Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

991 Front License Plate Mount

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2022, 12:08 PM
Fbrooksr
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

OK... off topic! But, how do I get my new avatar flipped over? I've tried changing the source photo, but no joy! Thanks in advance!
Old 12-22-2022, 12:15 PM
iguana
Advanced

Received 52 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Explorer16
The tow hook receiver mounted holder is for folks who temporarily need a license plate in the front. I only use mine to cross the border to Canada. I remove it as soon as I'm back in the states. I prefer the clean look.
You needn't bother mounting the front plate just to enter Canada. Rear plate is sufficient.
Old 12-22-2022, 01:19 PM
Explorer16
Instructor

Received 100 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by iguana
You needn't bother mounting the front plate just to enter Canada. Rear plate is sufficient.
Thanks for the info. That's good to know. I only assumed you need the front plates to enter Canada based on my experience from a while back.
Old 12-23-2022, 03:39 PM
iguana
Advanced

Received 52 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Explorer16
Thanks for the info. That's good to know. I only assumed you need the front plates to enter Canada based on my experience from a while back.
There may be an odd border agent who gets huffy about it, but CBSA isn't in the business of enforcing vehicle codes. Only 3 of the 10 provinces in Canada still issue front plates (BC, Ontario and Manitoba), and many US states don't. And motorcycles never do. Afaik, all border crossings now have rear-plate cameras, so reading plates is not an issue.

One data point - I live in BC, which does require front plates. Never installed them on my wife's Macan. Went down to the US in October, came back in November at BC crossing. Zero comment on the lack of front plate.
Old 12-25-2022, 11:09 PM
cicsprog
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I have a tow hook lic holder. Keep it in the box with the lic plate in the ftrunk. So when I get pulled over I say “just got the holder this week officer”.
Old 12-26-2022, 05:31 AM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,176 Likes on 708 Posts

Originally Posted by cicsprog
I have a tow hook lic holder. Keep it in the box with the lic plate in the ftrunk. So when I get pulled over I say “just got the holder this week officer”.
Good luck. That line did not work for me, hopefully it works for you.
The following 2 users liked this post by Porsche_nuts:
jbendaou (12-26-2022), shammerman (12-26-2022)
Old 12-26-2022, 08:47 PM
Wujohn
Rennlist Member

Received 425 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by Fbrooksr
Don't drill holes! Anywhere! Have a trusted shop remove your bumper and glue rare earth magnets in the proper locations. Then, do the same with the Porsche furnished tag mount. Then you can pop it on and off as needed (when washing, transiting borders, etc.). I did this when I lived in MD and had to have a front tag. No holes!

Great tech in Cockeysville, MD finishing the job!
I also recommend the magnet method - I did it in about 90 minutes start to finish, and I was going slow. Pulling the bumper is very easy, there are a few threads on here that give the walkthrough.
Old 07-08-2024, 06:47 PM
yamsta
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Fbrooksr
Don't drill holes! Anywhere! Have a trusted shop remove your bumper and glue rare earth magnets in the proper locations. Then, do the same with the Porsche furnished tag mount. Then you can pop it on and off as needed (when washing, transiting borders, etc.). I did this when I lived in MD and had to have a front tag. No holes!

Great tech in Cockeysville, MD finishing the job!
Hey, do you mind sharing the information of the tech in Cockeysville, please? Thanks!
Old 07-09-2024, 03:38 AM
Fbrooksr
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Front Plate Solution

Originally Posted by yamsta
Hey, do you mind sharing the information of the tech in Cockeysville, please? Thanks!
Justin Wit at Eurostar Performance in Cockeysville, MD. His shop and the cars he services there will blow your mind. He and I came up with this solution. Tell him what you want. He’ll know it.
The following users liked this post:
yamsta (07-09-2024)

Quick Reply: 991 Front License Plate Mount