Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Battery

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2023 | 03:38 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by NHmacan
I will probably spring for the 60AH anti gravity at $850 and install my self with my Icarsoft..
It would be great if you did a video of the complete registration process with your iCarsoft from start to finish.

BTW, I would not buy a battery from Porsche or any manufacturer either as they are at least 50% more expensive.
Old 03-29-2023 | 04:19 PM
Antigravity
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Home Run
Looking for some advice on replacing my old lead acid battery with a new anti-gravity battery. Are they worth the cost? I know there is a weight saving. And the battery will go into sleep mode if the voltage drops below a certain voltage.
Hey Home Run, just wanted to chime in on your options and the actual FACTs since there is some that are not quite aware of the realities of Lithium and are not speaking accurately, but I will address those seperately.

But lets look at your problem/solutions first. You state you do not have a place to plug in for keep your car charged while out of town...

-First thing issue is to check is why you car is draining dead in a week, that usually indicates a bad battery or a high parasitic drain on a good battery. So first check your battery's condition at a local Autoparts store and see if it passes load tests, if its not that then you probably have a high parasitic drain causing it to drain the battery that fast. You should be getting about 3-4 weeks out of a fully charged stock Lead/Acid Battery in good condition in 991 provided you don't have extra accessories like Cameras, Radar detector USB Connectors or things like that. So do those checks first. You can find how to check for parastic drains on Youtube.

- If you travel and are away from your car and do not have power to plug in a charger the simplest way to deal with this to get you through additional time is to have another battery and just connect it in parallel to your existing battery, that will give your car basically twice the capacity (provided you use the same size battery) while you are on the Trip out of town and will easily last and extra few weeks if not longer... again this depends on your level of parasitic drain. But by doing this you don't need a charger during these periods, you are just upping your capacity so your car won't run down. Of course its sort of a hassle but easy with a set of alligator clips or cheap jump starter cables. Just positive to positive , Neg to negative and the batteries will basically just act as a battery larger battery during storage.

Now to talk about Antigravity Lithium vs Lead..

-The questions is not if its a better battery, it is hands down a better battery....the question is it a better value to you as an individual in your application. So that will depend on what you value in features and benefits vs the cost. So if you value the following then you would want to consider buying one.

- Built in Jump Starting so you will never be stranded. If you every drain your Antigravity battery dead accidentally you won't be stuck or having to mess around with a Jump Starter, Jumper Cable and you won't have to mess around with trying to get into the frunk through the fuse panel like you do with a Lead/Acid Battery. You won't have to look at, or touch the battery, and if it was raining you don't have to get wet or mess around. You simply press one of the two provided keyfobs start the car and drive off. If you have a wife that drives the car and the battery get drained you don't have to explain about how to jump start a car... just say press the keyfob and start the Car, no knowledge required. Thats a massive benefit no matter how you slice it.

-Longer life than lead/acid Batteries.... there is two reasons for this. The first is because you can't damage the Antigravity Lithium Battery easily like you can a Lead/Acid battery. For example the #1 cause of damaging a Lead/Acid Battery is accidentally over-discharging it. Everyone has had this scenario... you come back to a dead battery because the lights were left on, or you stored it to long and the car drained it, or you left the stereo playing while you cleaned it. So if the battery goes below 8v is starts getting damaged, and the longer its left like that the larger the damage. That damage results in dramatically reduced life, the battery won't hold a charge , and it looses alot of its power. This can't happen with our battery because it has built-in protections against OVer -Discharge. So it can't be damaged by accidentally leave it with the lights on, and it has many other protections such as short-circuit protections over-charge, over current and more. Secondly Lithium is rated at 3000 cycles... the best in lead acid is rated at about 1000 cycles. A Cycle is a full discharge and recharge of a battery... So these are Labs that show this not Antigraity.... its just and inhearant attribute to Lithium over-lead acid. So the life span will be dramatically better due to these factors.

