CPO Scam?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2023, 06:45 PM
YEManual
5th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default CPO Scam?

CPO Scam?
Brought my 991.1 C4s in to Porsche of San Diego for an engine coolant fault. 1 year into CPO purchase. Turns out there was an aftermarket hose that was too short that is causing the leak. I said great CPO it! But getting push back from dealership, CPO denial of the repair, and a $1200 repair bill. Seems like BS. Anyone with a similar issue. Any contacts at porsche warranty to complain. Thanks.
Old 04-11-2023, 06:59 PM
HardRider
Racer

Received 177 Likes on 121 Posts

CPO is such a false security blanket.
Old 04-11-2023, 07:01 PM
Cur
Instructor

Received 103 Likes on 74 Posts

Ouch, that's not good.

It's stuff like this I agonize over when deciding to either just save some cash aside for repairs yearly or go in for a warranty from Fidelity.
Old 04-11-2023, 07:13 PM
bighoward503
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 26 Posts

Dealt with a similar situation regarding items I was still owed after delivery on a CPO purchase. Car arrived without the second key and was missing owners manual. CPO checklist noted the items being present but they were missing when car was delivered (out of state). Long story short they replaced all the items but it took me leaving negative reviews on multiple social media platforms and car dealer review sites. Looks like they bungled the CPO or didn’t do as well a job as they should have. Either way, they should make good on this.
The following users liked this post:
Innw21 (04-12-2023)
Old 04-11-2023, 07:18 PM
MingusDew
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,177 Likes on 594 Posts

Originally Posted by Cur
Ouch, that's not good.

It's stuff like this I agonize over when deciding to either just save some cash aside for repairs yearly or go in for a warranty from Fidelity.
The quote I got for Fidelity when my car had 10.5k miles on it and still under factory warranty was $8500, which seemed pricey to me. These cars are overall pretty stout and have proven to not be as problematic as most VW/Audi related products, so I’m willing to assume the risk myself. Everyone’s risk tolerance is different though.
AKKutz (04-11-2023)
Old 04-11-2023, 07:20 PM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,184 Likes on 711 Posts

Porsche CPO is equivalent to Customer Pissed Off because they do not really check the roadworthiness of the car (they make it look pretty for a quick sale) and they will fight you if there is any major repair issue by saying, "Oh, that is not covered".
Old 04-11-2023, 07:46 PM
Explorer16
Instructor

Received 100 Likes on 63 Posts

A CPO car is a CPO car. It is BS. It's not your fault that they did not spot the aftermarket hose before calling it a CPO car.
The following 4 users liked this post by Explorer16:
ash_schwin (04-12-2023), HardRider (04-11-2023), NHmacan (04-11-2023), YEManual (04-11-2023)
Old 04-11-2023, 07:53 PM
NHmacan
Racer

Received 212 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by Explorer16
A CPO car is a CPO car. It is BS. It's not your fault that they did not spot the aftermarket hose before calling it a CPO car.
What he said if it was there when you bought it CPO it’s on them. Push back hard if they won’t fix tell them they owe you the cost of CPO back because they sold you CPO on a car that wasn’t eligible.
The following 2 users liked this post by NHmacan:
pkalhan (04-16-2023), Z00mie (04-12-2023)
Old 04-11-2023, 08:24 PM
jpasiczn
Intermediate

Received 25 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bighoward503
Dealt with a similar situation regarding items I was still owed after delivery on a CPO purchase. Car arrived without the second key and was missing owners manual. CPO checklist noted the items being present but they were missing when car was delivered (out of state). Long story short they replaced all the items but it took me leaving negative reviews on multiple social media platforms and car dealer review sites. Looks like they bungled the CPO or didn’t do as well a job as they should have. Either way, they should make good on this.
just dealt with the same exact issue with my recent cpo purchase. no 2nd key or manuals or window sticker. 2nd key arrived not programmed to the car, required a visit to the dealer. On top of that, the PCM was broken and Bluetooth connection and navigation wouldn’t work. Sales manager said he personally drove it before the truck picked it up, must have broken in transit 🙄

mustarossa (04-12-2023)
Old 04-11-2023, 09:25 PM
HardRider
Racer

Received 177 Likes on 121 Posts

Another great mystery of CPO is did they do the maintenance? Did they change the plugs, air filter.......... I lost a lot of altitude with CPO and how it was sold. Its covers everything, no worries, then first claim, well its not a new car warranty......In the end you will win, just send a demand letter detailing Porsche failure to honor the contract...
Old 04-11-2023, 09:42 PM
HkPlinker
Three Wheelin'

