Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

991.2 Multifunction VIN activation code

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2023, 05:19 PM
dc7391
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Man, i really thought after watching several videos and giving the car to the dealer for a few hours this would be handled. SO frustrating.
I really appreciate all yours guys input and hope someone can shed some light on this for us.
How can someone order a car like this and cheap out on something so standard in ALL my other cars. Even going back 20 years.

Old 12-28-2023, 05:40 PM
911BOSS
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by polobai
I dont believe any of that will work. Why not see if you can get a local to allow you to try their existing module (that works with their multifunction wheel) and see if that solves it? If it does, then you know for sure thats what you need before buying thousands in parts (that probably wont solve the issue)? If you were local to south Florida I would be willing to let you try mine.
I forgot to ask if your 911 or Tier1's 911 shown in the video already had a heated steering wheel and therefore the MF+Heat Clock Spring? That is the only reason I can see that I would need to replace the clock spring due to the main connector having the wiring required to relay the signals from the control module. It would also explain why even after a successfully coding my wheel the MF still does not work. The GPS site mentions something about this, but it is not clear to me it apples to 991.2 with Sports Chrono. I would think that all the CAN Bus signals from the steering wheel control module pass through the same set of wires and pins in the clock spring regardless of the installed functions. Thanks
Old 12-28-2023, 05:42 PM
dc7391
Advanced

Mine did not come with a heated steering wheel. I live in SoCal and dont need to add it unless i "have" too.
Old 12-28-2023, 06:10 PM
polobai
Drifting

Received 1,124 Likes on 669 Posts

Originally Posted by 911BOSS
I forgot to ask if your 911 or Tier1's 911 shown in the video already had a heated steering wheel and therefore the MF+Heat Clock Spring? That is the only reason I can see that I would need to replace the clock spring due to the main connector having the wiring required to relay the signals from the control module. It would also explain why even after a successfully coding my wheel the MF still does not work. The GPS site mentions something about this, but it is not clear to me it apples to 991.2 with Sports Chrono. I would think that all the CAN Bus signals from the steering wheel control module pass through the same set of wires and pins in the clock spring regardless of the installed functions. Thanks
We did not change our clock springs-but we dont the heated option (no need for it here in FL). If we wanted the heated option, we would have to get the new clockspring and the rear button/trim to go with it as well. I can confirm that the Macan controls/module should work fine-I know I use the Macan buttons on mine.
The following users liked this post:
911BOSS (12-29-2023)
Old 01-04-2024, 01:06 PM
Got Bearings?
Rennlist Member

Received 66 Likes on 38 Posts

I got my Multi Function working using an $80 ThinkDiag OBD2 Scannner I read on this thread and my phone. It was stupid easy and did it while at a stop light thumbing through the various sections. I will post details later today (just got to the office) but here's where you can purchase it. Use code: THINKCAR20 for 20% off!

EDIT: Coding only works on Android devices, not on Apple

https://mythinkcar.com/products/thin...id=11k8_47ijf&

Last edited by Got Bearings?; 01-05-2024 at 08:44 PM.
Old 01-04-2024, 04:49 PM
Got Bearings?
Rennlist Member

I took a bunch of screenshots and will try to recreate this from memory. I'm only posting a few select select screenshots but the path is noted below. Let me know if the path needs a little tweaking... I found this while poking around the app at a stop light.

All Systems Diagnostic -> Use VIN Decode then then select Porsche (will need to DL) -> Automatic Search -> System Selection -> Steering Wheel Electronic -> Code/brush Hiding -> Rule Coding -> Coding value -> Coding value_1 _MF Steering wheel ->Click on this (window will open) and change from "NO" to "YES" & then click on WRITE CODE.

Last edited by Got Bearings?; 01-04-2024 at 05:41 PM.
Old 01-04-2024, 05:05 PM
dc7391
Advanced

Wow, congrats!!! So did you buy a steering wheel vin activation code that you entered?

Last edited by dc7391; 01-04-2024 at 05:06 PM. Reason: Remove all the images from quoted post
Old 01-04-2024, 05:12 PM
Got Bearings?
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by dc7391
Wow, congrats!!! So did you buy a steering wheel vin activation code that you entered?
I did buy it (from some Russian guy) and tried to enter it on ThinkDiag... still didn't work. Still shows up as ZEROs. Another $100 wasted.... Hopefully this saves someone a few bucks.

