GTS/K04 Turbos available

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2023, 12:24 PM
DrJordan1911
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default GTS/K04 Turbos available

Hello all,

I've moved on from the 991.2 platform forcibly by a redlight runner. I have moved to the 992 now - as such I do have 2 GTS turbos available if anyone wants to purchase them. Used for roughly 4-5 months and 3000 miles. Car was making roughly 600 HP at the crank. I have the ad listed in the Classified sections. If interested DM me.
Old 10-25-2023, 01:08 PM
asellus
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,099 Likes on 1,306 Posts

the marketplace post in question: https://rennlist.com/forums/market/1368107
Old 10-25-2023, 02:01 PM
cbredesen
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 153 Posts

No need for your turbos but I'd love to hear about your 992 experience compared with 991.2. What did you get and can we get a quick review??
Old 10-25-2023, 04:26 PM
doctj
Instructor

Received 50 Likes on 30 Posts

Which tune did you have on your 991.2
Old 10-25-2023, 05:00 PM
DrJordan1911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by cbredesen
No need for your turbos but I'd love to hear about your 992 experience compared with 991.2. What did you get and can we get a quick review??
Absolutely - I'm always down for a good thread hijack - especially when I do it myself My first 911 was a 997.1 S 6 speed manual that I ended up rebuilding the motor with a 4.0 bore...next was the 991.2 base PDK with plenum, diverter valves, AMS intercoolers, BMC filter, gts turbos and APR tune. The 997 was by far the most engaging, raw, and visceral. Loved that car...but the interior was obsoleted by the 991 of course. The 991.2 I felt like was peak 911 for a specs standpoint and daily drivability. I initially went APR tune only and it was fantastic...but then a modded Trackhawk stretched its legs out. The GTS turbo build changed that. With 600HP on tap it was really a performer - effortless power band. I loved it. My current car is a 2020 992 Carrera S PDK non sport chrono car non PSE car. Prior to getting the 992; I have been vocal amongst my Porsche peers here that I preferred the design of the 991 to the 992. After owning it for about a month now...design wise...I still think the 991 looks better; however, I have grown to really like the way the 992 looks. I have added the sport front lip and GT3 side skirts painted to match the car. I use to hate the rear spoiler situation; but I love it now. It's definitely a bigger car...you can tell that in low speed maneuvering. I thankfully don't have the rear axle steer which mitigates the size...but that necessitates the Lithium battery which is proving to be an expensive problem with the 992. I will say that while I prefer the design of the 991, the 992 definitely looks like the newer car. Interior space is an improvement...still need rennline to hold my phone though lol. The tech is definitely a big improvement with the surround cameras and speed of the PCM. It links to my android phone bluetooth almost instantly. Cons of the interior...are many. Porsche did cheap out on the fit and finish. The door no longer has that infinite hold, the door now has stop positions like lessor cars. The plastics used are of high quality...but in the 991 these things would have been of a higher grade material...not necessarily plastic. The key fobs also don't have the same range...I damn near have to be right up on the car to actuate it. The shaver gear selector is an acquired taste...I loathed it before getting the car...now I don't think about it at all. A regular gear selector would have been better in terms of usage though. I also miss the signature scissor folding cup holders. Now for Performance.

I read all the reviews and saw all the videos about the 992 and "how much better it is". I didn't believe them at all. On paper it all seemed very slight incremental changes were made and I was hard pressed to believe that it was worth the upgrade. I've driven the 992 turbo S and the 992 GTS on the Porsche Experience tracks in L.A. and Atlanta...in those circumstances it was hard to see the differences honestly. In everyday use...I am completely amazed at how responsive this car is and how much quicker it seems to be from even my modded 600HP 991.2. In fact the only difference I can honestly say that my 991.2 would have walked away from this stock 992 is top end acceleration. That's where the added power from my modded car is shown through. The 992 S has the reflexes of a 488...that's how much more athletic the car feels. Should you trade in your 991 for a 992...nah...not unless its time to replace your 991. When that time does come though...this 992 platform is exceptional. I thought that the 991.2 was all I could want dynamically...for this 992 to be that much better amazes me. I have no regrets. Had it not been for the accident; I wouldn't have done it - but I don't regret the decision under the circumstances.
The following 2 users liked this post by DrJordan1911:
cbredesen (10-25-2023), LargePuppy (10-25-2023)
Old 10-25-2023, 05:23 PM
LargePuppy
Rennlist Member

