Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cheapest way to get replacement key?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2023, 08:51 PM
BlackBear
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Cheapest way to get replacement key?

Don't say dealer!

Ebay keys are cheap, $25. Some feedback says that the Porsche dealer and independant lock smith could not program them.

Others who bought them did not mention problems.

Dealer price is INSANE at $360 + programming.

Who has used the ebay keys and can report back?
Old 01-10-2023, 10:31 PM
asellus
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,113 Likes on 1,318 Posts

entry+drive?
Old 01-10-2023, 10:34 PM
BlackBear
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by asellus
entry+drive?
Yes.
Old 01-11-2023, 03:14 AM
Joec500
Rennlist Member

Received 1,025 Likes on 610 Posts

All the ebay keys have other car's ID stored on them, they need to be wiped and to my knowledge the dealer cannot do this and it makes sense that Porsche does't give them the tools to perform that.

You need to gain access to the circuit board of your ebay key and wipe it via a probe directly to the circuit board using a hacking device. My guess is you will also probably need a key that was once married to a entry and drive car.

I went deep down this rabbit hole. If you only need one key it's probably more cost effective to go to a dealer, as acquiring these tools is pretty pricey.

Here is how he programs them with all his specialized hardware:

$360 is not that crazy considering they charge that much for just an oil change LOL .

You might be able to find a local vendor that does this though. But you will have to take apart your dash to pull out your BCM so they can clone it with their hacking tools. NOT WORTH $360 me due to all the time and risk of breaking stuff.

Last edited by Joec500; 01-11-2023 at 03:22 AM.
Old 01-11-2023, 06:07 PM
barncobob
Rennlist Member

Received 748 Likes on 460 Posts

bite the bullet,its the porsche tax
The following users liked this post:
Highline-Autos.com (01-11-2023)
Old 01-11-2023, 07:30 PM
BlackBear
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Joec500
All the ebay keys have other car's ID stored on them, they need to be wiped and to my knowledge the dealer cannot do this and it makes sense that Porsche does't give them the tools to perform that.

You need to gain access to the circuit board of your ebay key and wipe it via a probe directly to the circuit board using a hacking device. My guess is you will also probably need a key that was once married to a entry and drive car.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gAjn3auWFDs

I went deep down this rabbit hole. If you only need one key it's probably more cost effective to go to a dealer, as acquiring these tools is pretty pricey.

Here is how he programs them with all his specialized hardware:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6lYURAIYG44

$360 is not that crazy considering they charge that much for just an oil change LOL .

You might be able to find a local vendor that does this though. But you will have to take apart your dash to pull out your BCM so they can clone it with their hacking tools. NOT WORTH $360 me due to all the time and risk of breaking stuff.

Do you know anyone where this process with these two tools worked?
Old 01-12-2023, 03:29 AM
Joec500
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by BlackBear
Do you know anyone where this process with these two tools worked?
Nope. I’d rather just pay the $360 then buy a key and risk damaging your BCM with that Hacky method. My guess is they will charge at leaR $100 to perform that service. Just not worth it imo. But money is money and times are tough
Old 01-12-2023, 05:10 AM
BlackBear
Rennlist Member

Nope. I’d rather just pay the $360 then buy a key and risk damaging your BCM with that Hacky method. My guess is they will charge at leaR $100 to perform that service. Just not worth it imo. But money is money and times are tough
The guy in the video is using an outdated method that requires the FRONT BDC to come out from under the dash.

I found a local guy in Los Angeles who has equipment that codes a China replica key to the car through the OBD 2 port. Very resonably priced and he comes to me.

I'll report back how it went.

Old 01-12-2023, 01:45 PM
Joec500
Rennlist Member

The guy in the video is using an outdated method that requires the FRONT BDC to come out from under the dash.

I found a local guy in Los Angeles who has equipment that codes a China replica key to the car through the OBD 2 port. Very resonably priced and he comes to me.

I'll report back how it went.
Please do.... I am in LA too and knowing I can get a new key without disassembly would be nice.
Old 01-12-2023, 11:40 PM
ferik
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 13 Posts

I have a key left from my 991.2 that I sold a couple of years ago. You’re welcome to it for shipping cost.
Old 01-13-2023, 02:25 PM
BlackBear
Rennlist Member

The biggest issue is not the $360, not even the additional $300 service charges to code the key to the car for a total of $660 plus tax.

The gigangtic problem is that Porsche tells you when you are standing there showing your title and ID with a credit card to PRE-pay for the key that is takes up to THREE MONTHS to get the key.

Yes, not three days, not three weeks, up to THREE MONTHS.

I needed a much faster solution.
midwstCostofLivg (05-22-2023)
Old 01-13-2023, 02:31 PM
Rudyr
Instructor

Received 63 Likes on 34 Posts

My dealer claimed that the key supplier was based in the Ukraine. No idea if that's really the case, but that was the story given to me when he warned me to "never lose my keys".
Old 01-13-2023, 03:37 PM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,219 Likes on 737 Posts

Originally Posted by Rudyr
My dealer claimed that the key supplier was based in the Ukraine. No idea if that's really the case, but that was the story given to me when he warned me to "never lose my keys".
It may be true. I have heard many of the car chips come from ukraine
DarienA (01-14-2023)
Old 01-13-2023, 06:52 PM
Joec500
Rennlist Member

The biggest issue is not the $360, not even the additional $300 service charges to code the key to the car for a total of $660 plus tax.

The gigangtic problem is that Porsche tells you when you are standing there showing your title and ID with a credit card to PRE-pay for the key that is takes up to THREE MONTHS to get the key.

That makes sense. Def get that process going before you lose that last key assuming you only have one. LOL
Old 01-13-2023, 10:02 PM
SConn
Drifting

Received 976 Likes on 580 Posts

Huh...I just ordered an extra key back in October and got it in about 2 weeks. Ordered through Sunset Porsche Beaverton.
I had heard the same thing and was expecting a long wait. But nope!
PathfinderGTS (03-10-2023)

Quick Reply: Cheapest way to get replacement key?