Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A quick 3700 dollars

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2023 | 10:33 AM
barncobob
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DC911S
At 60 I plan on keeping this one a long time, so when I’m dead and it’s part of my estate the executor can worry about what Carfax says.
Amen brother, im 74 and could care less about resale value, let my kids worry about that,,im driving the wheels off it..
The following 2 users liked this post by barncobob:
jbendaou (01-01-2023), TXGerman (01-02-2023)
Old 01-01-2023 | 11:19 AM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by 911dude41
Man, I hate that so much. It happens and has happened to me more than a handful of times. The 911 is supposed to be the "low key" variant of the high-end or whatever you want to call it cars. I can take things like a champ but when it comes to my cars I get irritated not being able to relax sometimes. So sorry that happened to you. People suck. This is THE defining reason I don't own an F car or a Lambo. The attention and the target. I envy those who can get past the mental hurdle... Then again 90% of those people use them as point A to A cars.

The 911 has a low profile. Especially the front end. I can see how a lifted truck missed your car in their mirror.

Best bet is to park far and away. Spots on the corners or edges work well. Even analyzing the types of cars in the vicinity can help too.

Even if you catch them and make a police or insurance claim, it's going on your carfax. On a small claim like yours, chasing diminished value won't get you squat. Lose lose lose situation. You get no sympathy because of the car you're driving.

Always remember. Most of the time people have an F-U attitude when they see your car.

Good luck.
Think it has to do less with the car than not taking responsibility in general. If it was a truck that did the damage, they were probably low waged workers, who, if they reported it, might have lost their jobs as the insurance payout would have been big. If it was a Chevy or Infiniti, they probably would not have stuck around or reported it either. I venture to say that they probably felt worse hitting the Porsche than they would have felt if they hit a Chevy.
Old 01-02-2023 | 11:46 AM
RennListUser01
Pro

911dude41,

Your concept of pay for not reporting by a shop seems dishonest and unethical - would you want to buy a car with your concept as the new "standard?"
Old 01-02-2023 | 01:30 PM
HardRider
Racer

Originally Posted by RennListUser01
911dude41,

Your concept of pay for not reporting by a shop seems dishonest and unethical - would you want to buy a car with your concept as the new "standard?"
His environment shapes him. It is well known a Carfax report that shows accident will cause 48% of people to not look at the car. On the flip side just because Carfax doesn't show an accident doesn't mean there hasn't been one. Its loose loose. Carfax uses unaudited police reports not even admissible in court and considered hearsay for the basis of their entire business model. Carfax has also programmed the public accident is synonomous with damage and results in $8-10K diminished value easily on a Porsche. Even if you vehicle suffered zero damage and carfax incorrectly shows an accident you will suffer up to 40% loss in value depending on year and car. Sure you can get it corrected be ready to go to court which is what I always do...
The following 2 users liked this post by HardRider:
911dude41 (01-02-2023), jbendaou (01-02-2023)
Old 01-02-2023 | 01:38 PM
GTS99ONE
Instructor

Originally Posted by NCheok
+1 | Buy a BlackVue DR900X-2CH that has 4K front and 1080p rear recording coupled with their external battery that you stick it in the glovebox will power the dashcam whilst charging itself from the passenger side 12V socket.

No hardwiring, no fuss. Only thing you need to do is tuck the wires nicely.
how difficult is the install for a complete beginner? You mention hiding the wires…how do you get under the carpet etc to run the wiring from front to back? Appreciate any guidance or YouTube videos you’ve found helpful! I really want to do this.
The following users liked this post:
jbendaou (01-02-2023)
Old 01-02-2023 | 04:57 PM
911dude41
Drifting

911dude41,

Were talking about a damaged headlight here. Not a total loss. How would one feel if their car suddenly became devalued by 10-20% and the car became nearly unsellable? Over a damaged headlight or a stone that shattered your sunroof with no body/paint damage? Sorry, not sorry. That's bogus.

I didnt say pay for them not to report. I said no business done IF they report. Shops, insurance companies, and police department all sell this information to Carfax for profit, not because they're ethical and care about the next guy. Carfax then sells that information also for profit.

Unethical? Come on..

Originally Posted by HardRider
His environment shapes him. It is well known a Carfax report that shows accident will cause 48% of people to not look at the car. On the flip side just because Carfax doesn't show an accident doesn't mean there hasn't been one. Its loose loose. Carfax uses unaudited police reports not even admissible in court and considered hearsay for the basis of their entire business model. Carfax has also programmed the public accident is synonomous with damage and results in $8-10K diminished value easily on a Porsche. Even if you vehicle suffered zero damage and carfax incorrectly shows an accident you will suffer up to 40% loss in value depending on year and car. Sure you can get it corrected be ready to go to court which is what I always do...
Bingo.. I've been a victim of Carfax. Going to shoot you a PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by 911dude41:
jbendaou (01-02-2023), SConn (01-02-2023)
Old 01-02-2023 | 05:08 PM
slingshot60
Rennlist Member

If there's body damage and repairs are necessary... it should be reported. If it's a busted headlight and nothing else it should absolutely not be reported. Having a hit on your Carfax report with run off half your potential buyers and realistically drop your resale value by at least 10%. For a busted headlight without body damage? Complete B.S. but that's just the way it is...
911dude41 (01-02-2023)
Old 01-02-2023 | 05:45 PM
HardRider
Racer

Originally Posted by 911dude41
Were talking about a damaged headlight here. Not a total loss. How would one feel if their car suddenly became devalued by 10-20% and the car became nearly unsellable? Over a damaged headlight or a stone that shattered your sunroof with no body/paint damage? Sorry, not sorry. That's bogus.

