Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Crazy for considering selling my GTS for Taycan??

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2023 | 08:25 AM
vanlieremead
Rennlist Member

You are experiencing the new car blues. I also like the Tacan but if it must be electric, I’m waiting for the electric 718 (or whatever they call it.) My wife has an expression. A car with 4 seats is not a sports car. I agree with most of the above but question for you is how will you use it. Good luck.
Old 05-09-2023 | 09:53 AM
ATL Fahrer
Rennlist Member

Another abuser of the rare earth metal crowd…
The following users liked this post:
911Raider (05-09-2023)
Old 05-09-2023 | 10:01 AM
rwbern
Rennlist Member

Sell the GTS for a what?
They're coming to take him away, ho ho, he he, ha ha, they’re coming to take him away!
(that memory cell should have been dead a long time ago).
Old 05-09-2023 | 10:20 AM
desmotesta
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Porsche911GTS'16
Keep it.

Trading in a naturally aspirated GTS (the last and most powerful naturally aspirated Carrera ever, mind you) for a first generation electric vehicle would be, to me, like swapping a Patek Philippe for an iWatch.

Good luck replacing the GTS you spent so much time and effort perfecting in the likely event you end up missing it. The Taycan you swap it out for will be obsolete in a matter of years. The 991.1 GTS will always be held in high regard. Sure, a first generation iWatch is cool but it is already outdated and will look even more outdated with each passing generation. Meanwhile, the Patek (like the GTS) will always be a classic, will age gracefully, and will continue to appreciate in value.

this says it all
Nidal (05-10-2023)
Old 05-09-2023 | 10:28 AM
Holli82
Rennlist Member

If you want a Taycan, get it. I'm sure someone else will enjoy your GTS more. Not a trade I would consider.

Beautiful GTS BTW. Tastefully modded.
Old 05-09-2023 | 06:59 PM
992.Turbo.S
Racer

I just traded my 991.2 GTS for a 992 TTS and a part of me still misses my GTS. I would be crying like a baby if I had traded it for a Taycan.

Keep the GTS. You can’t replace it once it’s gone unless you buy someone else’s used with a different spec without all of your personal upgrades.
Old 05-09-2023 | 07:35 PM
Atheist
Racer

Originally Posted by 992.Turbo.S
I just traded my 991.2 GTS for a 992 TTS and a part of me still misses my GTS. I would be crying like a baby if I had traded it for a Taycan.

Keep the GTS. You can’t replace it once it’s gone unless you buy someone else’s used with a different spec without all of your personal upgrades.
I would love to know what about the 991.2 gts you miss the most considering the 992 TTS would be considered an upgrade by most?
Old 05-09-2023 | 09:31 PM
Acropora8
Instructor

@Wizo I don't think you should sell for a Taycan but if you do, give me a ring. Your car is modded and spec'd beautifully and I would like a shot at it if you decide to let her go.
Old 05-09-2023 | 09:54 PM
PJ Cayenne
Rennlist Member

Nothing electric will ever replace my 911. Get a Taycan if you want. but you will regret selling the 911 about 30 seconds after you sign it away in a trade.
Old 05-09-2023 | 10:31 PM
detansinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Last February, I traded in my 992C4S, with more than 35k miles, at the peak of the market for a Taycan 4S build that was sitting in Emden.

I loved the car. Steering feel darn near identical to the 992. Until you really start sliding around, it hides the weight well and feels like a 911 with real back seats.

The Taycan charges faster than any other EV out there — it’s not just peak charge rate as it’s an incredibly aggressive charging curve. I got adept at managing my SoC with charging stops as little as 10 minutes. Stellar road trip machine. In 8 months, I clocked in 26k miles across 14 states.

It all came to an end when I was making a right turn into a shopping center when the driver of a Toyota 4Runner, who wasn’t paying attention, rear-ended me at speed. I was lucky to walk away, but the car was totaled.

No regrets doing the trade, but I did eventually find myself back in a 911 and bought a replacement EV.

