Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thoughts on these service requirements / reccos?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2023, 11:09 AM
Seth K
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Thoughts on these service requirements / reccos?

Hello all. I just had my engine Light come on Yellow. Big scary looking thing. LOL I did some reading but it seems my issue was related to a gas cap seal. I brought it to a mechanic that I kinda know and kinda like and he ordered me a new gas cap. It is to be installed today. Fingers crossed that the 20 or so faults that are coming along with this problem will now go away. The question is that "while the car was there" he also is now recommending the following along with the following prices. Prices include tax and Labor. The car is a 2017 Carrera 991.2 GTS with 19400 miles. Can I please get some thoughts on the following?

Air filter $648.00
Cabin filter $199 (side note, I did some searching are there not two? one in the frunk? I need to ask if he means both or even knows about both)
spark plugs $860.00
Break flush $190.00
Also,, I'm needing to replace the tires. What is a decent price for mounting and balancing tires? I'm getting them from The Tire Rack but he went into a whole song and dance about high performance tires and how it takes two guys to put them on etc etc etc. didn't even give me a price on that yet. Sounded like alot of talk to me. I know the car has center lock wheels, but come on, you either work on Porsches or you don't . Based on the responses I get here, I'll either let him do the work or pull the car after he gets the engine light off and bring it to someone more specialized. Appreciate the help. Thanks much!
Skana
Old 01-11-2023, 11:29 AM
Tier1Terrier
Rennlist Member

Received 1,023 Likes on 511 Posts

Given the age of your car (irrespective of the mileage), if the following things have never been done, then they are certainly due, if not past due:
Air filter
Cabin Filter - This is as simple a DIY as you can get.
Spark Plugs - Every 4 years or 30k miles, whichever comes first
Break Flush - Should be done every 2 years

"he went into a whole song and dance about high performance tires and how it takes two guys to put them on etc etc etc" - That's BS. I purchased mine and had them mounted, balanced, and perfectly installed by a mobile installer right in my driveway.

The prices he's quoted you are reasonable for dealer pricing but a little high for an indy.

The only other thing you might be missing is serpentine belt which will be due at 6 years (which depending on your car's in-service date might be coming up soon).
The following users liked this post:
Seth K (01-11-2023)
Old 01-11-2023, 11:38 AM
Seth K
Intermediate

Appreciate the response and advice! Nice car! ;-)
Old 01-11-2023, 12:24 PM
asellus
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,117 Likes on 1,320 Posts

Those prices seem pretty steep to me. Assuming $220/hr labor, the markup on the parts is still pretty high. The filter is 2.2 hours of book time, and the plugs are 2.3 hours of book time.
Seth K (01-13-2023)
Old 01-11-2023, 12:34 PM
blepski
Instructor

Received 148 Likes on 61 Posts

Prices all seem reasonable to me assuming that you trust the shop and believe that they will do everything correctly and to your satisfaction which is worth significantly more than a few bucks one way or the other.
Seth K (01-13-2023)
Old 01-11-2023, 01:21 PM
spyderbret
Rennlist Member

Received 666 Likes on 294 Posts

Prices seem a little high but not bad. Centerlock wheels are a different thing. Make sure you use someone who knows the procedure. A good Porsche indy should know how to do that so I have some hesitation regarding that shop. Personal opinion.
Old 01-11-2023, 01:46 PM
RP4S911
Pro

Received 584 Likes on 296 Posts

All that and nothing solved the actual CEL.
I had a CEL for something very similar "Very Small Evap Leak" and ended up just being a small valve near the gas vapor canister next to the battery. I also tried the gas cover first and it came back. I took it off and cleaned it and it fixed the issue 100%. Was around $130 and took literally 30seconds to unscrew and screw back in so I just ordered a new one just in case. Been over a year and never had an issue again. I still have it and can send it to you if you find that's the issue.
Seth K (01-13-2023)
Old 01-12-2023, 03:21 AM
regajohn
Racer

Received 82 Likes on 67 Posts

I had my major done a year ago (14 S cab) and it included oil change, spark plug change, engine air filter, cabin air filter, serpentine belt, yada yada yada (everything else that’s in the maintenance guide … the bi-annual brake fluid change had been done the prior year) and the total was $1,190 before tax.

besides being in your maintenance manual, the dashboard should this display when you have service coming up (whether it be an intermediate or a major).

