Sponsored by:

Dealer Service issue on Annual Service

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2023, 03:15 PM
R N M
Racer

Received 255 Likes on 112 Posts
Default Dealer Service issue on Annual Service

Looking for feedback on issue i had with my latest annual service.

I had the service done which included oil change and filter replacement including engine filter which requires rear bumper removal. When i picked up the car it was already getting dark but I inspected it as much as i can then parked it in my garage.

Yesterday i took out the car and had better look and noticed few issues:
- spoiler had bunch of swirls
- the 3.0 badge where fans are is scratched
​​​​​​- the 4 screws on top of bumper are missing
​​​​​​- interior had 2 stains on the leather

This service was almost $1,700 which is mostly labor. I’m a bit perplexed how this can happen. I have mostly had BMWs and never had issues like this with M3 or other cars.

I notified the dealer of the issues and waiting to hear back. I’m very surprised this occurred as they have tons of 911s and GT cars on regular basis. Definitely wish I can do the maintenance myself or find a reliable mechanic.

At the end of day - I’m more concerned that all the pieces inside the bumper were not put back properly or have missing clips/screws.

What would be a proper request for dealer to resolve this situation?
Old 11-18-2023, 03:18 PM
thesaintusa
Rennlist Member

Received 369 Likes on 290 Posts

I would just have them address the swirls, scratches, missing screws and stains.

And would ask for a discount on next servicing (or this servicing).

Not much else to do or expect. If not happy, take your business elsewhere.
The following users liked this post:
desmotesta (11-19-2023)
Old 11-18-2023, 03:33 PM
HardRider
Racer

Received 178 Likes on 122 Posts

fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me. Never take your car there again for service. Have them replace damaged or scracthed parts.
The following 2 users liked this post by HardRider:
GSBruce (11-19-2023), Larson E. Rapp (11-19-2023)
Old 11-18-2023, 03:55 PM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,194 Likes on 717 Posts

Paying $1700 to be slapped around is unacceptable. You won't know if they screwed up something until something happens. Have them fix the swirls, put back the screws, clean the leather, replace the badge - then never go back to them again and give them the worse review ever over all social media platforms.
The following 3 users liked this post by Porsche_nuts:
bighoward503 (11-18-2023), Chuck245 (11-19-2023), GSBruce (11-19-2023)
Old 11-18-2023, 09:40 PM
CSK 911 C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 848 Likes on 426 Posts

I understand your frustrations.
I would defiantly have a conversation with them immediately but keep a cool head.

Have you used this service department before?
Old 11-18-2023, 11:51 PM
Jim M.
Rennlist Member

Received 847 Likes on 439 Posts

Had a similar incident with a so called "Premier dealership". A heat shield with missing screws and a few other issues. I sent an email to the GM explaining my disappointment. I received an almost immediate response offering immediate correction of all my issues. My next visit everything was corrected, however I moved my business to another dealer.
Old 11-19-2023, 09:42 AM
Bud Taylor
Drifting

Received 430 Likes on 307 Posts
Default $20

They will deny it. Other than warranty work dealerships are more worthless than **** on a bull. Find an indy. Mine left a fitting off the back spoiler and I didnt even bother i just ordered another one. Stained leàther and I would be pissed enough to file a claim with my/their insurer if they wont.
Old 11-19-2023, 10:07 AM
desmotesta
Rennlist Member

Received 1,991 Likes on 947 Posts

Ever since an Audi dealer destroyed the paint on my like new C5 A6 2 decades ago, (washed and dried car with dirty towel and swirls everywhere) I make it a point to put 3-4 stickies all over the interior strictly instructing them to "Do not Clean, Do not Wash"

Over last 20 yrs, both Audi, BMW and Porsche dealers have gone ahead and STILL washed (and yes, scratched/swirled) many cars in spite of instructions to SA and Stickies. The level of idiocy prevalent in the service department at almost all dealers I have dealt with makes me feel I AM the problem, how can they all be so.........

Haven't been to a dealer for service since 2016 and may cars are up to date on all service, no swirls, no scratches, no worries about Service tech joyriding, bolts are torqued accurately and accounted for, no smoker's smell...and the underbelly of my cars look as clean as new when I am done. ( I do understand this is not an option for all)
The following users liked this post:
Chuck245 (11-19-2023)
Old 11-19-2023, 10:41 AM
NF4710
Pro

Received 195 Likes on 120 Posts

Typical dealer experience. Their attitude is “if you can afford the car you can afford to get screwed.” Was basically told as much when I inquired why I was charged 20% over list price for parts.

As for the quality of their work: there is none. Found my alarm horn (replaced under warranty at a cost of $1200+) unbolted and flopping around in the frunk.

Even have a DashCam vid of a tech “road testing” my car - driving in an insanely aggressive fashion on a cold motor and trying to race a Ferrari.

Thank god for good Indy shops.

NF
Old 11-19-2023, 11:11 AM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,194 Likes on 717 Posts

Originally Posted by NF4710
Typical dealer experience. Their attitude is “if you can afford the car you can afford to get screwed.” Was basically told as much when I inquired why I was charged 20% over list price for parts.

As for the quality of their work: there is none. Found my alarm horn (replaced under warranty at a cost of $1200+) unbolted and flopping around in the frunk.

