Sponsored by:

All Seasons on a 991.1 C2S???

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2022, 04:03 PM
Mike Korpics
2nd Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default All Seasons on a 991.1 C2S???

Hopefully I don't get banned for asking this...
I drive my 991.1 C2S year round and don't track it. I currently have summer P4S and winter Alpins which I have switched over twice a year. The couple weeks in the fall and couple weeks in the spring where it's 40-45 degrees (Fahrenheit) gets really tricky with days too cold for the summers and days too warm for the winters.

Soooooo...I'm debating all-seasons. I know they aren't N rated and won't have the same grip as the P-zero or P4S in the summer, but what is the real drop off in handling?

I'm torn on this one...any opinions?

Tire rack all-seasons for reference - https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...e&autoModClar=
Old 11-27-2022, 04:08 PM
koala
Three Wheelin'

Received 540 Likes on 316 Posts

You won't get banned, but this has been discussed to death already!

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/1316...f-winters.html

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/1103...a-re980as.html

I personally strongly dislike my RE980 all-season tires and regret going with them.
Old 11-27-2022, 05:16 PM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Received 5,088 Likes on 1,807 Posts

This applies to all cars, not just 911s: all seasons are a convenience invention that help manufacturers sell new cars. No car should ever have all seasons. It's a compromise tire that performs marginally in every scenario. Your current setup is the way to go.
The following users liked this post:
911boy (11-28-2022)
Old 11-28-2022, 08:34 AM
Bud Taylor
Drifting

Received 436 Likes on 312 Posts
Default I put the michellin as4

On my golf R and it went from driving like a very well sorted sports car to a small truck. #summertiresmatter.
Old 11-28-2022, 09:52 AM
Mike Korpics
2nd Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Ugh, all seasons sounded convenient to avoid swapping tires twice a year and worrying about too hot or too cold, but I guess I'll stick with swapping summers/winters. Thanks!
The following 2 users liked this post by Mike Korpics:
911boy (11-28-2022), Wilder (11-29-2022)
Old 11-28-2022, 10:51 AM
JimEb
Racer

Received 126 Likes on 85 Posts

I run all seasons on my 911, but swap summer and winter tires on my other cars.

This is temporary as I do plan to get a set a summer wheels for the 911, but a nice set of rims are an expensive I don’t ‘need’ at the moment.

Also, I’m not tracking or autocrossing this car. No where near driving it to its limits. You
Old 11-28-2022, 02:24 PM
RennListUser01
Pro

Received 141 Likes on 98 Posts

Mmmm ... I got stuck on Avid's comment, "No car should ever have all seasons." Really? OK, so much for spotting the binary-ism.

This is an interesting topic - and, I suspect the rationale for summer tires is they are better handling - when it is warm. But, that begs the question, "What if you don't exercise the car in a manner that actually benefits from summer tires?"

Would be great to see someone invest about $100K buying a couple of sets of tires of each type - summer and all season - then, setting up various scenarios which would take some time as seasons change slowly - then doing the analysis?

Maybe that guy on ProjectFarm?

Last edited by RennListUser01; 11-28-2022 at 11:23 PM.
Old 11-28-2022, 09:04 PM
Jae S. Park
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
Default NW

Living in NW region I prefer AS over dedicated winters. Summer tires are scary when below 50 and raining. Typical temp swings between 30 to 60 during fall/winter/spring months and i dont wanna maintain three sets of tires (summers, AS and winters).
Michelin AS4 on my winter wheels have been working great for me on my daily 991.
thesaintusa (11-28-2022)
Old 11-28-2022, 09:17 PM
Andy515
Racer

Received 198 Likes on 84 Posts

I ran conti dsw6 + all seasons on my .1 c2 for a couple years and they were fine. I dailyed the car but didnt drive it in snow (just cold days in the winter) and didnt track it so it worked well. If you plan to drive in moderate snow then winters are better for sure if RWD and if you plan to maybe hit up the track then summers will be better. It is really a matter of how you plan to use the car. I just bought a 4 GTS I plan to drive all year around so went with winter/summer tires as I will be driving in snow/ice and might track it.
Old 11-28-2022, 10:44 PM
raaizin
Racer

Received 151 Likes on 70 Posts

I think all seasons are fine if you dont track the car. It's your car. I am thinking of doing the same with my 991.1 when I need tires. I have a winter set but really dont drive in the snow and a/s will be perfect
sr5959 (12-01-2022)
Old 11-28-2022, 11:25 PM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RennListUser01
Mmmm ... I got stuck on Avid's comment, "No car should ever have all seasons." Really? OK, so much for spotting the binary-ism.

