Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

With PSE off, do the valves open with RPM?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2023, 08:23 PM
James88
Three Wheelin'

Received 158 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by bb964
I have done this. I first had the dealer code the newly installed button with the existing non-PSE S muffler, and then installed the PSE muffler. It is a good way to make sure the coding was done correctly before disconnecting/modifying the vacuum lines to the PSE muffler. With open valves at lower RPM's you can definitely hear the difference in sound even with the standard muffler
Thanks !!
How would you compare the sound with the 2 different mufflers with button on all the time?
The following users liked this post:
tilac999 (03-18-2023)
Old 03-18-2023, 05:23 AM
tilac999
Pro

Received 34 Likes on 16 Posts

I have done this. I first had the dealer code the newly installed button with the existing non-PSE S muffler, and then installed the PSE muffler. It is a good way to make sure the coding was done correctly before disconnecting/modifying the vacuum lines to the PSE muffler. With open valves at lower RPM's you can definitely hear the difference in sound even with the standard muffler
So there's already wiring (for the button) in place on a non-PSE car? Just buy the button, plug it into the wiring harness and have the dealer code it? Sounds too easy.
Old 03-18-2023, 06:27 AM
Catharpin
Burning Brakes

Received 555 Likes on 294 Posts

Originally Posted by tilac999
So there's already wiring (for the button) in place on a non-PSE car? Just buy the button, plug it into the wiring harness and have the dealer code it? Sounds too easy.
You can't just buy the button. You have to buy the whole switch kit for $200+
Old 03-18-2023, 07:35 AM
tilac999
Pro

Received 34 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Catharpin
You can't just buy the button. You have to buy the whole switch kit for $200+
Roger that. But the wiring is there on an S?
Thanks.
Old 03-18-2023, 10:08 AM
bb964
Rennlist Member

Received 325 Likes on 200 Posts

Originally Posted by tilac999
Roger that. But the wiring is there on an S?
Thanks.
Yes, but only in the S, non S doesn't have the Change Over Valve/vacuum lines to control the muffler valves.

Last edited by bb964; 03-18-2023 at 10:31 AM.
Old 03-18-2023, 10:16 AM
bb964
Rennlist Member

Received 325 Likes on 200 Posts

Originally Posted by James88
Thanks !!
How would you compare the sound with the 2 different mufflers with button on all the time?
You can definitely hear the difference, it's louder, but the sound is not as deep, different tone. If you are planning to install the PSE, installing/coding just the button is a good way to start.
Also, I know someone who installed just the button and was happy for a long while until eventually added the PSE muffler.
The following users liked this post:
James88 (03-18-2023)
Old 03-18-2023, 04:00 PM
James88
Three Wheelin'

Received 158 Likes on 99 Posts

You can definitely hear the difference, it's louder, but the sound is not as deep, different tone. If you are planning to install the PSE, installing/coding just the button is a good way to start.
Also, I know someone who installed just the button and was happy for a long while until eventually added the PSE muffler.
Thank you.
I'm also considering just plugging up the vaccume lines, so it's louder all the time. Has anyone tried this, will it create too much drone at cruising speed?
​​​​
Old 03-18-2023, 07:40 PM
BlackBear
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

I can't find the coding for the valve switch in PIWIS 3. I looked in the Gateway, the Headunit, and the A/C module.

Where do I change the coding for this switch?
Old 03-19-2023, 08:53 AM
Catharpin
Burning Brakes

Received 555 Likes on 294 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackBear
I can't find the coding for the valve switch in PIWIS 3. I looked in the Gateway, the Headunit, and the A/C module.

Where do I change the coding for this switch?
Code keypad assignment.
5.1.1 Select Air conditioning in the control unit overview. Press •F12“ to continue.
5.1.2 Once the control unit search is complete, select 2-zone air conditioning control
unit. Switch to the Codings/adaptations menu. Press •F12“ to continue.
5.1.3 Select Customer-specific settings in the Codings/adaptations menu. Press
•F12“ to continue.
5.1.4 Select the coding value Keypad assignment. Press •F12“ to continue.
5.1.5 Set the first coding value of Keypad assignment right to the value Not
assigned. Select Sports exhaust system in the drop-down menu. Press •F8“
to continue.
5.1.6 The message “Coding has been written successfully” is displayed and a tick
appears in the Changes cell.
5.1.7 Press •F11“ to switch to the control unit overview.
5.2 Maintenance of vehicle data
5.2.1 Select Additional menu by pressing •F7“.
5.2.2 Select the Maintenance of vehicle data function. Press •F12“ until M
numbers appears in the Value group column.
5.2.3 Select 176 - Sports exhaust system in the Coding value column. When you
touch the Installed cell, a tick appears.
5.2.4 Save the values by pressing •F8“. Wait until the message Modified values have
been buffered appears.
5.2.5 Press •F12“ until •F8“ can be activated.
5.2.6 Press •F8“ to write values. Wait until the message Generation of vehicle data
is complete appears.
5.2.7 Press •F12“ to switch to Log management. Open the log by pressing •F10“ and
check that vehicle equipment 176 Sports exhaust system is displayed.

