Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can’t open doors in frost

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2023 | 05:18 PM
le_gazman
Advanced

Default Can’t open doors in frost

I head the windows trying to go down but rarely do they manage it. I’ve tried gummipflege and I often use a plastic pry tool under the window seal along the door, and along the roof seal but again, nothing works 100% of the time.

Am I the only one who parks their car outside in winter who has this problem?

I’m also seeing the windscreen frozen on the inside of the car, meaning I have to wait an age for that to melt and then catch it with a cloth before I can drive away.

Old 11-25-2023 | 06:08 PM
thesaintusa
Rennlist Member

Is your recirc on or off and do you use the AC in the winter?

Old 11-25-2023 | 06:27 PM
c1pher
Rennlist Member

The following 3 users liked this post by c1pher:
docskeet (11-26-2023), Emefef (12-19-2023), SConn (11-26-2023)
Old 11-25-2023 | 06:29 PM
le_gazman
Advanced

Originally Posted by thesaintusa
Is your recirc on or off and do you use the AC in the winter?
I only use recirc when I’m behind a diesel car, but not usually when delisting in the morning. Yeah I use the AC all year round.
Old 12-16-2023 | 05:25 PM
malahhaor
Rennlist Member

I had same issues long time ago on Benz CLK500 and my wife had same issues on CLS500. First Porsche was a 997 and living in Chicago and parking outside my 5:30am in -10f always started with a can of deicer and an ice scraper to get into the car.
On the Benz i was able to get a remote start and that helped allot on Carrera i was not so lucky. When i upgraded to 991 i decided not to deal with it anymore and car is in storage from first snowfall to early march.
Constantly dealing with windows freezing up will take a toll on seals and windows regulators, and you. I did some man math and it was cheaper to get an old cayenne for winter driving than to drive Carrera in winter conditions and having it be destroyed by salt corrosion and chunks of asphalt flying at you after plows rip up the road.

Ice on the inside means you have moisture inside the car. Either allot of snow getting in with your shoes and slowly evaporates or you have a water leak, check your carpets.

The following users liked this post:
le_gazman (12-16-2023)
Old 12-16-2023 | 10:52 PM
bkrantz
Rennlist Member

For real fun, try going to a car wash and then driving home in 0° weather. I did this once in Alaska, and could not get out of the car. Fortunately, I was able to open the garage using the remote, park inside, close the garage door and wait.
The following users liked this post:
FlyingFrisian (12-17-2023)
Old 12-17-2023 | 12:00 PM
SConn
Drifting

Originally Posted by bkrantz
For real fun, try going to a car wash and then driving home in 0° weather. I did this once in Alaska, and could not get out of the car. Fortunately, I was able to open the garage using the remote, park inside, close the garage door and wait.
Oh my goodness!
Old 12-18-2023 | 11:16 AM
waiting for PDK
Racer

My car is parked outdoors year round in Chicago and the only time I can't get in is after a freezing rain when the windows need to be scraped clean so they'll drop down. Water does seem to freeze a lot in the door hinges or seals, even with gummi pflege, so sometimes you have to pull pretty hard on the handle to pop the door open [good luck with that in a 992]. I've never had interior condensation like you're describing.
Old 12-18-2023 | 12:30 PM
thesaintusa
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by waiting for PDK
My car is parked outdoors year round in Chicago and the only time I can't get in is after a freezing rain when the windows need to be scraped clean so they'll drop down. Water does seem to freeze a lot in the door hinges or seals, even with gummi pflege, so sometimes you have to pull pretty hard on the handle to pop the door open [good luck with that in a 992]. I've never had interior condensation like you're describing.
Agree, the only time I have had interior condensation is when I had water leak through a window seal on a Jeep after going through the wash.

Barring water leaking into a vehicle, not using the recirculation button, have never had condensation inside the vehicle. Have been driving 30+ years in Canada / temps where they plunge to -40F and a solid 4-5 months of winter. Even with the snow/slush on the boots that gets dragged into the car there is no appreciable condensation on the windows/windshield.

To @le_gazman I would be worried about water collecting inside the car causing this issue, AC condensate draining into the interior etc. I have parked my 911 outside in winter and this never has happened to me yet...

Quick Reply: Can’t open doors in frost