- The lightwieght factor is a "cool" factor but is more relvant for the Performance oriented and Track guys. I rate this below the other factors that make Lithium better than Lead/Acid... its cool, but I would rather have the longer life and built-in Jump Starting since they are extremely beneficial...

So is the Cost worth it overall? Well when you wiegh the longer lifespan you will find that the cost is a wash being you will get a longer life span so the dollar per year of use can actually be lower than with a lead acid battery. But if you factor is the hassle saving features such as the built in jump starting then that get more personal. Many people love the feature and bought the battery for that. Other claim they don't need it. We a few emails a month with someone say they had to use the restart feature and it saved their butt.

What are the Negatives about Lithium...
Its buy-in cost is higher than lead acid batteries
It is not as redily available at every Autozone or Pep Boys.
It is not as good for Outdoor Cars in contantly below 20 degree Ferenhiet conditions... though it has no problem being in 20 degree temps for a week, it just not as good for a Car in MinnisotaColorado snow that is stored outside during the winter. The battery can freeze faster than Lead/Acid, but we have plenty of people in Colorado doing fine through the winters using them in daily driver trucks.

Any questions let us know.

The following users liked this post:
allen986 (03-30-2023)
Old 03-29-2023 | 05:05 PM
Antigravity
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by IXLR8
Lets see, same group size H7 and same capacity 80Ah.

$1200 vs $250 and they last just as long. What do you think? I do not need the bragging rights.
Hey IXLR8,

When you are comparing an 80Ah Antigravity Lithium Battery to and 80Ah Lead/Acid Battery, the 80Ah Lithium Battery will have almost 2x the usable energy. As an example the 80Ah Lithium Battery is roughly equivalent to a 150Ah Lead/Acid Battery. The reason for this is due to the USEABLE ENERGY of these two different battery chemistries. What you are not aware of is that LIthium offers almost two-times the usable energy as a Lead/Acid Battery of equivalent Amp Hours. For example you can only use 1/2 the rated capacity of a Lead/Acid Battery, but with a Lithium Battery you can use about 90% of it rated Capacity. So in essense a 40Ah Antigravity Lithium Battery is roughly equivalent to a 70Ah AGM Battery that comes stock in Porshes with the H6 Battery! Yet, the 40Ah Lithium will also crush the Lead/Acid in Cranking Power and the speed of the Motor turn-over....

YOu can easily fact check my statements on Google... just type in "useable energy of a lead/acid battery"

Anyway, I think people need to understand that because your post is not accurately comparing the realities and made it seem like our battery is $1200 dollar vs $250 dollars in your statement and that is extremely inaccurate because you can't compare Lithium to Lead/Acid when Lithium is giving you twice the useable energy.

Old 03-29-2023 | 05:29 PM
Antigravity
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by asellus
Not worth the cost at all IMHO. The OEM AGM battery will last just about as long, be a quarter of the price, and have two or three times the capacity.

Your car has a BMS that will start cutting electrical systems if the voltage drops too low. Having a redundant one in the battery itself is pretty overkill IMHO. Having a battery inside your battery to jump your battery when your battery dies because you didn't plug it in and the measly 24AH capacity it has wasn't enough to last your three week trip out of town is just bordering on insanity.
What you are failing to mention Asellus is that the Porshe nor any other Car offer the ability to protect the battery against overdischarging,and Lead/Acid cannot protect itself from overdischarging so people are accidentally damaging or ruining their batteries all the time just because they left the lights or some other accessory on, or stored the car to long. A simple search of "Batteries" on this form, or any other will give you literally thousand of posts about dead batteries and problems with dying batteries. It is one of the most common complaints in all of Car ownership across every forum on the internet. Yet, I note when people bring up our Antigravity product on threads you have a history off poo-pooing it with your posts. It an absolutely fantastic feature that has benefitted so many to the point that we alot of emails about how our battery saved people days be it camping, at the movies or after a long storage... no reason to put that down, alot of people benefit from it, and isn't that the point of new technology and building a better mousetrap?

