Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CPO Scam?

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2023 | 07:50 AM
Bud Taylor
Drifting

Default Yea

Bought mine 6 years old with 5k miles. Due to maitenance schedule they were supposed to have changed plugs. They did not. Lucky for me none were frozen.

Originally Posted by HardRider
Another great mystery of CPO is did they do the maintenance? Did they change the plugs, air filter.......... I lost a lot of altitude with CPO and how it was sold. Its covers everything, no worries, then first claim, well its not a new car warranty......In the end you will win, just send a demand letter detailing Porsche failure to honor the contract...
The following users liked this post:
Cur (04-13-2023)
Old 04-13-2023 | 08:54 AM
Cur
Instructor

Is there a general consensus on the forums in regards to CPO? I haven't visited enough since I've been a member, especially this subsection.

I'm looking at 17-18's right now, and there are some CPO cars with 40-60k on them, and some 5-30k mile cars with no CPO on them for similar price / options. I feel like I'd be "safer" in the much lower mileage car, but I also know today 50k isn't really much for a car (I plan on keeping as long as I can...)

I can put a Fidelity warranty on the lower mileage cars for a much longer time for a couple-three grand less. I know the dealers will say "CPO or bust", but I'd expect them to say that.

Old 04-13-2023 | 11:21 AM
Winston20
Intermediate

I wrote a letter to my dealer when I found out the PCM had been modified in my CPO car and it stopped working. They originally weren’t going to cover the costs of repair/replacement. But the letter did the trick.

here is what I wrote, worth a shot.I am writing to bring to your attention an issue with the CarPlay and PCM on the 911 that I recently purchased from your you. While I am generally happy with the car, there are a few issues that have arisen since I took delivery of the vehicle.

When I purchased the car, I wasn’t aware that an aftermarket CarPlay kit and backup camera had been installed. However, I was able to use both of these features without any issues when the car was delivered to me. Unfortunately, the CarPlay stopped working after only a few days of use.

I scheduled a service appointment with a local dealership( Porsche Bellevue copied) to have the PCM looked at, but was told that the repair was not covered due to the aftermarket modifications that had been made. Upon reviewing the CPO report, I also noticed that a front camera had been previously installed and removed during the inspection (attached). I am unclear if the CarPlay or PCM was damaged during this removal.

Given that the PCM was opened and modified and not restored to factory specifications, and the fact that the car was certified, I am hoping that the dealer can either fix the issue or restore it back to factory specifications. I believe that as a certified pre-owned vehicle, the car should have been inspected and repaired to the highest standards, which clearly was not the case in this situation.

I would appreciate your attention to this matter and would like to resolve this issue as soon as possible. Please let me know what steps can be taken to address this situation.

Thank you for your time and attention to this matter.
The following users liked this post:
Larson E. Rapp (04-15-2023)
Old 04-14-2023 | 11:31 PM
PV997
Three Wheelin'

Surprised no one has commented on a $1200 quote for a leaking coolant hose, seems absurdly high. I'd be surprised if this was more than a $400 job anywhere other than a dealership.

If they won't cover it under CPO definitely get a second opinion from an indy or consider a DIY. I know you are probably concerned how that would affect your CPO but they can't have it both ways (i.e. deny CPO but then make you buy service from them to maintain CPO).

Edit: In rereading it's not clear from your original post if they already did the work or not. If not, take it to a good indy.

Last edited by PV997; 04-14-2023 at 11:34 PM.
Old 04-15-2023 | 10:51 AM
MingusDew
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by desmotesta
JFC! What kind of Fidelity warranty did you get a quote for?

I paid less than half for a 5 yr Platinum term and my GTS had 33K miles
Honestly, I don’t recall, but I think it was 5 yr or something around that. I used the website quote system when they first started doing that, it was March or April of 22. The price was absurd to me, so I passed on it. Someone else said they got one for $3500. I would have paid $3500 back then, but now my mileage is higher and the car is out of factory warranty for a few months now. I could look into it again, these prices seem much more reasonable.

edit: I just tried the website again, and now, a year later, it says “not offered in California” for the warranty, so I’m not sure, perhaps the high price I got before was for California and now they don’t even offer them here? So weird.
https://factoryprotect.ratessys.com/direct/collect/auto

Last edited by MingusDew; 04-15-2023 at 11:36 AM.

Quick Reply: CPO Scam?