Last edited by Got Bearings?; 01-04-2024 at 05:14 PM.
The following users liked this post:
dc7391 (01-04-2024)
Old 01-04-2024, 05:20 PM
Got Bearings?
Rennlist Member

@dc7391 I see that you're in SoCal. I live in the LAX area and work in Century City. I'll be more than happy to try it on your car if you want to meet up.
Old 01-04-2024, 05:34 PM
dc7391
Advanced

Super nice of you thanks. I just ordered one so lemme see how it goes. Thanks again.

Originally Posted by Got Bearings?
@dc7391 I see that you're in SoCal. I live in the LAX area and work in Century City. I'll be more than happy to try it on your car if you want to meet up.
Old 01-05-2024, 12:37 PM
wkearney99
Rennlist Member

Received 192 Likes on 132 Posts

I did buy it (from some Russian guy) and tried to enter it on ThinkDiag... still didn't work. Still shows up as ZEROs. Another $100 wasted.... Hopefully this saves someone a few bucks.
Is this because the code was bogus or because the app wasn't able to properly activate it?
Old 01-05-2024, 12:54 PM
Got Bearings?
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by wkearney99
Is this because the code was bogus or because the app wasn't able to properly activate it?
The latter
Old 01-05-2024, 08:37 PM
911BOSS
Rennlist Member

Your enable code you purchased is valid and your scanner did load the enable code or you would not have been able to flip a switch (bit) on the coding value screed and have the MF switches work. I confirmed with the Porsche tech who tried to get mine to work that the enable codes are not displayed, rather you get a code accepted success screen if they are saved. I just confirmed this by looking at friend's MF wheel with heat and could only see "0" in both of those fields. They may not want them displayed to prevent sharing them between VINs?

Anyway congratulations on a working MF wheel and thanks for sharing all the information on setting that up. I have convinced a friend to let me swap steering wheel modules from his Macan sports wheel with MF to see if finally does the trick for me.
Old 01-05-2024, 08:51 PM
Got Bearings?
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 911BOSS
Your enable code you purchased is valid and your scanner did load the enable code or you would not have been able to flip a switch (bit) on the coding value screed and have the MF switches work. I confirmed with the Porsche tech who tried to get mine to work that the enable codes are not displayed, rather you get a code accepted success screen if they are saved. I just confirmed this by looking at friend's MF wheel with heat and could only see "0" in both of those fields. They may not want them displayed to prevent sharing them between VINs?

Anyway congratulations on a working MF wheel and thanks for sharing all the information on setting that up. I have convinced a friend to let me swap steering wheel modules from his Macan sports wheel with MF to see if finally does the trick for me.
Thanks.

You may be on to something regarding the acceptance/enabling of the "Russian activation code" and being able to flip the switch. I do have a second module that I have not coded with the activation code. I can swap them out and see if I can get to the same screen and/or be able to flip the switch. Hopefully that will confirm that the module did accept the activation code.... probably similar to you swapping modules.
Old 01-12-2024, 09:25 PM
911BOSS
Rennlist Member

I was able to "borrow" my neighbor's 2019 Macan PDK Sports Steering wheel with Sports Chrono, heat, and multifunction for a day. All I did was swap steering wheels and the MF worked in my 2018 911 with PDK and SC.

We then pulled the steering wheel control module from the Macan and temporarily transplanted that into my wheel and my recently added MF switches worked perfectly. This is a similar approaches used by Tier1 in his excellent video.

Here are a couple of observations:

1. You do not need a different clock spring with heat that comes in the Sun Coast upgrade kit unless you want to add heat. No error codes were stored in my car after this exercise.
2. With the Macan module the lever on my steering column still controlled my display as before, so no need to buy a new column switch and trim cover as my dealer suggested.
3. My SC and PDK controls worked just as they did before and I did not need an enable code or a bit change in the function field of the steering wheel module.
4. What is most interesting is that the two modules have identical part numbers, but my 2018 911 one has an extra connector on one side where the Macan one did not. Nothing was plugged into that connector in my car so I am not sure what it could be used for.
5. I also used my scan tool to see if I could view the enable codes on the Macan module and all it showed was zeros for both MF and heat.

So it seems the easiest way to add MF switches is buy a MF steering wheel with same configuration as your car (SC, PDK, Heat), swap modules, add the MF switches, and reinstall the wheel. Just like the video demonstrates. It is truly a plug and play upgrade with the right wheel. No enable code or dealer time at $300.00 / hour is needed.

The other approach I would like to explore is buy a new steering wheel module from the dealer for a 2019 Macan with the same features and see if I can load my enable code and set the function switch with my scan tool. The dealer confirmed that the new module needs to be programmed. That is a $200.00 gamble, but given I already have the switches and the enable code it may a good path for some of us.

Quick Reply: 991.2 Multifunction VIN activation code