Anyway, in no way am I saying its for everyone, all purchases are a personal choice, but you statements always seem to have inaccuracies like saying its a 24Ah Battery,when we offer it in many different Amp Hour options, and also bringing up that everyone should be keeping their battery on Chargers. Well, the fact is alot of the times a dead battery happens far away from home, or outside of a spot where you can easily find a Jump, yet with our battery it won't matter where you are.... you will get the start and get out of that dead battery emergncy, and if you even do it once or twice and you value your time it pays for itself in eliminating that hassle...
Old 03-29-2023 | 05:53 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Antigravity
Hey IXLR8,

When you are comparing an 80Ah Antigravity Lithium Battery to and 80Ah Lead/Acid Battery, the 80Ah Lithium Battery will have almost 2x the usable energy.
Bud, I do not need more usable energy. The Original and Stock H7 Banner battery that came in my GTS works perfectly well in my car after 8 long and full years in service and I'll probably get many more years. And if not, I'll just spend $250 and get another one like it that'll last that long again. And if they work in my car, then they must work in every other car out there.

I do not have a battery issue, so why do I need a grossly overpriced AntiGravity battery? And if I did have a battery issue, I'd fix the issue and still continue to use an AGM battery as before.

If you claim I can get 3x the life from your battery I bet you I cannot get 48 years out of one of your batteries considering I already got 16 out of a conventional \flooded lead acid battery.

And the last thing I need is a lighter battery out front to further upset an already tail heavy car.

Jeez, I got to put up with you on ADVRider and here too. Give me a bridge to jump off of.
asellus (03-30-2023)
Old 03-29-2023 | 08:02 PM
Home Run
Rennlist Member

Default New Battery

First I would like to thank everyone for their input about which battery I should buy. With such diverse opinions I'm more confused now then before, so I’ve decided to spend $851.37 including shipping for the Antigravity battery. I will see what happens once I install it. It's only money right?
Thanks again for helping me make up my mind. ​​
koala (03-30-2023)
Old 03-29-2023 | 08:09 PM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

First I would like to thank everyone for their input about which battery I should buy. With such diverse opinions I'm more confused now then before, so I’ve decided to spend $851.37 including shipping for the Antigravity battery. I will see what happens once I install it. It's only money right?
That's the spirit!
Old 03-29-2023 | 08:29 PM
PV997
Three Wheelin'

Bud, I do not need more usable energy. The Original and Stock H7 Banner battery that came in my GTS works perfectly well in my car after 8 long and full years in service and I'll probably get many more years. And if not, I'll just spend $250 and get another one like it that'll last that long again. And if they work in my car, then they must work in every other car out there.

I do not have a battery issue, so why do I need a grossly overpriced AntiGravity battery? And if I did have a battery issue, I'd fix the issue and still continue to use an AGM battery as before.

If you claim I can get 3x the life from your battery I bet you I cannot get 48 years out of one of your batteries considering I already got 16 out of a conventional \flooded lead acid battery.

And the last thing I need is a lighter battery out front to further upset an already tail heavy car.

Jeez, I got to put up with you on ADVRider and here too. Give me a bridge to jump off of.
Haha, another frugal Porsche owner (we're a rare breed it seems) who insists high costs be justified rather than just being dazzled with the latest shiny object.

Not to bag on Antigravity as I'm sure there's a niche market where they do make sense, but if something costs 4 times as much then a seller has convince us why it's at least 4x as good. Lighter I get for the track guys, but to most of us it's not much of a selling point. Longer life is good, but is it 4x longer? Not from what I can tell. Twice the useable energy means nothing to me when my battery cranks over just fine and has done so for years. 3000 vs. 1000 cycles is also meaningless as who lets their battery fully discharge that much? 1000 cycles over five years would mean I fully discharge my battery every other day. No one does that. As to the once every three or four years I actually need to jump start a car, I can by a jump pack for $100 if I'm worried about that.

