New 991.1 2GTS inbound

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2023, 05:55 PM
Sushi Stu
Track Day

Received 25 Likes on 11 Posts
Default New 991.1 2GTS inbound

Hi Guys,

I've made the decision to trade in my Taycan GTS to go back to the old school in proper style.
  • NA 991.1 2GTS coupe
  • PDK
  • Jet Black
  • 8900 Miles
  • October 2015
  • PDCC / Power Steering Plus
  • Pan roof
  • GTS interior Rhodium Silver
  • Heated Leather Sport Design Wheel and PDK selector
  • Cruise
  • Auto-dimming / rain-sensing mirrors
  • Smoking Pack
  • Park assist front/rear
  • phone prep
  • Privacy glass
Picking it up in 2 weeks. As soon as it's in my hands I'll chuck some pics up.

A few questions:
  1. No Bose in my car. Is it worth replacing the standard speakers whilst keeping the stock PCM3? I like the OEM look
  2. Apple Car Play I've seen some threads showing how it can be fitted by cracking open the PCM and some tech worth about £500 / $600. But has there ben any better, simpler, cheaper tech come out recently? Amazon fire stick hacked my old TV for pennies for example.
  3. Reverse camera, what are the options for adding this in?
  4. Carbon illuminated sill plates, where can I find a set?
  5. Aluminium Tequipment PDK selector, where can I find one?]
  6. Any general advice from .1GTS owners?

Last edited by Sushi Stu; 12-09-2023 at 05:46 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Sushi Stu:
Live Steam (12-08-2023), Martin S. (12-19-2023)
Old 12-08-2023, 07:19 PM
phow
Pro

Received 234 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by Sushi Stu
Hi Guys,

I've made the decision to trade in my Taycan GTS to go back to the old school in proper style.
  • NA 991.1 2GTS coupe
  • PDK
  • Jet Black
  • 8900 Miles
  • October 2015
  • Pan roof
  • Cruise
  • Smoking Pack
  • Park assist front/rear
  • phone prep
  • Privacy glass

A few questions:
  1. No Bose in my car. Is it worth replacing the standard speakers whilst keeping the stock PCM3? I like the OEM look
  2. Apple Car Play I've seen some threads showing how it can be fitted by cracking open the PCM and some tech worth about £500 / $600. But has there ben any better, simpler, cheaper tech come out recently? Amazon fire stick hacked my old TV for pennies for example.
Congrats! You will be very happy with this car. It's the sweet spot modern NA 911.

1. I also have the base audio in my .1 GTS. I have Bose in the 992 Turbo S and Burmester in my AMG Merc. If you are like me, you will probably have the sport exhaust activated on the GTS 99% of the time. The car sounds so good even with the stock exhaust setup. But it's also fairly loud (but not too loud). I'm no audiophile but I think I would be hard pressed to tell the difference between Bose and base sound systems in this car with exhaust activated. I think it would be worth living with the base for a month and then deciding to upgrade or not. The Burmester is a massive jump forward over base/bose but I wouldn't spend the $$$ on it if the car doesn't have a quiet cabin.

1-3: If you plan to tackle all of these, I would consider a completely aftermarket setup. They make a few head units that look very OEM+. It's unlikely that you will get everything to play nicely together with the factory PCM. Typically I hear owners get carplay working but then can't get the reverse camera to function, etc. I would say that if you only wanted to do (1) of the things you listed, keeping the stock PCM will probably be fine but all of the above is sort of approaching square peg round hole territory and you will likely be fighting gremlins for the duration of ownership.

4. See PDF in post #2: https://rennlist.com/forums/991/1176...oor-sills.html You gotta really want them to go through all this IMHO

5. Suncoast sells them.

SPASM rides higher than 991.1 GT3 but it's still low. Scraping up the painted lip on the GTS bumper sucks but will probably happen. Black is a great color to have because its easily touched up.

