Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CPO ed cars

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2023, 12:36 PM
PV997
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,506 Likes on 644 Posts

Let me give an example that just happened to me over the last week. Suppose CPO adds $2000 to a car’s price (a made up number), but let’s run with that.

My car just had a P0456 error, a small leak in the EVAP system, replacing the gas cap didn’t fix it and I have smog coming up. For laughs I talked to the dealer and they quoted 1 hour labor diagnosis but stated the problem was most likely the leak detection pump. If that turned out to be true the parts cost was $395 (Porsche MSRP) and two hours labor to replace it. Total cost of $1145 with labor and parts (diagnosis and repair).

I looked into it and determined that they were probably right about it being the leak detection pump. I also found the OEM Bosch part was available for $70 (as opposed to $395 for genuine Porsche). Being so inexpensive, I took a gamble and just replaced it myself, took about an hour and a half. The part that came off had the exact same PN on it as the new Bosch part. Fixed the error with a total cost $70 and some time in the garage I probably would have wasted anyways.

With CPO I would have thought the warranty was really worth it as I just saved $1145. Only a few more dealership repairs and it will have paid for itself. In truth, that warranty would not have saved me $1145, but far less than that, even if I had taken it to an indy rather than DIY. CPO is good insurance against inflated dealership repair costs but no one has to take their car to a dealer for repairs, doing so is a choice.

Last edited by PV997; 05-07-2023 at 12:52 PM.
The following users liked this post:
dak911 (05-07-2023)
Old 05-10-2023, 09:52 AM
keperkey
4th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I searched and could not find it but does anyone know what the cost to the dealer to CPO a car is other than any deferred maintenance?

A car I am looking at was bought by the dealer at a local estate auction so I know how much the dealer has in it in acquisition costs. Just trying to figure out their all in cost.
Old 05-10-2023, 09:54 AM
NHmacan
Racer

Received 212 Likes on 134 Posts

It depends on the model. I know before Covid it was around 3K dealer cost Im sure it has gone up from there.
Old 05-10-2023, 05:09 PM
dak911
Three Wheelin'

Received 147 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by NHmacan
It depends on the model. I know before Covid it was around 3K dealer cost Im sure it has gone up from there.
I think it was around $3 to $4 but what does that include,,Brakes...Tires ..Battery included
I bought a 2013 Boxster a few years ago from a M/B dealer...somehow in the paperwork there were "internal" R/O for just over $4000 ( I don't think I was supposed to see that)
Tires and brakes were done + a bunch of unspecified $200 to $400 R/O's
Made me think what did they give for the car on a trade in ??
Old 05-10-2023, 05:17 PM
911boy
Three Wheelin'

Received 137 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by ram_g
Also keep in mind that CPO does not address cosmetics (including rattles, etc.) and these are not covered by the warranty. The degree of cosmetic reconditioning that a dealer does is seemingly all over the map. Make sure that these sorts of things have been taken care of before you buy the car.
I have bought 3 CPO cars and each one looked brand new. No rattles and finish was perfect. There were a few minor scratches on the wing of my second one and the dealer fixed it immediately. Bought each with 6000 kms. The only way i would buy a used Porsche.
The following 2 users liked this post by 911boy:
dak911 (05-10-2023), pkalhan (05-11-2023)
Old 05-10-2023, 05:32 PM
CubsFan1
Rennlist Member

Received 670 Likes on 402 Posts

With all due respect, and just friendly discussion, your follow-on statement contradicts your original position of looking brand new. Suppose the definition of a used car appearing brand new will be different for everyone. But the point is, you had to ask the dealer to fix the minor scratches on a car they were selling as CPO and would have happily sold as CPO without addressing. Not claiming that is an issue at all, but people really should inspect any car, including CPO. I'm not bashing CPO or the program, but cars offered as CPO vary in condition just like the dealers who sell them.