Received 344 Likes on 188 Posts

Thank you for this, any reason you didn't consider the Tial 660s instead of the GTS turbos? I'm toying with the idea myself....
Originally Posted by DrJordan1911
Absolutely - I'm always down for a good thread hijack - especially when I do it myself My first 911 was a 997.1 S 6 speed manual that I ended up rebuilding the motor with a 4.0 bore...next was the 991.2 base PDK with plenum, diverter valves, AMS intercoolers, BMC filter, gts turbos and APR tune. The 997 was by far the most engaging, raw, and visceral. Loved that car...but the interior was obsoleted by the 991 of course. The 991.2 I felt like was peak 911 for a specs standpoint and daily drivability. I initially went APR tune only and it was fantastic...but then a modded Trackhawk stretched its legs out. The GTS turbo build changed that. With 600HP on tap it was really a performer - effortless power band. I loved it. My current car is a 2020 992 Carrera S PDK non sport chrono car non PSE car. Prior to getting the 992; I have been vocal amongst my Porsche peers here that I preferred the design of the 991 to the 992. After owning it for about a month now...design wise...I still think the 991 looks better; however, I have grown to really like the way the 992 looks. I have added the sport front lip and GT3 side skirts painted to match the car. I use to hate the rear spoiler situation; but I love it now. It's definitely a bigger car...you can tell that in low speed maneuvering. I thankfully don't have the rear axle steer which mitigates the size...but that necessitates the Lithium battery which is proving to be an expensive problem with the 992. I will say that while I prefer the design of the 991, the 992 definitely looks like the newer car. Interior space is an improvement...still need rennline to hold my phone though lol. The tech is definitely a big improvement with the surround cameras and speed of the PCM. It links to my android phone bluetooth almost instantly. Cons of the interior...are many. Porsche did cheap out on the fit and finish. The door no longer has that infinite hold, the door now has stop positions like lessor cars. The plastics used are of high quality...but in the 991 these things would have been of a higher grade material...not necessarily plastic. The key fobs also don't have the same range...I damn near have to be right up on the car to actuate it. The shaver gear selector is an acquired taste...I loathed it before getting the car...now I don't think about it at all. A regular gear selector would have been better in terms of usage though. I also miss the signature scissor folding cup holders. Now for Performance.

I read all the reviews and saw all the videos about the 992 and "how much better it is". I didn't believe them at all. On paper it all seemed very slight incremental changes were made and I was hard pressed to believe that it was worth the upgrade. I've driven the 992 turbo S and the 992 GTS on the Porsche Experience tracks in L.A. and Atlanta...in those circumstances it was hard to see the differences honestly. In everyday use...I am completely amazed at how responsive this car is and how much quicker it seems to be from even my modded 600HP 991.2. In fact the only difference I can honestly say that my 991.2 would have walked away from this stock 992 is top end acceleration. That's where the added power from my modded car is shown through. The 992 S has the reflexes of a 488...that's how much more athletic the car feels. Should you trade in your 991 for a 992...nah...not unless its time to replace your 991. When that time does come though...this 992 platform is exceptional. I thought that the 991.2 was all I could want dynamically...for this 992 to be that much better amazes me. I have no regrets. Had it not been for the accident; I wouldn't have done it - but I don't regret the decision under the circumstances.
Old 10-25-2023, 07:06 PM
DrJordan1911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by LargePuppy
Thank you for this, any reason you didn't consider the Tial 660s instead of the GTS turbos? I'm toying with the idea myself....
Well, it was a bit overkill going beyond the gts turbos, I liked the idea of no significant downtime and oem turbos. With it being a base car without a differential...600Hp was at the edge of manageability. Beyond that...I'd image you'd have to treat it like it was a hellcat. An awd car, T, S would have all been a better starting point. The mods I had allowed me to keep pace easily with a 650 LT Spider and outpace a 488.

Last edited by DrJordan1911; 10-25-2023 at 07:07 PM. Reason: Clerical
The following 2 users liked this post by DrJordan1911:
LargePuppy (10-25-2023), thesaintusa (10-25-2023)
Old 10-25-2023, 08:48 PM
DrJordan1911
Rennlist Member

For reference...here are the cars in question...

The following users liked this post:
MingusDew (10-26-2023)
Old 10-27-2023, 03:21 PM
snake eyes
Three Wheelin'

Received 363 Likes on 224 Posts

i LIVE IN ATLANTA... PM ME COST OF THE TURBOS... MIGHT BE INTERESTED... AND HAVE EUROFED DO THE INSTALL.
Old 10-27-2023, 04:24 PM
4 Point 0
Rennlist Member

Received 1,262 Likes on 667 Posts

Originally Posted by LargePuppy
TiAL M660’s whilst they have larger impellers than the GTS turbo’s, they are based on the smaller frames K03.

GTS are based on the larger K04 frames.
TiAL M800 are also based off the K04 frames.

Larger frames mean less heat, more power at lower boost.

M800 are still very small turbo’s. They have been proven the ones to get. Not scary at all. By moving the power curve to the right, they come on smooth and no power drop off at the end. (They could have gone bigger

Last edited by 4 Point 0; 10-27-2023 at 04:27 PM.
The following users liked this post:
LargePuppy (10-27-2023)

Quick Reply: GTS/K04 Turbos available