with a paper with a code on it and I said no, bought it used off eBay. He told me to buy a module with Sport Chrono (F suffix) and it should be plug and play since the SC module comes with MF already coded. He was shocked when I told him it still didn't work. I haven't taken it back to him to check it out though.

Looking for any ideas here.....
Old 12-21-2023, 03:21 PM
Revsportz
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

I have 2019 carrera t with sport chrono but without multifunction and all I did was buy the switches and the steering module from a car with multifunction switch already. The module from my car and the one I bought is the same PN but the difference is the module I purchased is already coded with switches, for heat you need the steering wheel/ airbag harness to have it and matching module also.
polobai (12-23-2023)
Old 12-22-2023, 07:10 PM
911BOSS
Rennlist Member

I just got my '18 991.2 PDK back from the local Porsche dealer and I am very confused now. They spent an hour trying to code my sprots chrono steering wheel (photo above) that I added MF switches to and were not able to get the switches to work. They are telling me now in order to add MF to my car I will need to purchase almost $6K in parts (see below) and then pay them to install and program the new parts. The parts include a new MF steering wheel, new clock spring, lower steering column trim, new column MF switch, and new black steering wheel trim pieces.

The service writer even joked with me that for that kind of money I should trade my car in a new one that has a MF steering wheel. I was not amused to say the least.

The tech had the same issue I had when I used my Launch X431 Pro-mini to load the MF activation code and enable the functions. The code successfully loads and rule code indicates "MF enabled", but the switches still don't work. I thought my issue was that my scan tool was not able to make the changes.

It seems to me that I already have all those parts on my car. Is a new clock spring required to add MF to an existing Sport Chrono wheel? I have heard for heating this is needed but not MF. I am basing this on videos that show just adding switches and control module that came with switches that enable the MF option to work. My control module is the 95B-959-256-F that is used for MF, SC, and heat in a 911.2.

Maybe the only way to add this function is source a used wheel that has MF working? Buying a new wheel from Porsche, 991-044-400-33-A43, still requires the dealer to program the function assuming this is all one needs? Sorry not a lot of help here.

Last edited by 911BOSS; 12-22-2023 at 07:52 PM. Reason: Add Attachment
Old 12-22-2023, 10:55 PM
mffarrell
Drifting

Received 242 Likes on 174 Posts

That’s crazy!
Old 12-28-2023, 12:40 PM
911BOSS
Rennlist Member

I am still trying to sort through what the dealer told me after attempting to program my MF switches. They did confirm that the enable code in my steering wheel control module was correct (from Russia) and the functions were set to "on". The $4268.98 in parts listed include a new MF sport chorno steering wheel, column lever switch without the MF control stalk, plug for the hole where my current MF column stalk is, new clock spring, new lower column trim piece, and the steering wheel bolt.

I have confirmed that my existing steering wheel control module, 95B-959-256-F, is the correct one for MF, SC, PDK, and Heat. I can't see where a new clock spring would help given that it already connects the steering control module to the car with the commands from the paddles and SC ****. The new wheel comes with heat, which does require a new clock spring with a heat connector.

So I am puzzled why my switches will not work and why a new wheel, clock spring, and removing the MF column stalk with make it work? Given others have installed a used control module from a MF wheel and have it work, even with the old MF control stalk and clock spring, I can only assume that those modules have some type of " hard coding" for that applications which is why the dealer wants me to buy a new wheel. The dealer did say that the new wheel will still have to be programmed with the enable code. I am in the process of trying to find a used MF wheel to swap over the control module, however in the mean time if anyone has suggestion or insight into installing a new clock spring or deleting the MF column switch of what else to try or look for I would appreciate that.
Old 12-28-2023, 03:53 PM
polobai
Drifting

I dont believe any of that will work. Why not see if you can get a local to allow you to try their existing module (that works with their multifunction wheel) and see if that solves it? If it does, then you know for sure thats what you need before buying thousands in parts (that probably wont solve the issue)? If you were local to south Florida I would be willing to let you try mine.
Old 12-28-2023, 05:16 PM
911BOSS
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by polobai
I dont believe any of that will work. Why not see if you can get a local to allow you to try their existing module (that works with their multifunction wheel) and see if that solves it? If it does, then you know for sure thats what you need before buying thousands in parts (that probably wont solve the issue)? If you were local to south Florida I would be willing to let you try mine.
I agree and that is a really great idea. I really appreciate the offer, but I am on the other coast. I have a neighbor who has a 2019 Macan with the MF sports wheel with heat. We have done work on each other's cars and I think he will let me try the swap. I will post back how that goes along with the specifics of the control module he lets me borrow. Thanks for the advice!
Got Bearings? (01-05-2024)

Quick Reply: 991.2 Multifunction VIN activation code