Again, not to just go after Antigravity as every Porsche aftermarket vendor plays this same game. They all know many high-end car owners have more money than sense, plus we are all so used to paying the Porsche/Ferrari/Lamborghini tax that the vendors think they should get it too. But unless you are in a very special situation (e.g. a highly competitive tracker where the weight is critical) it just doesn't make financial sense IMO.
Old 03-29-2023 | 11:00 PM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

Keep us updated. I may be doing the same thing. A buddy of mine is ordering one tomorrow.
Old 03-30-2023 | 12:07 AM
asellus
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Make sure you buy the overpriced super special battery charger so your battery doesn't die.
Old 03-30-2023 | 11:09 AM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by PV997
Haha, another frugal Porsche owner (we're a rare breed it seems) who insists high costs be justified rather than just being dazzled with the latest shiny object.
Not frugal, just smart. Why would I pay more for a "specialized" battery that gives me or anyone in the real world no added benefit. My factory battery starts all my vehicles every time, I get long battery life and the list goes on. So why pay a penny more. And if owners need to replace a battery every couple of years, its probably not the battery but the owner.

And the pure BS advertizing on their sites aimed at people that know zilch about batteries such as "Low Self-Discharge" as advertized on the "benefits page". That applies to any battery that is not connected to anything such as a battery sitting on a store shelf. Unfortunately, our batteries are connected to something called a vehicle. AGM batteries also have a very low self-discharge....when not connected to anything, but who cares.

BTW, I just looked up the H7 AGM on Walmart, $170. Tough to beat, but I will likely go for an East Penn battery as I have in the past.

Look, I could go on but why rain on his parade.
Old 03-30-2023 | 11:52 AM
Home Run
Rennlist Member

Default Battery Charger

Originally Posted by asellus
Make sure you buy the overpriced super special battery charger so your battery doesn't die.
I won't need a battery charger. If the battery happens to go dead I'll just hit the over-price FOB.​​​​​​​
Old 03-30-2023 | 11:56 AM
Home Run
Rennlist Member

Default New Battery

Originally Posted by subshooter
Keep us updated. I may be doing the same thing. A buddy of mine is ordering one tomorrow.
I will, should have battery this weekend. And plan to install it myself.
Old 03-30-2023 | 12:22 PM
PV997
Three Wheelin'

Not frugal, just smart. Why would I pay more for a "specialized" battery that gives me or anyone in the real world no added benefit. My factory battery starts all my vehicles every time, I get long battery life and the list goes on. So why pay a penny more. And if owners need to replace a battery every couple of years, its probably not the battery but the owner.

And the pure BS advertizing on their sites aimed at people that know zilch about batteries such as "Low Self-Discharge" as advertized on the "benefits page". That applies to any battery that is not connected to anything such as a battery sitting on a store shelf. Unfortunately, our batteries are connected to something called a vehicle. AGM batteries also have a very low self-discharge....when not connected to anything, but who cares.

BTW, I just looked up the H7 AGM on Walmart, $170. Tough to beat, but I will likely go for an East Penn battery as I have in the past.

Look, I could go on but why rain on his parade.
I meant frugal in the sense of spending money wisely, so I think we are coming from the same place. Some people pay for $600 dealership oil changes because they believe only a Porsche-trained technician is qualified to torque a drain plug. Lots of that stuff associated with the brand unfortunately, neither smart nor frugal.
Old 03-30-2023 | 12:27 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

I won't need a battery charger. If the battery happens to go dead I'll just hit the over-price FOB.
You quoted:
​​​​​​​My work takes me out of town once a month for a week or more.
Look, your 911 and my 911 have the same parasitic drains (unless your car has an issue) and if your battery cannot start the car while being parked for up to 4 weeks (as mine sometimes is), you have a battery with no capacity and it is likely old or has been abused by some owner. I got to say one thing about Rennlist or any forum really, I get more laughs than going to Yuk Yuk's.

Quick Reply: New Battery