Sponsored by:

Got scammed in the Rennlist Marketplace

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2023, 11:50 AM
ATL Fahrer
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 47 Posts
Default Got scammed in the Rennlist Marketplace

Hey everyone, just wanted to let you know about a scam going on in the marketplace. Evidently a user account was hacked and a product was posted for sale.

I checked out the account and all looked legitimate - even checked previous posts from the account. I then pm’d and arranged for the sale. Venmo’d the money. During this process and unbeknownst to me, Rennlist mods banned the account with NO EXPLANATION and did not remove the ad. I am including screen grabs of the post and the subsequent screen once selected. It is the DSC Controller ad.

Lesson learned…

Old 04-14-2023, 01:45 PM
Cur
Instructor

Received 103 Likes on 74 Posts

I'm sorry this happened to you.

This always scares me about doing transactions with people I don't know... even on well established forums with members who seem to be in good standing. I've only done a few transactions worth more than $100, but I've always asked to call the person on their phone. If they wouldn't do that, I avoided the item, even if I really wanted it.

Hopefully Paypal / Venmo can help you out...
Old 04-14-2023, 05:59 PM
NHmacan
Racer

Received 212 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by Cur
I'm sorry this happened to you.

This always scares me about doing transactions with people I don't know... even on well established forums with members who seem to be in good standing. I've only done a few transactions worth more than $100, but I've always asked to call the person on their phone. If they wouldn't do that, I avoided the item, even if I really wanted it.

Hopefully Paypal / Venmo can help you out...
If you use PayPal goods and services you would be covered. I I dont think Venmo has buyer protection. I recently go scammed trying to buy some specialty target ammo for my Uncle. I had a bad feeling when the guy said he would only take Paypal friends and family. He insisted it was because it was firearm related and Paypal would shut down the account if he was an ammo vendor. My Uncle insisted this was true and asked me to send. Needless to say $170 down the drain.
Old 04-14-2023, 06:06 PM
Geovante
Track Day

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ATL Fahrer
Hey everyone, just wanted to let you know about a scam going on in the marketplace. Evidently a user account was hacked and a product was posted for sale.

I checked out the account and all looked legitimate - even checked previous posts from the account. I then pm’d and arranged for the sale. Venmo’d the money. During this process and unbeknownst to me, Rennlist mods banned the account with NO EXPLANATION and did not remove the ad. I am including screen grabs of the post and the subsequent screen once selected. It is the DSC Controller ad.

Lesson learned…

Damn, I would've fell for that. That was a good price.
Old 04-14-2023, 06:44 PM
asellus
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,064 Likes on 1,280 Posts

Do not pay for something on the internet without buyer protection.

It's at the top of the marketplace, as a reminder: https://rennlist.com/forums/the-renn...eware-179.html

Rennlist mods banned the account with NO EXPLANATION
I'm not sure what the expectation is here? Alerting everyone when and why an account is banned from Rennlist is not going to happen.
The following users liked this post:
mhconley (04-14-2023)
Old 04-15-2023, 12:09 AM
ATL Fahrer
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 47 Posts

LOL. The expectation is that YOU explain that the post has been deleted and that this is an erroneous account instead of saying “contact” administrator (which I did with no response). As you’re an administrator, your statement that an alert is not going to happen is a certain guarantee. Thanks for that.
skl2 (04-15-2023)
Old 04-15-2023, 03:17 AM
z168
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 54 Posts

I'm sorry to hear this happened. Unless its someone you really know, I wouldnt venmo or pay for something with buyer protection.

That said, I still know of very good people online. There was once who picked an item up for me (local CL) and shipped prior to me paying. it was a $2.6K item too. It pays to be a good citizen online sometimes
Old 04-15-2023, 09:06 AM
Bud Taylor
Drifting

Received 423 Likes on 304 Posts
Default 1 way to stay safe

Is to do a facebook video call where they show you the part.
Cur (04-15-2023)
Old 04-15-2023, 10:50 AM
PV997
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,506 Likes on 644 Posts

Originally Posted by Geovante
Damn, I would've fell for that. That was a good price.
Not to beat up on the OP but that was the first red flag, these modules are never that cheap. These scammers price things to look like a fantastic deal but not absurdly low priced, they understand human nature. Couple that with insisting on a payment method with no buyer protection and there's another red flag.

Buyer beware unfortunately, a hard lesson learned.
SConn (04-15-2023)
Old 04-15-2023, 11:11 AM
asellus
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,064 Likes on 1,280 Posts

LOL. The expectation is that YOU explain that the post has been deleted and that this is an erroneous account instead of saying “contact” administrator (which I did with no response). As you’re an administrator, your statement that an alert is not going to happen is a certain guarantee. Thanks for that.
I'm not sure I understand.

When a post is deleted, any links to it will result in the generic 404 page you've posted a screenshot of. We can't delete a post and have a specialized message for anyone who saved a link to that post, that's not how this forum software works.

The account title is "banned" and the post is deleted. That's all the "alert" you're going to see from these actions.

Quick Reply: Got scammed in the Rennlist Marketplace