Sponsored by:

Illuminated door sills

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2020, 05:45 PM
DHL
Rennlist Member

Received 178 Likes on 122 Posts
Default Illuminated door sills

Can illuminated door sills be installed on a car that did not have them from the factory? Ie, is the electrical connection already present or does a new wire harness need to be installed? Car is 2017 991.2 Carrera S.
Old 01-07-2020, 07:50 PM
isugoo
Rennlist Member

Received 281 Likes on 193 Posts

it's actually pretty decent size job, not just piping old sills to and plugging the harness and popping the new one in.
I have 991.2 GTS and I assume it's same has 991.1. I was thinking about getting a set but now I'm not sure...
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
IlluminatedSills991.pdf (1.29 MB, 544 views)
The following users liked this post:
DHL (01-07-2020)
Old 01-07-2020, 10:14 PM
PCA1983
Rennlist Member

Received 464 Likes on 315 Posts

Mine are nice, but i wouldn't go thru the bother and expense, if not factory equipped...

Old 01-07-2020, 10:40 PM
DHL
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by isugoo
it's actually pretty decent size job, not just piping old sills to and plugging the harness and popping the new one in.
I have 991.2 GTS and I assume it's same has 991.1. I was thinking about getting a set but now I'm not sure...
Thanks for posting those instructions. WAYYY more work than I want to do. Am considering replacing my stock door sills (have already done inner sill in DB Carbon CF) but it looks like I'll stay with non-illuminated. Still trying to decide which versions have the best scuff resistance (OEM CF, OEM stainless, or DB Carbon CF). The OEM are the most cost effective, with the Stainless versions the lowest cost. DB Carbon is the most expensive at about $1200.
Old 01-07-2020, 11:34 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,461 Likes on 2,362 Posts

If you are concerned with scuffs you can always wrap whatever you decide with clear PPF, or you can use Black vinyl, which I what I did so if it gets scuffed I can simply peel it off and replace it.
Old 01-08-2020, 08:44 PM
DHL
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bob Z.
If you are concerned with scuffs you can always wrap whatever you decide with clear PPF, or you can use Black vinyl, which I what I did so if it gets scuffed I can simply peel it off and replace it.
Bob:

Scuffs are on that matt finished OEM plastic. I don't think a wrap would look very good on that surface. I had white (probably hard water) stains on that plastic on panels in the trunk and engine compartment (from the previous owner), and I tried everything but could not remove them. Ended up just replacing them.
Old 01-08-2020, 08:48 PM
Tpup
Rennlist Member

Received 318 Likes on 150 Posts

I had PPF put on my carbon/illuminated door sills. Cannot tell it's there...

Roy
Old 01-08-2020, 08:52 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,461 Likes on 2,362 Posts

Originally Posted by DHL
Bob:

Scuffs are on that matt finished OEM plastic. I don't think a wrap would look very good on that surface. I had white (probably hard water) stains on that plastic on panels in the trunk and engine compartment (from the previous owner), and I tried everything but could not remove them. Ended up just replacing them.
You can get vinyl in just about any color these days and every sheen, such as matte, so you may want to consider looking for some to put on your new sills.
Old 01-09-2020, 02:37 AM
Paliknight
Racer

Received 53 Likes on 37 Posts

I bought the CF Illuminated doorsills from Suncoast for my 2019 TTS. DO NOT RECOMMEND! They still dont illuminate because i tried to wire them into the door lighting fuse, but they do not turn off even when the door is closed. I had to unplug them from the fuse. The official method involved removing the front driver seat and splicing the harness under it. You will end up paying at least 5-600 in labor at Porsche. I used the fuse box diagram from the manual but still no success.

If anyone figures out an easy method to wire the sills into the fuse box or splice them into a footwell light or something, please let me know.
Old 01-09-2020, 09:53 AM
NightBlueTTS
Rennlist Member

Received 230 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by Paliknight
I bought the CF Illuminated doorsills from Suncoast for my 2019 TTS. DO NOT RECOMMEND! They still dont illuminate because i tried to wire them into the door lighting fuse, but they do not turn off even when the door is closed. I had to unplug them from the fuse. The official method involved removing the front driver seat and splicing the harness under it. You will end up paying at least 5-600 in labor at Porsche. I used the fuse box diagram from the manual but still no success.

If anyone figures out an easy method to wire the sills into the fuse box or splice them into a footwell light or something, please let me know.
fwiw- removing the seat takes less than 5 minutes (once you’ve done it a few times). you move the seat back, remove the plastic covers from the front seat bolts, remove the 2 bolts, the move the seat forward, and remove the remaining 2 bolts (1 per side). Lastly disconnect the harnesses (which have some tabs keeping them in place), and you’re done. Reading through the instructions attached above, it looks like it may be a somewhat tedious job to get it all wired correctly but not overly complex. If you do remove the seat, you’ll want to have a tool that can clear the airbag codes handy. You can do it without triggering the abs light, but I prefer to just clear the error.

im not advocating for/against the sills, but if you are going to install them, it isn’t as bad as it might seem to follow the Porsche instructions. GL
Old 01-09-2020, 10:24 AM
isugoo
Rennlist Member

Received 281 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by DHL
Thanks for posting those instructions. WAYYY more work than I want to do. Am considering replacing my stock door sills (have already done inner sill in DB Carbon CF) but it looks like I'll stay with non-illuminated. Still trying to decide which versions have the best scuff resistance (OEM CF, OEM stainless, or DB Carbon CF). The OEM are the most cost effective, with the Stainless versions the lowest cost. DB Carbon is the most expensive at about $1200.
Yeah, for exact same reason, I'm most likely go with stainless steel and settle with this one.
https://www.suncoastparts.com/product/SKULEDPRO.html

Old 01-09-2020, 10:12 PM
JKE_MN
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Tpup
I had PPF put on my carbon/illuminated door sills. Cannot tell it's there...

Roy
Me too. 😁
Old 01-09-2020, 11:29 PM
Raidenkov813
6th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Just installed one on my 991.2 turbo. The most tricky part is the light control, which is under the driver's seat. The tune shop needs to have a Porsche computer so they can insert the wire of the illuminated door still into the right socket.

The following 2 users liked this post by Raidenkov813:
cicsprog (10-31-2021), SDM5 (09-27-2022)

Quick Reply: Illuminated door sills