Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CPO Scam?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2023, 12:37 PM
CSK 911 C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 837 Likes on 418 Posts

CPO is a great security blanket to have.

I guess there are just some crappy dealers out there.

The following users liked this post:
pkalhan (04-16-2023)
Old 04-12-2023, 12:45 PM
straka
Racer

Received 144 Likes on 73 Posts

Purchased my CPO 2017 991.2 with 4000 miles June 2021. For two years I've had no success trying to have my dealership fix the wildly moving location arrow on my PCM screen when using Waze and Google Maps in Apple Car Play, making it unusable. My efforts have gone round and round from first being ignored by Porsche Customer Service although given case numbers. Month long stays at the dealership with no fix. About a month ago a Porsche rep. told the dealership don't spend anymore time on this problem, all Porsches do it! Finally after all this run around I again called Porsche Customer Service. I now have a real time contact person at Porsche Customer Service with a new case number (the fourth) who is helpfully trying to figure this out but hasn't come up with a solution. My CPO coverage ends in two months. I posted a couple long threads about this problem on Rennlist over the last two years. I have no guarantee that Porsche will commit to fixing this problem if they don't come up with a solution soon.
Old 04-12-2023, 01:29 PM
IRunalot
Rennlist Member

Received 270 Likes on 170 Posts

It looks like CPO is purely subjective to what the dealer wants to do on that day, but the general theme is don't cover it.

back in 2020 when I bought my F80 with 18k miles I asked for CPO. He said don't get it its a scam, and I have a year of factory warranty left. Guess he was right.

Last edited by IRunalot; 04-12-2023 at 01:31 PM.
Old 04-12-2023, 02:30 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 523 Likes on 346 Posts
Talking $8500? Seems steep!

Originally Posted by MingusDew
The quote I got for Fidelity when my car had 10.5k miles on it and still under factory warranty was $8500, which seemed pricey to me. These cars are overall pretty stout and have proven to not be as problematic as most VW/Audi related products, so I’m willing to assume the risk myself. Everyone’s risk tolerance is different though.
If $8,500 is brutal. This was for 5 years? About a year ago, I paid $2900 for a 3 year $100 deductible Platinum Plan from Fidelity. The car is a 2917 Carrera GTS, having 20,000 miles at the time the plan was purchased. So far, I have had no claims
Old 04-12-2023, 02:34 PM
Atheist
Racer

Received 195 Likes on 112 Posts

This is why I would never modify a car that is covered under warranty. Sometimes any excuse is enough for a company to try to escape liability. Especially when if you read the fine print, there are lots of disqualifying factors. Loopholes are built into every warranty it seems. Don't ever give them a reason to get off the hook.
pkalhan (04-16-2023)
Old 04-12-2023, 03:30 PM
Emefef
Rennlist Member

Received 146 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by Explorer16
A CPO car is a CPO car. It is BS. It's not your fault that they did not spot the aftermarket hose before calling it a CPO car.
I guess the counter from a less scrupulous dealer would be that they didn't spot it because it wasn't there.
Old 04-12-2023, 04:34 PM
z168
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by YEManual
CPO Scam?
Brought my 991.1 C4s in to Porsche of San Diego for an engine coolant fault. 1 year into CPO purchase. Turns out there was an aftermarket hose that was too short that is causing the leak. I said great CPO it! But getting push back from dealership, CPO denial of the repair, and a $1200 repair bill. Seems like BS. Anyone with a similar issue. Any contacts at porsche warranty to complain. Thanks.
Did you bring it for service to the same selling dealer?
Old 04-12-2023, 05:50 PM
desmotesta
Rennlist Member

Received 1,987 Likes on 945 Posts

The quote I got for Fidelity when my car had 10.5k miles on it and still under factory warranty was $8500, which seemed pricey to me. These cars are overall pretty stout and have proven to not be as problematic as most VW/Audi related products, so I’m willing to assume the risk myself. Everyone’s risk tolerance is different though.
JFC! What kind of Fidelity warranty did you get a quote for?

