Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Crazy for considering selling my GTS for Taycan??

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2023 | 12:09 PM
RP4S911
Pro

The Taycan will essentially be a quiet commuter with a Porsche badge on the steering wheel. The GTS is, well, we all know.
Idk about you but if I'm going on a long drive (that's not just a routine drive) why make a Taycan you're only "fun" other option?
Question is, regardless of what brand the next car would be... Do you want to delete a sports car from your life and replace it with a quiet commuter? You need both in your life, but you already have a daily so why spend years of your life later trying to bring the right one back in your life just to be back at square one. I see you made the right decision already so this may be a bit irrelevant now, but if you want a Taycan I say just add it to the collection. Cheers man.
Old 05-11-2023 | 12:20 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RP4S911
Do you want to delete a sports car from your life and replace it with a quiet commuter?
EVs are completely soul-less, even when I was channel-flicking and came across E-Formula. Once you have been to Formula 1 races, E-Formula is boring! My opinion of course.

And a Taycan is a slug in an autocross compared to a 992 Turbo as I got to drive both.
Old 05-11-2023 | 12:27 PM
detansinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by IXLR8
Spot on on all of your points. I feel the same way. In fact, I did a cost analysis and owning an EV for the aspect of it being cheaper to operate for those where that is of paramount importance, is pure BS.
An EV is spectacularly inexpensive to operate. The first 1000 miles of our Mini cost $42 in electricity. It's so cheap, that you barely see the impact of charging at home on your electric bill.

My daily is now an F150 Lightning and it's basically the greatest thing ever. You get all of the benefits of the truck form factor with none of the running costs. I put over 4000 miles on my extended range Lariat in the first month and I am totally smitten.

The following users liked this post:
Edward911 (05-12-2023)
Old 05-11-2023 | 12:37 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by detansinn
An EV is spectacularly inexpensive to operate.
Yeah...right. I've done my number off manufacturers sites. This is simple math, no Laplace or Fourier needed. Thanks anyway.
Old 05-11-2023 | 12:41 PM
RP4S911
Pro

My daily is now an F150 Lightning and it's basically the greatest thing ever. You get all of the benefits of the truck form factor with none of the running costs. I put over 4000 miles on my extended range Lariat in the first month and I am totally smitten.
I've heard some horror stories about that truck and it's mileage when trying to haul or tow anything.
The battery tech is too young for my adoption yet. I did hear there is "revolutionary" battery tech coming soon.
Old 05-11-2023 | 12:48 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RP4S911
I've heard some horror stories about that truck and it's mileage when trying to haul or tow anything.
Imagine what you can do with $28,494 in gas between the MSRP of a Lightning ER and a ICE Lariat. You could drive that ICE Lariat for free for a long time on $28,494 in gas.

In the condo I was staying at, they would not permit any EVs to be parked in the garage. Insurance reasons due to fire hazards.
Old 05-11-2023 | 01:48 PM
detansinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Imagine what you can do with $28,494 in gas between the MSRP of a Lightning ER and a ICE Lariat. You could drive that ICE Lariat for free for a long time on $28,494 in gas.

In the condo I was staying at, they would not permit any EVs to be parked in the garage. Insurance reasons due to fire hazards.
When you spec an F150 to what’s included in the Lightning trims, the delta is actually between $7500-10000 depending on the trims. For buyers and trims that qualify for the tax credit, the tax credit covers the spread.

This is the scheduled maintenance for a Lightning. It’s nothing compared to a gas F150.

As for towing, load isn’t the issue. You’ve got diesel levels of torque. If you’re pulling a trailer, if it’s not particularly aerodynamic, you’ll get a range penalty, but it’s not dissimilar to the MPG drop. The biggest problem with pulling a trailer with an EV is that the DC charging stations are typically not configured as a pull through. This makes long haul trailering a hassle. The vast majority of buyers don’t pull a trailer for hundreds of miles.

As for condos and HOA neighborhoods, that’s a personal financial error. Living in America means that nobody tells me how I can use my garage and/or driveway.

