991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

991.2 Multifunction VIN activation code

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2024 | 12:38 PM
Got Bearings?
Rennlist Member

@911BOSS That's interesting information on the swap Because of your post, I decided to swap the module on my car (F suffix) to the first one I purchased.(E suffix) to see what would happen. To my surprise, MF worked without any additional coding - just a straight swap. This leads me to believe the coding is done elsewhere than in the steering wheel module (???).

I've been trying to help @dc7391 get his MF to work. He pretty much followed what I did, including getting a VIN activation code and it didn't work for him. Since I don't have SC, I kept the "E" module in my car and I'm sending the "F" module to him. I'm hoping it works but I'm curious why the VIN code worked for me but not for him.

To recap what I did:
1. I purchased module 95B.959.256.E (non-SC) from eBay and MF didn't work
2. Then purchased module 95B.959.256.F (w/ SC) from eBay and still MF didn't work
3. Used ThinkDiag to enter the 16 digit VIN activation code from Navi-Expert.com (Russian dude) and MF still didn't work
4. Used ThinkDiag to "flip the switch" to YES in the code (see post #21)... then MF worked

Thoughts?
The following users liked this post:
cbredesen (02-11-2024)
Old 01-18-2024 | 11:36 AM
911BOSS
Rennlist Member

With regard to programming the steering control module with a scanner, I am pretty sure now that we are not communicating with the small box in the in the steering wheel. Looking at the options on my scan tool there are far too many things you can do, like change the EPAS steering response, that the little black box in the wheel could not possibly manage. Instead I think that black box in the steering wheel is just a CAN Bus multiplexer that connects all the steering wheel switches (MF, SC, PDK paddles, heat) to the real steering control module somewhere else in the car via the clock spring connector. I would love someone else to confirm the location of the steering control module?

This would explain a why even after successfully storing the enable code in the steering control module on my car the new MF switches did not work until a new steering wheel black box that is set up for MF is installed. It would also explain why the dealer wanted me to buy a buy a new wheel with MF switches to add that feature after they successfully loaded the enable code into my steering wheel control module.

I was able to source a used MF wheel with MF, SC, PDK, and heat and install the black box from that wheel into my wheel and my MF switches immediately worked with no errors. What I would really like to know is if you can order a new steering wheel black box from Porsche with a VIN from a car with all the functions, install it, load the enable code, and flip the functions bit and have it work. Unfortunately the dealer will not let me return electrical parts if that does not work.

Old 05-17-2024 | 05:45 AM
StyLeZ P
2nd Gear

I can confirm what @911BOSS said.
I bought an used 718 Cayman Multifunction Steering wheel and it worked directly in my 718 Cayman that only had the right bottom control stalk.

When i put my old module in the MuFu steering wheel, the buttons stopped working. So it is necessary to buy a steering wheel where the module and buttons have been coded/activated already.

No online activation code necessary.

With ThinkDiag i also coded the diamond button, so i now have a fully functional MuFu steering wheel. :-)

Last edited by StyLeZ P; 05-17-2024 at 06:16 AM. Reason: Picture added

Quick Reply: 991.2 Multifunction VIN activation code