I didnt say pay for them not to report. I said no business done IF they report. Shops, insurance companies, and police department all sell this information to Carfax for profit, not because they're ethical and care about the next guy. Carfax then sells that information also for profit.

Unethical? Come on..

Bingo.. I've been a victim of Carfax. Going to shoot you a PM.

YOU ARE WRONG, NOBODY SALES ANYTHING TO CARFAX. Insurance companies hate Carfax, shops don't benefit from Carfax. CARFAX uses public information "hearsay police reports" for 99% of their data base. IF YOU BUY A CARFAX REPORT AND it shows no accidents and it is later determined there has been an accident they are absolved of any responsibility. You check that little box when you buy the report. I never paid for Carfax to represent any of my vehicles. I would love to see an agreement between Carfax and the municipalities roflmfao. AutoCheck is also out there. Once you beat one in court the others coward quickly although I wish they wouldnt I take them in front of same judge. I PM my phone number. Isn't it cute how Carfax just changes the details of the incident on their own without an amended police report. BINGO you just won your case....

Last edited by HardRider; 01-02-2023 at 05:47 PM.
Old 01-02-2023 | 05:48 PM
jbendaou
Instructor

You will have two kind of people who believe you are right and some who believe you are wrong.

if replacing the headlight and requires no other work then go for it and make sure it’s not reported.
For this kind of fix/damage, I’d rather not know about it.
Old 01-02-2023 | 05:55 PM
HardRider
Racer

As far as right and wrong crap. What is right is getting the car repaired correctly, period. The next important thing is keeping the most money in your pocket. What the difference between replacing a headlight or a wheel. Do you report a damaged wheel.... If the damaged component is completely replaced correctly then there is no damage to report. Should I report when I loose a lug nut and need to replace it.
The following 2 users liked this post by HardRider:
jbendaou (01-02-2023), slingshot60 (01-02-2023)
Old 01-02-2023 | 08:33 PM
NCheok
Rennlist Member

Arrow

Originally Posted by GTS99ONE
how difficult is the install for a complete beginner? You mention hiding the wires.
It's very simple, the only thing stopping people from DIY and having a professional installer is the lack of patience.

In fact, I prefer to DIY as I don't want a professional pulling out trim, loosening things unnecessarily.

You get a pry tool that comes with each kit (I don't even need to use it, just use my fingers and a credit card to tuck wires gently with plenty of patience), you use that to gently tuck the wiring into gaps from the edge of trim that all can be lifted with light finger strength. There is no need to go under the carpet or pull any trim apart in a 991, only lifting.
, don't watch earlier as those steps are not applicable and not how I would setup a BlackVue.

Pretty self-explanatory when you also get the BlackVue external battery pack that you stick inside the glovebox. Everything is just connecting things up, there is no splicing of wires, no hardwiring to fuses, no permanent nonsense.
jbendaou (01-02-2023)
Old 01-03-2023 | 08:50 AM
AdamSanta85
Rennlist Member

911dude41,

There is no requirement whatsoever for a shop to report to carfax. It’s his car, his choice.
Old 01-03-2023 | 10:18 AM
jbendaou
Instructor

I don’t think that’s how it works. They automatically report and give you no option to opt in or opt out.
Old 01-03-2023 | 10:20 AM
Pb Pedis
Rennlist Member

The insurance claim for this minor damage in a parking lot could be pointless too, depending on the laws of your State, even if the other driver had stayed to accept responsibility. The headlight damage is more than likely considered minor damage - diminished value claims notwithstanding. In Florida, which is a no-fault state, each driver's own insurance is responsible for minor damage in parking lots regardless of fault and more significant factors (e.g. intentional damage, impaired driver, bodily injury, etc) would have to be present before the at fault party's policy would respond to a parking lot claim. This is another reason why I would just buy a new headlight, take it to a friendly shop for replacement and move on - it's not worth the insult to injury that comes from filing a claim on my own policy that would lead to diminished value.

Last edited by Pb Pedis; 01-03-2023 at 10:22 AM.
Old 01-03-2023 | 10:52 AM
HardRider
Racer

Again carfax uses public information for their data base. They pay nobody. 99% is Police Reports. If a shop were to report repairs to Carfax I would pursue diminished value from shop. Bingo, why would a shop want to risk any heartburn from a customer. The shop MAKES ZERO for reporting anything. Automatically report?????? Is that state or federal law??????

Quick Reply: A quick 3700 dollars