Even have a DashCam vid of a tech “road testing” my car - driving in an insanely aggressive fashion on a cold motor and trying to race a Ferrari.

Thank god for good Indy shops.

NF

wonder if you approached the dealer with your video, not that they would have done anything - but just curious
Old 11-19-2023, 11:25 AM
NF4710
Pro

Received 195 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by Porsche_nuts
wonder if you approached the dealer with your video, not that they would have done anything - but just curious
I did. They just said “don’t worry that tech doesn’t work here anymore.”

NF
Old 11-19-2023, 12:42 PM
cairo94507
Rennlist Member

Received 98 Likes on 74 Posts

I agree with Jim M; I would call the GM of the dealership and explain the issues. I would then follow that up with a letter to the GM documenting the problem.

I had leaking chain covers on our Macan GTS repaired under warranty that required an engine drop. When we got it back about 3 weeks later I put it up on my lift and found multiple fasteners missing and most importantly the front sub-frame holding the engine was not torqued properly and we had a terrible creak in the car when turning, etc. Porsche said that is how they all sound but they did replace the missing fasteners - 6 total. I went under the Macan and re-torqued all of the fasteners and found all of the front fasteners to be mildly tight but no where near tight enough; I got a full turn more on all of them. A quick test drive confirmed that to have been the creaking source. I called the dealership and spoke with the Service Manager and he said, "Oh." I generally hate taking anything to the dealership these days. Just a bunch of kids doing their shift with apparently no pride in their work.
Old 11-19-2023, 12:45 PM
R N M
Racer

Originally Posted by thesaintusa
I would just have them address the swirls, scratches, missing screws and stains.

And would ask for a discount on next servicing (or this servicing).

Not much else to do or expect. If not happy, take your business elsewhere.
Originally Posted by Porsche_nuts
Paying $1700 to be slapped around is unacceptable. You won't know if they screwed up something until something happens. Have them fix the swirls, put back the screws, clean the leather, replace the badge - then never go back to them again and give them the worse review ever over all social media platforms.
Originally Posted by CSK 911 C4S
I understand your frustrations.
I would defiantly have a conversation with them immediately but keep a cool head.

Have you used this service department before?
Originally Posted by Jim M.
Had a similar incident with a so called "Premier dealership". A heat shield with missing screws and a few other issues. I sent an email to the GM explaining my disappointment. I received an almost immediate response offering immediate correction of all my issues. My next visit everything was corrected, however I moved my business to another dealer.
I have wasted another hour on Friday and yesterday trying to get a hold of a Service advisor being on hold for 20min each time as they don’t call back.

They documented my issues and i sent them pictures. They promised to get back to me Monday with what they can do.

I have used them before and requested someone experienced this time around as I knew it was more involved. Just very frustrating as you pay a premium for service but end up with missing parts and damage.
Old 11-19-2023, 12:54 PM
R N M
Racer

Originally Posted by cairo94507
I agree with Jim M; I would call the GM of the dealership and explain the issues. I would then follow that up with a letter to the GM documenting the problem.

I had leaking chain covers on our Macan GTS repaired under warranty that required an engine drop. When we got it back about 3 weeks later I put it up on my lift and found multiple fasteners missing and most importantly the front sub-frame holding the engine was not torqued properly and we had a terrible creak in the car when turning, etc. Porsche said that is how they all sound but they did replace the missing fasteners - 6 total. I went under the Macan and re-torqued all of the fasteners and found all of the front fasteners to be mildly tight but no where near tight enough; I got a full turn more on all of them. A quick test drive confirmed that to have been the creaking source. I called the dealership and spoke with the Service Manager and he said, "Oh." I generally hate taking anything to the dealership these days. Just a bunch of kids doing their shift with apparently no pride in their work.
I tried and they said he was unavailable. Will send an email to GM and service manager as my next step if things are not resolved.

These dealers should have 1 employee that does Quality Control before vehicle is released to a client.
Old 11-19-2023, 01:51 PM
JimEb
Racer

Received 122 Likes on 83 Posts

I normally do my own wrenching, but had a project I didn’t feel like doing (that dang plastic coolant pipe). Got some quotes and a well-regarded indy had the best price so I towed my car there. After two days they called and said they under estimated the job. They then doubled their initial estimate. I conceded and told them to go ahead. They kind of had me cornered at that point. Wasn’t gonna tow my car back home.

They finished and then blindsided me with the final invoice….doubled their 2nd estimate too. I call them to say, “ummm, WTF? How are your estimates not even remotely accurate?” Some awkward silences occurred, they sent me a revised invoice and knock a few $$hundred off.

Whatever, things cost what they cost. I pay and go pick the car up. Drive home I get the Coolant Fault, Visit Repair Shop warning pop up. Almost home, I got heat and the car’s not overheating so I assume vacuum/COV. Get home, pull off tailights…which I had to dang near had to use a breaker bar on as the screws were over tightened. Immediately saw a detached vacuum hose. Reinserted it and put the tail lights back on. Hopefully that was it and the warning message will eventually go away.

I’m not going to go back and rag on this indy. I’ll chalk it up in the experience bank. Only other time I had work done on a vehicle was my Honda van under warranty. They replaced a door handle. Later I had to disassemble the door panel when I discovered my window wouldn’t roll down. Yup, they forgot to plug in the connector on the switch.

Quick Reply: Dealer Service issue on Annual Service