This is an interesting topic - and, I suspect the rationale for summer tires is they are better handling - when it is warm. But, that begs the question, "What if you don't exercise the car in a manner that actually benefits from summer tires?"

Would be great to see someone invest about $100K buying a couple of sets of tires of each type - summer and all season - then, setting up various scenarios which would take some time as seasons change slowly - then doing the analysis?

My that guy on ProjectFarm?
Allow me to correct myself. If you plan to drive to the grocery and back, to drive within the speed limits, and to drive in a place where the weather is always moderate, I guess AS might be ok for you.

My comments have less to do with handling and more to do with safety. Using adequate tires for the temperature and conditions means everything when you need to avoid an accident. Your ability to maneuver and/or stop is greatly impaired when you don't have adequate tires. Most accidents in the snow are caused by boneheads who think all season tires are adequate for use in snow when they are absolutely not, even if you have AWD.

You don't need to spend $100k to run tests. It's already been done for you. Plenty of videos on youtube you can check out. And if you really want to learn first hand, join a club and start doing autocross in all types of weather.

Start with this video:
Old 11-28-2022, 11:28 PM
RennListUser01
Pro

Received 141 Likes on 98 Posts

Sorry, avid, you've put far too fine of a point on this.

I'm gonna keep smiling about your input.
Old 11-29-2022, 12:42 AM
thesaintusa
Rennlist Member

Received 373 Likes on 293 Posts

There will definitely be a population of 911 drivers that will do fine with AS tires; no autocross / track days / canyon carving and deal with near freezing temps.

I am running Cup 2 as my 'summer tire' and we have a distinct spring and fall season with temps in the sub 40F range both in the evening/mornings and often add wet roads to this mix. Definitely not a great condition for a street/track tire or even a summer tire. I end up putting winter tires sooner than I want, and keeping them on longer than I want to avoid this situation. If I had a 3rd set of wheels (for the track) then I would heavily lean towards the Michelin PS AS4 as my daily tire, put on the track tires for the track (I was routinely swapping R-cmpd tires once a week for autocross on my RX-7), and winter tires for the winter.

I will definitely be replacing the P Zeros on both my E63 and X3 with the Michelin PS AS4 for the spring/summer/fall and will put on the winter tires for the winter. As crappy as the PS AS4 may be for the winter (getting caught with an early or late snow) they would be significantly better than the P Zeros in the same borderline conditions (which has happened in the past).

@avid I agree that AS are a compromise, but in my opinion that compromise is largely in the winter conditions. But I put on winter tires to deal with that.
Definitely an AS gives up grip / performance versus the PS4S, but I suspect unless you are pulling 1.0g on the street / hitting the track / autocross then the PS AS4 will be fine.

If you live where temps don't drop below 40-50F then you will be happier with the PS4S (or equivalent).
Old 11-29-2022, 12:57 AM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

@RennListUser01 We're all entitled to our ignorance.

@thesaintusa I don't think AS is a compromise in the winter. AS in the winter is an absolute hazard. As for the argument that AS might be okay for hot climates, I just don't follow the logic of spending $100k+ on a performance car and using tires that will take a few more meters to stop in a hwy emergency.
Old 11-29-2022, 01:18 AM
thesaintusa
Rennlist Member

Received 373 Likes on 293 Posts

Originally Posted by avid
@RennListUser01 We're all entitled to our ignorance.

@thesaintusa I don't think AS is a compromise in the winter. AS in the winter is an absolute hazard. As for the argument that AS might be okay for hot climates, I just don't follow the logic of spending $100k+ on a performance car and using tires that will take a few more meters to stop in a hwy emergency.
@avid I was being kind saying compromise as I agree and put winter tires on all of our vehicles.

Quick Reply: All Seasons on a 991.1 C2S???