I have a 7MT 991.2 Targa and a Ducati sporting a full race exhaust with tune. I enjoy my gasoline powered toys. These aren’t mutually exclusive things — you can be an enthusiast and appreciate EVs.
The following 2 users liked this post by detansinn:
AKB991 (09-08-2023), Edward911 (05-12-2023)
Old 05-11-2023 | 02:45 PM
SConn
Drifting

Mid-life? Time to buy a Harley Davidson.
Harley is going electric too 🙄
Old 05-11-2023 | 03:23 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by SConn
Harley is going electric too 🙄
So many manufacturers and consumers love to jump on the bandwagon. The vast majority of people are easily influenced or impressed. What can I say.
jfischet (05-12-2023)
Old 05-11-2023 | 05:14 PM
Jay Gallego
1st Gear

Just don't.
Old 05-11-2023 | 05:21 PM
Catharpin
Burning Brakes

When you spec an F150 to what’s included in the Lightning trims, the delta is actually between $7500-10000 depending on the trims. For buyers and trims that qualify for the tax credit, the tax credit covers the spread.
The trick here is qualifying for the tax credit. I know I don't, and I would imagine a good percentage of us on this thread don't. I would also speculate that someone considering dropping $170K on a toy doesn't qualify either. The devil is in the details!
AKB991 (09-08-2023)
Old 05-12-2023 | 01:13 AM
IWOA911
Instructor

Originally Posted by Wizo
So I decided to leave my office a little early to do a test drive and look at the car more without the family distraction.

I drove the Taycan for the first time after the sales guy (a good friend) drove it first…He drove that thing so freaking fast that I still think I am dizzy - I never in my life remember going that fast around corners and got woozy on straight line acceleration.

The tech is cool and for some reason to me it looks simply amazing! Especially in the Ice Grey with black bits and carbon exterior mirrors.

It actually made noise that simulated acceleration which was weird but welcomed so it’s not whisper quiet.
Ride was smooth and the insulated glass kept heat and road noise out. Definitely a very different experience to what I have now.

This one I am interested in has a bunch of options to the tune of $170k. It’s definitely on the high side.

I read all the comments and first wanted to say Thank you for the feedback.

I am torn here as most everyone noted I have a daily already but this was to replace my weekend and fun car to enjoy.

I haven’t made a decision 100% as of yet and wanted to first figure out what my GTS is worth right now - I know what it’s worth to me. Trouble if I go this route it will be hard to get what I feel is a fair deal.

I do also agree that I may regret letting this one go after sometime looking again for the visceral sound and feel of a motor.

I am taking the next couple days to keep researching and will let everyone know what the end decision will be.

Dude this isn’t the airport so there’s no need to announce your departure. The congregation has spoken.
detansinn (05-12-2023)
Old 05-12-2023 | 01:40 AM
z168
Racer

Is leasing the Taycan and keeping the GTS not an option?
Old 05-12-2023 | 08:59 AM
Bud Taylor
Drifting

Default Telsa

I would buy a tesla first as they have been doing it longer. Electric=commuter car. For me the range is not there yet for road trips. When they get to 500 miles im in. Taycan is not a sports car.
Old 05-12-2023 | 09:32 AM
detansinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bud Taylor
I would buy a tesla first as they have been doing it longer. Electric=commuter car. For me the range is not there yet for road trips. When they get to 500 miles im in. Taycan is not a sports car.
Tesla produces smoking hot garbage. Taycan drives like a real car — a four door sports car. The experiences aren’t comparable. Tesla range numbers are BS. Porsche underpromises and over delivers.

Charging speed is far more important than absolute range. Most of my Taycan charging stops were around 15 minutes. I’d rather have fast charging and a lighter car than haul around a big battery everywhere.

Around 200 miles highway range gets you between nearly every fast charging stop in the country.
GoTexas (05-12-2023)

Quick Reply: Crazy for considering selling my GTS for Taycan??