Received 140 Likes on 106 Posts

By certifying the car as a CPO qualified vehicle, they are bound to comply with the items listed within the CPO agreement, period.
Take it to the service manager, then the sales manager, then the GM, the owner then PCNA.
Simply put, The Certified Porsche Technician missed the aftermarket part and it's on them to properly replace the part to factory specifications to bring to car to CPO status. That is the car you purchased.

Naples Porsche went above and beyond on my 991 with no hesitation or ever questioned me the three times my car came in.

Last edited by HkPlinker; 04-11-2023 at 09:44 PM.
pkalhan (04-16-2023)
Old 04-11-2023, 09:43 PM
WP0
Rennlist Member

Received 245 Likes on 156 Posts

You are protected with CPO. Read the fine print: you can file a claim with CAP Motors, and have it adjudicated by an independent arbitrator at the location of your choosing. I bought a CPO car over four years ago, and a few things were not properly CPO'd. The dealership didn't agree with me, so I filed a CAP Motors claim and won. I stand by the CPO process, and I've bought 2 CPO cars. . .

But ultimately, you are relying on the reputation of the dealership who gives it the CPO designation. So, you buy the dealership in a way when you buy a CPO car. Some dealerships will CPO a car with aftermarket exhaust, etc. I wouldn't buy from them. Other dealerships will not CPO a car with non-OEM blinker lights: those are the dealerships to buy a CPO car from.

Last edited by WP0; 04-11-2023 at 10:00 PM.
pkalhan (04-16-2023)
Old 04-12-2023, 08:57 AM
JimEb
Racer

Received 121 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by HkPlinker
Naples Porsche went above and beyond on my 991 with no hesitation or ever questioned me the three times my car came in.
Just wanted to comment on Naples Porsche as well. Dealt with them back when I was looking for my 911 and have to say those guys were really awesome. Way different than my local dealership. Those guys wouldn’t even let me open a door on one of their used 911’s sitting in their lot.
Old 04-12-2023, 10:11 AM
IRunalot
Rennlist Member

Received 270 Likes on 170 Posts

Question for you guys on CPO, and sorry I'm not trying to hijack your thread but maybe this question will help someone. What is the standard for CPO? My car came CPO with 29k miles but needed, brakes, the upper rear shock mounts are worn, and it needed a good detail.

I used this to get a better price as I was going to replace the brakes and order Tractive coil overs with new top mounts but shouldn't a CPO car not have these issues?
Old 04-12-2023, 10:28 AM
Levy
Racer

Received 284 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by HkPlinker
By certifying the car as a CPO qualified vehicle, they are bound to comply with the items listed within the CPO agreement, period.
Take it to the service manager, then the sales manager, then the GM, the owner then PCNA.
Simply put, The Certified Porsche Technician missed the aftermarket part and it's on them to properly replace the part to factory specifications to bring to car to CPO status. That is the car you purchased.

All true. the dealer is trying you on in hopes you'll get over it/go away. CPO is in fact a binding contract. lots of folks just get twisted and walk away when no remedy is offered. the dealer will try to see if you're one of these people. when they find out you're not (by you escalating it and raising hell), they will be forced to do the right thing (which they should have done outta the gates).

if you're wondering why they won't make the hose repair....CPO warranty *won't* cover/pay for this. it should have been spotted and taken care of during the cpo process (which the dealer would have paid for out of pocket/profits). it was going to be on their dime then so it's still on their dime now. just like a missing key

now go get um!

Last edited by Levy; 04-12-2023 at 10:33 AM.
IRunalot (04-12-2023)

Quick Reply: CPO Scam?