Sponsored by:

New Battery

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2023, 03:32 PM
Home Run
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 47 Posts
Default New Battery

Looking for some advice on replacing my old lead acid battery with a new anti-gravity battery. Are they worth the cost? I know there is a weight saving. And the battery will go into sleep mode if the voltage drops below a certain voltage.
Old 03-27-2023, 05:41 PM
CSK 911 C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 831 Likes on 416 Posts

Last edited by CSK 911 C4S; 03-27-2023 at 08:32 PM.
The following users liked this post:
shammerman (03-27-2023)
Old 03-27-2023, 07:25 PM
TimboCarrera
Racer

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts

I've had that battery for a while now and you can pm and I can provide kindhearted information
Old 03-27-2023, 07:28 PM
asellus
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,982 Likes on 1,228 Posts

Not worth the cost at all IMHO. The OEM AGM battery will last just about as long, be a quarter of the price, and have two or three times the capacity.

Your car has a BMS that will start cutting electrical systems if the voltage drops too low. Having a redundant one in the battery itself is pretty overkill IMHO. Having a battery inside your battery to jump your battery when your battery dies because you didn't plug it in and the measly 24AH capacity it has wasn't enough to last your three week trip out of town is just bordering on insanity.

If you aren't driving your car very often, but drive it often enough to have storage procedures be way too much of a hassle, just get a basic maintainer and plug it in when you aren't gonna drive it for a few weeks.

If it's a track car and reducing weight on the front half of the car is going to help you, and you can afford to drastically reduce your battery capacity since you aren't doing things like listening to the radio in a parking lot waiting for something, and you have a lot of money burning a hole in your pocket, then yeah. Get a lithium battery.

Last edited by asellus; 03-27-2023 at 07:29 PM.
Old 03-27-2023, 07:31 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 667 Likes on 464 Posts

Originally Posted by Home Run
Are they worth the cost?
Lets see, same group size H7 and same capacity 80Ah.

$1200 vs $250 and they last just as long. What do you think? I do not need the bragging rights.
Old 03-28-2023, 08:15 AM
vanlieremead
Rennlist Member

Received 279 Likes on 189 Posts

Agree. Stay AGM and get a CTEK if you can plug in. Or, do you have a particular use case in mind?
Old 03-28-2023, 10:56 AM
Home Run
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 47 Posts
Default New Battery

My temporary residence has a carport with no Elec. So no way to keep the battery on charge. My work takes me out of town once a month for a week or more.
Old 03-28-2023, 11:02 AM
shammerman
Rennlist Member

Received 625 Likes on 341 Posts

My temporary residence has a carport with no Elec. So no way to keep the battery on charge. My work takes me out of town once a month for a week or more.
A couple of weeks should not be a problem whatsoever without trickle charger. I had mine sitting this winter for 3-4 weeks (in the garage) before I finally plugged it in as the cold and snowy conditions continued and my battery is 9 years old.
Old 03-28-2023, 11:03 AM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

A week? I only have my battery on a battery maintainer when I am on vacation for more than a month and during the winter. The original Banner battery is going into its 9th year and I have never needed a boost or had starting issues. Why, is you battery dead after a week or two? If so, then you have high battery drain issues or an old battery with no capacity.

Last edited by IXLR8; 03-28-2023 at 11:04 AM.
Old 03-28-2023, 11:42 AM
rensoyka
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 102 Posts

extension cord? there has to be an exterior outlet on the building somewhere.
Old 03-28-2023, 05:13 PM
koala
Rennlist Member

Received 536 Likes on 314 Posts

Only you can answer if it is worth it. For me? Nope. I don't need the front end of the car, or my wallet, to be any lighter than they already are.
Old 03-29-2023, 12:52 PM
asellus
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,982 Likes on 1,228 Posts

the at-the-time 5 year old OEM AGM battery in my 991.2 was totally fine sitting around for a month outside in the cold.

unless your electrical system has problems, the parasitic drain is negligible and far, far lower than people would have you believe -- the same people, mind, that are trying to sell you a $1200 battery, or are trying to justify their purchase of a $1200 battery. a healthy car with a healthy battery will be fine after multiple months. 2-3 months is where I personally would consider doing some kind of storage ritual, such as unplugging the battery or hooking on a maintainer.
Old 03-29-2023, 01:12 PM
NHmacan
Racer

Received 211 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by asellus
Not worth the cost at all IMHO. The OEM AGM battery will last just about as long, be a quarter of the price, and have two or three times the capacity.

Your car has a BMS that will start cutting electrical systems if the voltage drops too low. Having a redundant one in the battery itself is pretty overkill IMHO. Having a battery inside your battery to jump your battery when your battery dies because you didn't plug it in and the measly 24AH capacity it has wasn't enough to last your three week trip out of town is just bordering on insanity.

If you aren't driving your car very often, but drive it often enough to have storage procedures be way too much of a hassle, just get a basic maintainer and plug it in when you aren't gonna drive it for a few weeks.

If it's a track car and reducing weight on the front half of the car is going to help you, and you can afford to drastically reduce your battery capacity since you aren't doing things like listening to the radio in a parking lot waiting for something, and you have a lot of money burning a hole in your pocket, then yeah. Get a lithium battery.
Im not sure if you have received a Quote on batteries lately, but I have and I have been quoted between $575 and $850 for my dealer to install with the cost of the battery itself being $385. At that price I will probably spring for the 60AH anti gravity at $850 and install my self with my Icarsoft..

Old 03-29-2023, 01:17 PM
koala
Rennlist Member

Received 536 Likes on 314 Posts

Originally Posted by NHmacan
Im not sure if you have received a Quote on batteries lately, but I have and I have been quoted between $575 and $850 for my dealer to install with the cost of the battery itself being $385. At that price I will probably spring for the 60AH anti gravity at $850 and install my self with my Icarsoft..
Energizer H6 from Costco was $229 (Canadian Pesos). Installed it myself.
Old 03-29-2023, 03:34 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by asellus
2-3 months is where I personally would consider doing some kind of storage ritual, such as unplugging the battery or hooking on a maintainer.
No choice in the matter as there was nowhere to plug-in while my daily driver was in storage for 3 full months. And I didn't disconnect the battery leads either. OK, the original and "conventional" battery had only gone through 6 full years so far, but I expected to need a boost when I got back. I was very surprised; it started as if I had driven it the day before. This battery has never been on a battery maintainer during my multi-month storage periods.

Sure, I don't expect the usual 14+ years that I got out of my past batteries, but I am sure I still have a few years left in it. And when it goes, I'll get an East Penn or a quality battery like it.

Quick Reply: New Battery