Originally Posted by 911boy
I have bought 3 CPO cars and each one looked brand new. No rattles and finish was perfect. There were a few minor scratches on the wing of my second one and the dealer fixed it immediately. Bought each with 6000 kms. The only way i would buy a used Porsche.
The following users liked this post:
Honda (07-06-2023)
Old 05-10-2023, 05:37 PM
911boy
Three Wheelin'

duplicate

Last edited by 911boy; 05-10-2023 at 05:41 PM.
Old 05-10-2023, 05:40 PM
911boy
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by CubsFan1
With all due respect, and just friendly discussion, your follow-on statement contradicts your original position of looking brand new. Suppose the definition of a used car appearing brand new will be different for everyone. But the point is, you had to ask the dealer to fix the minor scratches on a car they were selling as CPO and would have happily sold as CPO without addressing. Not claiming that is an issue at all, but people really should inspect any car, including CPO. I'm not bashing CPO or the program, but cars offered as CPO vary in condition just like the dealers who sell them.
I should have clarified.......the second one was shipped from another province. In transit the wing got minor swirls/scratches (that many people wouldn't have noticed.) which they fixed immediately without question. The other two were immaculate....both polished/corrected . I hand wash 1-2 times/week.....I notice imperfections. These car were purchased in Toronto
Old 05-10-2023, 05:41 PM
CubsFan1
Rennlist Member

Received 670 Likes on 402 Posts

Sounds like you have an awesome dealer to work with and who sell nice used cars.

Originally Posted by 911boy
I should have clarified.......the second one was shipped from another province. In transit the wing got minor swirls/scratches (that many people wouldn't have noticed.) which they fixed immediately without question. The other two were immaculate....both polished/corrected . I hand wash 1-2 times/week.....I notice imperfections. These car were purchased in Toronto
Old 05-10-2023, 05:43 PM
911boy
Three Wheelin'

Agreed. I'm surprised to hear that they aren't all like that.
Old 05-10-2023, 07:00 PM
NHmacan
Racer

Received 212 Likes on 134 Posts

3-4K is what they need to pay to PCNA to certify that does not include any work they need to do to bring the car up to certification. So if they need to put on new tires or brakes its the cost of that plus the CPO charge. Also I know it is accounting, but most dealerships charge the sales side retail for the work they do to get a car ready for sale.
Old 06-08-2023, 01:34 PM
yosshaa
Rennlist Member

Received 108 Likes on 28 Posts

I had a PADM fault, and Porsche just replaced 2 motor mounts for free, at an out-of-warranty cost of 6k, the CPO more than pays for itself.
Old 06-08-2023, 02:12 PM
Tier1Terrier
Rennlist Member

Received 922 Likes on 460 Posts

You need to be careful especially if you are buying the car remotely (in other words, having it shipped to you). I had an indy mechanic check out a car for me on a lift that was at a remote dealer and was being offered as CPO. The car failed my indy mechanic's inspection miserably and I wouldn't have known the wiser. The brake pads were well below CPO spec, the tires were chunked all around the corner edges, and there were rusted bolts all underneath (car was only 2 years old). Also, the paint was in horrible condition with swirls everywhere. Since I was looking at this car remotely, all I could go by was the beautiful photos the dealer had posted online which revealed none of the issues I just mentioned. I had already paid a deposit on the car before the inspection took place, so fortunately I was able to get it back. The dealer was not flexible and claimed their technicians disagreed with my indy mechanic's assessment. If not for the fact that the indy mechanic took detailed photos of the issues (brake pads, tires, paint, and rusted bolts), I couldn't really be sure. The indy mechanic said that the car did not look like it was previous well taken care of and to stay away.
Old 06-08-2023, 02:42 PM
CSK 911 C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 837 Likes on 418 Posts

My current CPO'ed car started at time of sale and I bought an additional year..... but I did looks at a few cars during my search where the dealer was selling with only the balance of CPO remaining.

They should be up front about this.

Old 07-05-2023, 06:52 PM
Simple_413
AutoX

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

My CPO started at end of my new car warranty which was about 2 months from the sales date.

I will say, before now I have had no issue with my CPO experience because they covered the handful of things that were wrong and all under $500.

I just had my first major issue, both my wheel bearings went bad and need to be replaced. Service center is saying PCNA does not cover this as it is considered a normal wear and tear item. My car is definitely not low miles at 60k (Purchased with 40k) but Ive had cars go over 100k with no wheel bearing issues. None of the miles are from track driving or even aggressive driving, most are highway.

Not sure if anyone else has had this problem with CPO coverage, or regular coverage for that matter. Service center gave me a quote of $3,800 for the job.

Quick Reply: CPO ed cars