5.3 Adapt coding.
5.3.1 Press •F11“ to return to the list of control units.
Select all control units.
5.3.2 Switch to the Codings/adaptations menu.
Select Automatic coding. Press •F12“ to continue.
Wait until the message Coding has been completed successfully appears.
Press •F12“ to continue.

5.4 Once coding is complete, read out the fault memories of all systems, work through any
existing faults and erase the fault memories. ⇒ Workshop Manual ’033500 Fault memory
for on-board diagnosis’
5.5 Carry out “Sports exhaust system” function test.
The exhaust flaps open when you press the "Twin tailpipe" button. The noise of the exhaust
motor can be heard.
5.6 Disconnect battery charger. ⇒ Workshop Manual ’2X00IN Battery trickle charging’
The following 2 users liked this post by Catharpin:
BlackBear (11-02-2023), yoshiokyoto (03-19-2023)
Old 11-02-2023, 10:46 AM
head1
Intermediate

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts

Does the valves shut on and off even when the PSE button is activated? For example open on idle then close when you drive away and then open up again over 3000 rpm?
Old 11-02-2023, 10:53 AM
RP4S911
Pro

Received 581 Likes on 294 Posts

Originally Posted by head1
Does the valves shut on and off even when the PSE button is activated? For example open on idle then close when you drive away and then open up again over 3000 rpm?
No. When the PSE is off (light off) the valves are closed, and will open and close automatically once you hit that 3k +/- mark. If the PSE button is on, then the valves open and stay open below that 3k mark. Essentially it just opens the valves and keeps them open at all times.
Old 11-02-2023, 10:55 AM
head1
Intermediate

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts

So why can you buy a cargraphic valve controller for the 991.2 GTS?
Old 11-02-2023, 11:11 AM
RP4S911
Pro

Originally Posted by head1
So why can you buy a cargraphic valve controller for the 991.2 GTS?
That's an aftermarket valve controller to work with cars that already have PSE. The Cargraphic controller allows the PSE to be 100% completely open all the time. PSE on the 991.2 GTS, with the PSE button on/open will open the valves when the car is under that 3k mark, but it fluctuates in the amount it's open depending on a couple things. For example, I believe even with PSE open, when the car is parked and at idle, it's only open 20% verses being completely shut with PSE closed... the Cargraphic controller makes the PSE open 100% even at idle, like it would at higher rpm's. All that does is a little more noise when you don't need it.

It's more of a starting point to give even more grunty noise with the oem setup, before going aftermarket.

Last edited by RP4S911; 11-02-2023 at 11:14 AM.
Old 11-02-2023, 10:35 PM
Swooop
5th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey all! First post! New to porsche, new to me 991.1 4S cab. When I turn it on, I immediately go into sport mode, mostly for the sound. What I hear, for the first time after all this lurking, is that a button will open the valves with the stock 'S' exhaust. Makes total sense now that I think about it. Not ready to go to the full PSE setup, but would love to semi-permanantly keep the valves open at all times without even a button. I believe I can pop off the valve hoses and plug it BUT - can I do something with the wiring without installing a switch? Like ground the PSE wiring to fool it into thinking the switch is pressed? Let's call it a poor man's version of PSE. If not, maybe buying the switch is easier then pulling the vacuum lines. Hmmm.... Not sure.
Old 11-03-2023, 10:05 AM
RP4S911
Pro

Originally Posted by Swooop
Hey all! First post! New to porsche, new to me 991.1 4S cab. When I turn it on, I immediately go into sport mode, mostly for the sound. What I hear, for the first time after all this lurking, is that a button will open the valves with the stock 'S' exhaust. Makes total sense now that I think about it. Not ready to go to the full PSE setup, but would love to semi-permanantly keep the valves open at all times without even a button. I believe I can pop off the valve hoses and plug it BUT - can I do something with the wiring without installing a switch? Like ground the PSE wiring to fool it into thinking the switch is pressed? Let's call it a poor man's version of PSE. If not, maybe buying the switch is easier then pulling the vacuum lines. Hmmm.... Not sure.
I think the vacuum lines to the valves keep the valves shut, which would mean that removing the lines to the valves would leave them in the resting open position. Can anyone confirm that?

Quick Reply: With PSE off, do the valves open with RPM?