I paid less than half for a 5 yr Platinum term and my GTS had 33K miles
Old 04-12-2023, 07:08 PM
mtuomi
Advanced

Received 33 Likes on 17 Posts

That price is wrong, unless it's some weird unlimited mileage deal.

I paid around $4500 for 3yr/30k mile but my car has almost 50k miles.
Old 04-12-2023, 08:28 PM
HkPlinker
Three Wheelin'

Received 140 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by IRunalot
Question for you guys on CPO, and sorry I'm not trying to hijack your thread but maybe this question will help someone. What is the standard for CPO? My car came CPO with 29k miles but needed, brakes, the upper rear shock mounts are worn, and it needed a good detail.

I used this to get a better price as I was going to replace the brakes and order Tractive coil overs with new top mounts but shouldn't a CPO car not have these issues?

There are written specifications as of brake disk and pad wear that is "Go or No Go". If they are out of spec, Porsche MUST replace prior to the car being listed for sale. Since you bought and drove the car, I doubt they will cover, unless you've only driven a few miles and the disks/pads are "way" under spec for CPO. The shock pads should be covered as "an extension" of the suspension system
Old 04-12-2023, 10:25 PM
Laszlo_Laz
Pro

Received 332 Likes on 205 Posts

Originally Posted by CSK 911 C4S
CPO is a great security blanket to have.

I guess there are just some crappy dealers out there.
Never had an issue and it’s just another noisy thing to complain about on RL.

Why in the world should that hose be covered? It’s an aftermarket hose, and although it was probably missed during CPO inspection, it could have been replaced by the owner (from their perspective.)

I’m not even sure a 3rd would cover as well.

Anyway maybe a PPI would have caught this before the purchase but suppose is just a bad luck exception.
Old 04-12-2023, 10:41 PM
vanlieremead
Rennlist Member

Received 294 Likes on 200 Posts

Let’s see. You want to replace a non-Porsche part and you want Porsche to pay for it? Really?
Old 04-12-2023, 11:44 PM
James88
Three Wheelin'

Received 158 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by vanlieremead
Let’s see. You want to replace a non-Porsche part and you want Porsche to pay for it? Really?
I think you need to re-read his original post, its was CPO'd with it..
SConn (04-13-2023)
Old 04-12-2023, 11:57 PM
vanlieremead
Rennlist Member

Received 294 Likes on 200 Posts

Originally Posted by James88
I think you need to re-read his original post, its was CPO'd with it..
Yes, I know. I also get the frustration. The CPO should have replaced the part from the get go - I think that is the intent here. The fine print though says that Porsche won’t replace non-Porsche parts. In my view, the dealer should have made an economic consideration and at least make a goodwill offer.
James88 (04-13-2023)
Old 04-13-2023, 01:15 AM
Levy
Racer

Received 284 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by Laszlo_Laz
Never had an issue and it’s just another noisy thing to complain about on RL.

Why in the world should that hose be covered? It’s an aftermarket hose, and although it was probably missed during CPO inspection, it could have been replaced by the owner (from their perspective.)

I’m not even sure a 3rd would cover as well.

Anyway maybe a PPI would have caught this before the purchase but suppose is just a bad luck exception.
agree 100%. no way should the CPO warranty cover this. it says so in black and white/fine print. but the originating dealer should. thinking a "none oem* hose wouldn't be the easiest thing to spot during a cpo inspection but it's still their (the cpo-ing dealers) responsibility. had they caught it before hand and did the right thing (replaced it), they would have paid for it then. so why not now?

but then if they sank an extra $1200 into this car before cpo-ing/selling it, they probably would have had a higher asking price (based on what they owned the unit for).

still waiting for the op to chime back in regarding if the dealer repairing the car now is the same one he purchased from.

bottom line. the selling dealer needs to own up here. not the cpo warranty

Quick Reply: CPO Scam?