If you do have CL's, it may be worth investing in the proper tools and learning how to remove/install them. Most owners will just call a flatbed if they get a flat but some owners don't have that luxury depending on where they live/drive.

Drive it above 4k as much as possible. This is where all the fun is at. The car is a blast to ring out to redline.

There are probably others but It's really a trouble free car that gives you a taste of GT but the refinement of owning a Carrera. My other cars have gotten a lot less driving time since I picked mine up. Enjoy it in good health!

Last edited by phow; 12-08-2023 at 07:21 PM.
Old 12-09-2023, 05:44 AM
Sushi Stu
Track Day

Great answers that’s for that!
Old 12-09-2023, 11:31 AM
Upscale Audio
Rennlist Member

Received 1,085 Likes on 590 Posts

To avoid scraping, it helps to have the suspension in stiff mode when leaving a driveway or going through a dip.
The following users liked this post:
Sushi Stu (12-09-2023)
Old 12-09-2023, 02:03 PM
Watson
Burning Brakes

Received 322 Likes on 234 Posts

1. with such a great sounding engine, you won't need a stereo that much (except on highway)
2. I used BT connected to my phone and a phone holder with suction mount onto the windshield. The screen responsiveness is awful I find. Waiting for Porsche to sell a PCCM+ for 991.1 in a couple of years from now (hopefully).
6. as mentioned above, the front bumper will scrape, that is the most annoying thing about this car. Make sure you are on top of your maintenance, respect well the warming-up duration for your engine. Other than that, the engine comes alive from 4000rpm till the redline so enjoy this engine as much as you can! These 991 age well.
Old 12-19-2023, 08:18 AM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 517 Likes on 341 Posts

Re. the Center Locks, consider a RenTorq device...it's expensive at $2,200, but makes changing a wheel(s) so much easier in contract to having to use a 48" (3/4") breaker bar to break the center lock nut(s) loose. And a 3/4" torque wrench to cinch down the wheel(2). You just need a 1/2" breaker bar and 1/2" torque wrench.

I have a post on the Rennlist 991 site, to the effect, "Changing Center Locks, Easy Peasy", or something similar to that. Take a glance at that.
Old 12-19-2023, 10:58 AM
Sushi Stu
Track Day

I think a $2200 wrench is out of my league!
Old 12-19-2023, 11:30 AM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 517 Likes on 341 Posts
Talking Nope!!!

I think a $2200 wrench is out of my league!
It's totally worth it....I split the cost with my DIY pal...he too has a 991.2 GTS with center lock wheels.

A conventional heavy duty breaker bar and torque wrench is about $500 and they are heavy, bulky and clumsy to use.
Old 12-20-2023, 11:28 AM
gforcealt
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

The CarPlay conversions are hit and miss. Some folks are happy with them. I was not. I used it for a bit, and found it's just not quite an OEM experience. I'm completely happy with a Renline Magsafe phone mount. It holds the phone it a perfect spot to be a second screen.
Sushi Stu (12-21-2023)
Old 12-20-2023, 11:53 AM
desmotesta
Rennlist Member

Received 1,985 Likes on 944 Posts

Welcome to the .1 GTS club, it is the pinnacle of N/A carrera
Sushi Stu (12-21-2023)
Old 12-21-2023, 06:16 AM
Sushi Stu
Track Day

Hi guys,

picked her up yesterday, and if this isn’t the pinnical of carrera I don’t want to try the next one up. It’s unreal.

there was a 991.1 GT3 in Dark Blue Metallic and it was stunning. I thought to myself, that’s my favourite car in the dealership, maybe I’ll trade up one day. Then we unveiled the GTS. It’s perfection. I will never get rid of it.

Impossible to catch its beauty of construction with an iPhone. The details are nothing like the cheaper made parts on my old Taycan and 992 I had on order. I honestly couldn’t be happier.

only problem is, it’s like new, not a mark, 8900 miles. I don’t want to hurt it! Haha. More pics soon.