Last edited by detansinn; 05-09-2023 at 10:34 PM.
Edward911 (05-12-2023)
Old 05-10-2023 | 02:28 AM
96redLT4
Rennlist Member

....and I'm trying to decide whether I should trade my 991.1 GTS for a GT3T
Old 05-10-2023 | 07:51 AM
Guards_Red_991
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Wizo
I took the family to a car show and now that my kids are getting bigger/older…they were complaining about how cramp they felt. They are 9 and 5 years old.
The kids will grow and have their own lives, they'll start driving and think your 911 is an awesome car.

wife who loves the way my 911 looks - thinks it’s too loud, too low and too perfect
I hope this is not an issue weighing on your decision. According to my wife every car I've owned for the past 2 decades has been too loud, too low, too stinky, etc...

Keep the 911, you will regret it.
Old 05-10-2023 | 03:56 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

I have spent the better part of 3 years making my GTS perfect. Spent over 30k in parts and countless hours on sourcing the best parts and installation.
The GTS is perfect right out of the showroom. I'd love to know what you spent $30K on?

I drove a Taycan Turbo S and I would not consider it or any EV. No thanks, but then I do not have much use for EVs.
Nidal (05-10-2023)
Old 05-10-2023 | 04:55 PM
Atheist
Racer

Electric cars don't do it for me for a couple of reasons.
1. An electric car seems like an iphone. The technology is changing so fast any new electric today will seem like outdated tech tomorrow. Similar to chasing the latest iphone model.
2. In the not too distant future all cars will just be very quick electric vehicles that drive themselves and the thrill of driving will be replaced by sterile / luxurious vehicles that will provide transportation to the occupants while they play video games or work or read during their travel.
3. There will be very little that separate the actual performance of electric vehicles with all of them being comparable to each other, and the main differences will be the level of luxury inside, looks and the status of how much certain models will cost. What is special about a Porsche EV that goes 0-60 in 3 seconds, when they all go 0-60 in 3 seconds? . Speaking of which, what does launching an EV to 60 in 3 seconds do to the range? How many times can you accelerate that quickly before you need to recharge or before you overheat the battery and have a fire?
4. The government will find a way to collect taxes to fix the roads due to the extreme weight of the vehicles. Now gasoline taxes are the revenue source for most road maintenance. The EV revolution will drive the price of electricity sky high and the taxes lost from gasoline will be assessed in some fashion to the purchase or registration of EVs. They are not going to be any more economical than ICE cars for the consumer. Don't get me started on the environmental damage they will do other than to say they will not be the environmental saviors due to the issues of battery disposal, lithium mining etc.

I could go on and to each his own. I considered a Taycan but at 68 years old for the next decade or so, I will enjoy what I have grown to love and that is climbing into my GTS ( which is fairly comparable in acceleration to an EV ) and more fun in every other way. I can go 0 to 60 in 3 seconds over and over and over again if I choose. Will an EV ever keep pace with me on the open road for any length of time? Will the enjoyment of modifying a EV ever be available to an enthusiast? In any case if I am still around a decade from now maybe I will move to an EV when I am to old to climb into a 911 and may not have the reflexes or desire to drive. Also while the time to enjoy the last and the best of ICE Porsches is limited, there doesn't seem to be any rush for me to go EV as they can only get better and probably will be around for some time. What's the rush?

To the OP buy a Taycan if you feel moved to but based on your list of family vehicles and the fact you GTS is paid for and perfectly modded for you, my suggestion would be to keep the GTS. Even if you park it and don't drive it, (highly unlikely) as it will be a fun addition and a collector item at some point. Of all your vehicles it is the one I would not part with. IMO The fact that you ask the question "am I crazy" sort of tells me you already know the answer.

Last edited by Atheist; 05-10-2023 at 04:58 PM.
IXLR8 (05-11-2023)
Old 05-10-2023 | 05:05 PM
Atheist
Racer

Not to get off topic but Demotesta I see the quote on your posts "Turbochargers are for people who can't build Engines.." Keith Duckworth ( Cosworth Formula 1)"

While I get the NA crowd loves NA cars, doesn't this quote seem dated and make Mr. Duckworth seem a little idiotic. I mean seeing how Porsche, MBZ, Ferrari, and a whole host of other people who CAN build engines put turbocharges on their fastest and best performing cars? I have two Porsches one is NA and the other is Turbo charged. I love them both for different reasons but clearly the statement is blatantly false.

Quick Reply: Crazy for considering selling my GTS for Taycan??