Sponsored by:

PSE Install - exhaust not switching over

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2022, 03:48 PM
dannyk304
Instructor

Received 75 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by VII7
I'm not there and someone already posted about a defective ECU but it sounds to me like you are plugged into the wrong terminal or wired ground and ground.
If you hear a clicking this is likely a relay switching so identify which relay this is, check output for power and make sure you are plugged in there.

Also remember the switching is done towards ground so 12 should be supplied continuously from fuse box.
Do you have 12V supplied if you measure against a ground point?
​​​​​​
Thanks. I'm pretty certain I've wired it correctly at this point. The clicking comes from the PSE COV when I push the button, it's getting a signal. I will pull off the vacuum line at the muffler point and check if any vacuum is forming in the line to rule out faulty valves/actuators (again, they're brand new so I expect they're fine, but process of elimination.) I may have to check with the Porsche tech who programmed it and see if maybe there's something he missed in programming, or if he has any other idea. My gut is telling me that the COV is just not switching over, it's getting a signal but just not the right one, or enough of it.
Old 12-21-2022, 03:53 PM
VII7
Racer

Received 145 Likes on 96 Posts

Oh ok, the COV is clicking so it should be changing over but to rule out power issues you can supply it directly.
But yes check vacuum as well, you can also apply manual vacuum to the valves to make sure they are actuating correctly.

The programing is not going to be the problem, it's an on off type switch.
Old 03-25-2023, 12:44 PM
JamesP13RRN
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I have this exact problem - identical.

Did you sort the issue? Im lost as to why i have 0.6v too, all apparatus is new. Aside from sorting this ill be wiring a new feed and installing a separate button as im certainly not buying a new ECU just for this when everything else works.
The following users liked this post:
Pinkawa (04-09-2023)
Old 03-25-2023, 09:41 PM
dannyk304
Instructor

Originally Posted by JamesP13RRN
I have this exact problem - identical.

Did you sort the issue? Im lost as to why i have 0.6v too, all apparatus is new. Aside from sorting this ill be wiring a new feed and installing a separate button as im certainly not buying a new ECU just for this when everything else works.
I have not sorted it, no. Since it's permanently in the open (loud) I'm not rushing. I do want it to work but I will not be buying any new ECU for this issue. I spoke with the tech who programmed the new switch console and he said check every fuse. I just don't care anymore, but if you find a solution please update me.
JamesP13RRN (03-26-2023)
Old 04-09-2023, 11:25 PM
Pinkawa
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dannyk304
Hi - I just installed the PSE kit on my 2016 C2 with a brand new kit I got from Suncoast, came with everything including new switch console. I did the entire install myself, the vacuum lines and wiring into the cabin, grounded where indicted and wired all the way into the computer under the driver's seat plugged into the A2 slot as directed, went to the dealer and paid almost 400$ (sort of ridiculous but whatever) to have the new switch console programmed. However, the button doesn't activate the flap actuators on the center muffler. The light on the PSE button lights up, seems to work fine, turns on automatically when in sport, I can turn it on or off at a press of the button. However, it doesn't translate to the actuators. The service tech said he could look at it some other day but at a pretty heavy cost but advised me to check if the COV is getting power. I bought a multimeter and tested the harness that attaches to the COV - reads .61 Volts, whether button is on (lit up) or off. so I guess it's getting power, means I did the wiring sufficiently OK? I am stuck, not sure what else it can be? The COV is brand new as part of the retrofit kit. Anyone with insight? Any help is greatly appreciated - @plenum if you see this, I know you have some excellent knowledge and information out there on COVs, any chance you know the voltage/amperage I should be reading at the harness for the COV? does .61 Volts make sense? shouldn't it be different depending on when it's on or off? anyone who can add some insight, I would be grateful.

i am sorry but 0.61 volts is next to nothing . It should read 12 volts when it is activated (position : exhaust valve closed )
Old 04-09-2023, 11:30 PM
Pinkawa
Intermediate

Originally Posted by dannyk304
I have not sorted it, no. Since it's permanently in the open (loud) I'm not rushing. I do want it to work but I will not be buying any new ECU for this issue. I spoke with the tech who programmed the new switch console and he said check every fuse. I just don't care anymore, but if you find a solution please update me.
i have the same issue on my Boxster 981. 0.61volts . I checked the valve with an external 12volt power and it switches with 12 bolts but definitely not with 0.61volts.
i get vacuum to the valve - I notice hissing sound when I unplug the hose.
the hose routing is fine - when I connect the two hoses that go to the COV , the exhaust switches to quiet. !!! Do not unplug the hoses while the engine is running !!! This will throw codes.