Last edited by regajohn; 01-12-2023 at 03:28 AM.
Seth K (01-13-2023)
Old 01-12-2023, 07:40 AM
vanlieremead
Rennlist Member

Received 309 Likes on 212 Posts

First of all, with the recent bout of inflation, dealers are now around 300/hour.

Totally agree to get the major inspection. Do you have other records? For example, brake flush every 2 years, especially in Florida. Plugs and major ever 4 on a 991.2. Two air filters, one in frunk on pass side and one in pass foot well up. Cost of a major dealer service will be around 2200 out the door. Tires should be changed as well. Costco has good deals on Michelin P4S. You want a summer tire unless you plan to take the car out of state.

Good luck.
Old 01-12-2023, 08:32 AM
Pakman996-991.2
Instructor

Received 127 Likes on 73 Posts

Just got quoted the following from my local stealership:Fan/Drive belt replacement $475
Spark plug replacement $935
Brake flush $269
Rear pads & rotors $1,935

I’ll let you know what my Indy shop charges
Seth K (01-13-2023)
Old 01-12-2023, 09:32 AM
Bud Taylor
Drifting

Received 445 Likes on 318 Posts
Default 648 for an air filter

I would walk. That is a 30min job max and the part with an uograde is $70.

Originally Posted by Seth K
Hello all. I just had my engine Light come on Yellow. Big scary looking thing. LOL I did some reading but it seems my issue was related to a gas cap seal. I brought it to a mechanic that I kinda know and kinda like and he ordered me a new gas cap. It is to be installed today. Fingers crossed that the 20 or so faults that are coming along with this problem will now go away. The question is that "while the car was there" he also is now recommending the following along with the following prices. Prices include tax and Labor. The car is a 2017 Carrera 991.2 GTS with 19400 miles. Can I please get some thoughts on the following?

Air filter $648.00
Cabin filter $199 (side note, I did some searching are there not two? one in the frunk? I need to ask if he means both or even knows about both)
spark plugs $860.00
Break flush $190.00
Also,, I'm needing to replace the tires. What is a decent price for mounting and balancing tires? I'm getting them from The Tire Rack but he went into a whole song and dance about high performance tires and how it takes two guys to put them on etc etc etc. didn't even give me a price on that yet. Sounded like alot of talk to me. I know the car has center lock wheels, but come on, you either work on Porsches or you don't . Based on the responses I get here, I'll either let him do the work or pull the car after he gets the engine light off and bring it to someone more specialized. Appreciate the help. Thanks much!
Skana
Seth K (01-13-2023)
Old 01-12-2023, 10:27 AM
regajohn
Racer

Received 82 Likes on 67 Posts

As an update, when I had my brake fluid flushed/changed this year it was $180 for labor (but that also included rebalancing of all four wheels/tires) plus $33.75 for the brake fluid
Seth K (01-13-2023)
Old 01-12-2023, 10:37 AM
Clark-ApexPerformance
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 71 Likes on 46 Posts
Default advice

Go to SodiKart in Boyton Beach...owned b y Peter Bekkers who lives iin DEl Ray. I am sure he would be glad to give you good advice. He is Trakcar on Rennlist. If you need any brake info ask me.

ApexPerformance.net
Premier Racing Outfitters

Toll free: 866-505-2739
Direct: 843-299-0997
EM: chamerly@apexperformance.net
www.apexperformance.net

Save 10% on your next order over $75 on most items- enter Promocode Rennlist-10 on your next order or mention Rennlist during your phone order.

PCA Club Racing - National Sponsor
Old 01-13-2023, 08:42 AM
Seth K
Intermediate

Originally Posted by vanlieremead
First of all, with the recent bout of inflation, dealers are now around 300/hour.

Totally agree to get the major inspection. Do you have other records? For example, brake flush every 2 years, especially in Florida. Plugs and major ever 4 on a 991.2. Two air filters, one in frunk on pass side and one in pass foot well up. Cost of a major dealer service will be around 2200 out the door. Tires should be changed as well. Costco has good deals on Michelin P4S. You want a summer tire unless you plan to take the car out of state.

Good luck.
All good advice. Thanks!
Old 01-13-2023, 08:48 AM
Seth K
Intermediate

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Clark-ApexPerformance
Go to SodiKart in Boyton Beach...owned b y Peter Bekkers who lives iin DEl Ray. I am sure he would be glad to give you good advice. He is Trakcar on Rennlist. If you need any brake info ask me.
THANKS!!! :-)

Quick Reply: Thoughts on these service requirements / reccos?