Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2012 911 991.1 - SPARK PLUG REPLACEMENT INTERVAL QUESTION?

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2023, 03:31 PM
2000se
Instructor

Received 44 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by IXLR8
All six of them looked like this...

I cleaned up the threads before inserting them, and applied a flash coat of anti-seize of course.

Interesting on the plug read. I just did mine at a 30k mile interval. I will post a pic of mine as I could tell certain cylinders were using the spark plugs differently.

Example : Passenger side furthest back

Passenger side middle:

Notice how clean the threads were on some compared to others.
You can really tell in the first pic.
BTW - no anti-seize was used ever on these. Plugs have been changed twice since new. And does take a bit of effort fanagelgin around the headers to get to all the banks.
I love all the YouTube videos and such showing how 'easy' it is to change these. They show the easiest one to do and then go on to say "Do them all like this one". HAHA. They should show the hardest one instead...so funny.
More pics here -- >https://rennlist.com/g/album/31893596

Last edited by 2000se; 12-02-2023 at 03:36 PM.
Old 12-02-2023, 03:53 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 700 Likes on 485 Posts

Originally Posted by 2000se
Interesting on the plug read. I just did mine at a 30k mile interval. I will post a pic of mine as I could tell certain cylinders were using the spark plugs differently.

Notice how clean the threads were on some compared to others.
Yeah I wonder about that. Why is there oil on the full length of the spark plug thread on some of them? And also a slight difference in shade on the insulator.

Also noted the last pic where you are holding the spark plug. How do you get rust at the hex end of the threads when the ignition sticks have multiple seals on them.
I think I'll coat those sealing rings with Dow Corning Vacuum Grease (silicone grease) next time.

No anti-seize on my plugs either since they were installed by the Porsche factory in May 2015, but after 7Y 4M I removed them for the first time. Ultra-Low mileage so I did not worry. But I did apply anti-seize as I re-installed them as I have always done.
Old 12-02-2023, 06:50 PM
2000se
Instructor

Received 44 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by IXLR8
Yeah I wonder about that. Why is there oil on the full length of the spark plug thread on some of them? And also a slight difference in shade on the insulator.

Also noted the last pic where you are holding the spark plug. How do you get rust at the hex end of the threads when the ignition sticks have multiple seals on them.
I think I'll coat those sealing rings with Dow Corning Vacuum Grease (silicone grease) next time.

No anti-seize on my plugs either since they were installed by the Porsche factory in May 2015, but after 7Y 4M I removed them for the first time. Ultra-Low mileage so I did not worry. But I did apply anti-seize as I re-installed them as I have always done.
I have no idea how or why the oil is there. Putting some silicon may be a good idea to assist in sealing that area off from moisture.
Looking at the first pic you can see how some plugs look the same. Like there are 2 different ones. One set is more clean looking than the other set. I'm glad though that both sides look similar.
I must admit (hiding under the desk as I type this) it has been almost 6 years since my last plug change. They only went 30k miles though. Maybe that would be the cause off that rust?
The following users liked this post:
IXLR8 (12-02-2023)
Old 01-06-2024, 07:59 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 700 Likes on 485 Posts

A bit of a follow-up that I came across while running into this YouTube video by accident...

Attached is an NGK Technical Bulletin as well as a YouTube video from someone that brings up some good points on galvanic corrosion.

Personally, I have always used a very thin coat of anti-seize and reduce the torque. I use an accurate 1/4" square drive Snap-On torque wrench for the range I am working in (~15 lbf.ft.) Trying to use a torque wrench in the lower end of a 80 or 100 lbf.ft. is pointless.
The following users liked this post:
ZnZBar 986S (01-08-2024)
Old 01-07-2024, 11:00 AM
Bud Taylor
Drifting

Received 445 Likes on 318 Posts
Default Depends on usage/heat cycles

My plan with limited mechanical knowledge is every 6 years for plugs and coils from FCP Euro (15 to 20k miles for me). This is on a car that sees spirited street driving but not track work. Track work is like dog years so I think all maitenance schedules are out the window and you mostly chase broken stuff.

Quick Reply: 2012 911 991.1 - SPARK PLUG REPLACEMENT INTERVAL QUESTION?