Last edited by Pinkawa; 04-09-2023 at 11:59 PM.
Old 04-09-2023, 11:42 PM
Pinkawa
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Nash911
Were you able to resolve your issue? My car was fixed after a replacement of the rear-engine control unit which apparently had a fault that wasn’t popping up anywhere.
do you have the part number of that control unit ? Is it the rear body control unit under the seat ? Thanks in advance !
Old 04-10-2023, 05:15 AM
JamesP13RRN
Intermediate

It’s the rear body control module I suspected on mine so I just got fed up with the whole thing and fitted my own switch.
Old 04-10-2023, 08:21 AM
Pinkawa
Intermediate

It’s the rear body control module I suspected on mine so I just got fed up with the whole thing and fitted my own switch.
Thank you sir !
did you use the wire that goes from the rear body controls module to rear and power that with 12volt ?

TIA
Old 04-10-2023, 08:44 AM
JamesP13RRN
Intermediate

No I left the harness in tact and wired a new cable fed from 12v lighter. Just used a couple of spade connectors to the solenoid plug all very simple.

I have a little video but it seems too big for the forum
Old 04-10-2023, 08:46 AM
JamesP13RRN
Intermediate

Here we go
Pinkawa (04-10-2023)
Old 04-10-2023, 09:31 AM
Pinkawa
Intermediate

Here we go
Thank you for the directions ! That’s a perfect spot for the switch and it looks good .
have a good day!!!
Old 04-10-2023, 05:03 PM
dannyk304
Instructor

Originally Posted by Pinkawa
i am sorry but 0.61 volts is next to nothing . It should read 12 volts when it is activated (position : exhaust valve closed )
Thanks, yup, I realize it's next to nothing but it's not nothing, so my question is why I would be getting such a low trickle? If the connection was severed it would read zero, so there's a connection and short of a major defect to the wire hidden under the insulation, I have to assume the control unit is sending out only this trickle, whether opened or closed (on/off). I've checked the wiring completely at both ends and the connection is quite good, both for the power and ground wires. I fully understand that .61V is insufficient to operate the COV, I'm at a loss as to why .61 is coming through... the tech said to check all of my fuses. Someone else mentioned may need new ECU. It's been some time now and while I'd like the button to fully work, I'm not sad that it's always in open/loud position!
Old 04-30-2023, 09:18 PM
jrussell350
Rennlist Member

I'm glad I found this thread because I'm having the same problem on my '13 C2S where it's always in "loud" mode. The aftermarket exhaust is a bit obnoxious on start up and as a daily driver it would be nice to have it quieter. The previous owner installed the PSE and I always noticed that the PSE button doesn't seem to change the sound. The light does turn on when pressed and also lights with sport mode. I took it to the dealer thinking that he possibly never had it programmed but they said it was programmed. I pulled the bumper and other misc parts in the way thinking that something might have been disconnected, but all of the vacuum lines look to be attached. One key difference compared to OP is that my COV doesn't audibly click when PSE is pressed. I also tested the wire going to the COV and it shows 0.017V DC whether the PSE is lit or not. I'm afraid this points to the ECU as was the case with one of the commenters.
Old 05-01-2023, 12:54 PM
dannyk304
Instructor

Originally Posted by jrussell350
I'm glad I found this thread because I'm having the same problem on my '13 C2S where it's always in "loud" mode. The aftermarket exhaust is a bit obnoxious on start up and as a daily driver it would be nice to have it quieter. The previous owner installed the PSE and I always noticed that the PSE button doesn't seem to change the sound. The light does turn on when pressed and also lights with sport mode. I took it to the dealer thinking that he possibly never had it programmed but they said it was programmed. I pulled the bumper and other misc parts in the way thinking that something might have been disconnected, but all of the vacuum lines look to be attached. One key difference compared to OP is that my COV doesn't audibly click when PSE is pressed. I also tested the wire going to the COV and it shows 0.017V DC whether the PSE is lit or not. I'm afraid this points to the ECU as was the case with one of the commenters.
Hi - I am not convinced it's the ECU, rather strange that so many of us who added PSE afterwards would have the same problem and no other issue with the ECU? But that seems to be a possibility and if it is, I'll leave it as is. That said, the service tech at Porsche seems to have no idea either and he didn't even suggest ECU could be the issue, he said check the wiring and fuses. I feel there's some software block but I don't know. The low trickle of power is strange to me - meaning there's a connection but sufficient energy just isn't being diverted. I hear the audible click when the car is off and I press and depress the PSE button - engine lid up. It's slight but definitely there. For the '13 model year, the COVs were faulty and that may be an easy fix if that's your issue - I would check that, but given that you get the same trickle of power regardless of on/off I'd say it's not, but worth a look? Please update here if you find any resolution. If it is indeed the ECU, I find it strange - wouldn't more people with cars that came with PSE from factory also have similar issues of ECUs failing? Maybe the ECU itself lacks programming for PSE when it wasn't installed with PSE by factory, or some other syntax error that can be programmed?

Last edited by dannyk304; 05-02-2023 at 12:41 PM. Reason: inaccurate word - engine lid up not off!

Quick Reply: PSE Install - exhaust not switching over