The following 6 users liked this post by Sushi Stu:
core22 (12-21-2023), Dark Kauphee (12-21-2023), desmotesta (12-21-2023), MingusDew (12-22-2023), SConn (12-21-2023), shammerman (12-22-2023) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 12-21-2023, 10:17 AM
desmotesta
Rennlist Member

Received 1,985 Likes on 944 Posts

Hi Guys,

• NA 991.1 2GTS coupe
  • PDK
  • Jet Black
  • 8900 Miles
  • October 2015
  • Pan roof
  • Cruise
  • Smoking Pack
  • Park assist front/rear
  • phone prep
  • Privacy glass

A few questions:

- Jet black metallic is such an improvement over Basic Black, has different shades in different lighting, even at night
- I see No Bose as a good thing. I very very rarely use radio or music in my car, but when I do I find the Bose to be lacking. Better to search for Music-car thread on this forum and improve speakers
- I have PDCC in my current car and have had power steering plus in my first 991.1S, dont mind either but PDCC is the most impactful of the two, in my area (Skyline drive) PDCC absolutely shines every day.
- Never seen Rhodium Silver interior, the is unique.
- I have done applecart play on 2 of my cars, one car has Joyeauto and the other Isudar, both work very similar, Isudar (newer) was easier to instal due to fewer cables and no extra module
- Look up Autoamateur on YouTube, he has a very detailed video on how to instal Both the CarPlay and reverse camera
- No idea about illuminated door sills, would be a difficult job and not cheap
- Have had 2 PDK cars in the past, I strongly suggest you get your hands on COBB PDK tune, it transforms the shifts, experience and inverts the shifting pattern on PDK stalk (like GT3)
- First and foremost, Spend all your attention and money on bringing the car up to date on Maintenance, that means not believing anything the seller party claimed. I dont ever drive my new-used car without doing an oil change at the very least. No seller changes fluids or spends any money on a car they are about to sell, FYI

A GT3 has its place and is well worth the small jump in price, some of us have kids that we want to drive/vacation/evening-out with and until then the .1 GTS is the best 911 for us ( not including the .2 cars because of turbo)

Enjoy your new car, getting a 911 is usually a culmination of an epic auto journey for most of us, there are many many faster cars, there are many prettier cars But none have anywhere near the same emotional impact that a 911 has... mostly due to its historical engagement in the market, racing heritage and up until recently supercar like performance for slightly more money than normal luxury cars. It is probably the only car that best matches and compliments the driving ability of 99.5% of Enthusiasts-drivers.

Last edited by desmotesta; 12-21-2023 at 10:25 AM.
Sushi Stu (12-21-2023)
Old 12-21-2023, 01:19 PM
X-PH.COM - MIKE
Platinum Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 208 Likes on 185 Posts

Congrats!
Sushi Stu (12-21-2023)
Old 12-21-2023, 01:19 PM
Upscale Audio
Rennlist Member

Received 1,085 Likes on 590 Posts

Wow. What a stunner. I suspect somebody here suggested a DSC Controller? It was worth it to me.
Old 12-21-2023, 03:10 PM
Sushi Stu
Track Day

Thanks guys.

I think the GT3 steering map would be one that would interest me the most. coming out of a Taycan with the latest epas the 991.1 is lacking that feel that later systems had, especially at average speeds. Feels a little pointlessly heavy and numb compared to what I think it could be. The other tunes I’d like to have a go at in someone else’s car first, but the steering is the one it look into as a priority.

why anyone would fit a louder exhaust is beyond me. When you’re up it in sports plus it’s insane!

plus as a little bonus I found out the previous own had a Tequipment official reverse camera fitted at the dealer. It’s now discontinued and the part is £1800 alone!

it’s silly, but in the Uk the OPC are not allowed to give you any of the previous owners history docs. So I’ve had to do some super-sleuth work.

Quick Reply: New 991.1 2GTS inbound