Sponsored by:

HELP!! PCM is stuck in Emergency Update Mode

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2022, 02:18 PM
cicsprog
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Default HELP!! PCM is stuck in Emergency Update Mode

So I thought I was doing a good thing to update my PCM 3.1 to latest software. But the update is causing the issue documented in:
https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-...date-loop.html

Does anyone have the Porsche disk GWKD95280016 (prior update disk) to possible get me out of this? I have DropBox if you can send it to me in ISO format. Be glad to pay for it.

If you have another method to get out of the loop problem, I would REALLY appreciate some help. I had updated the old hard drive to a SATA SSD and it was working just fine. It was the v4.76.x update that's caused the issue.
I tried putting in the original SATA disk back in but something is causing it to go to into this emergency update mode. Maybe there is something in the boot sequence (firmware) that says to look for this file that executes this emergency update routine.

If someone knows what file on the hard drive I can tweak to have it exit the emergency update routine, I would appreciate some specific direction on how to update that.
Regards!
Old 11-12-2022, 03:07 PM
cicsprog
Rennlist Member

My guess is that when the disk loads, it may execute this file (see attached). If you do I find on "emer" you will see some commands that get used. My guess is that this is where the emergency update routine might get started. If anyone knows how to tweak this, I'd appreciate. Thinking commenting out or deleting these lines and reburning DVD might do it.

I had to add a .txt to the file to be able to upload. The files name is actually HBUPDATE.def

Best
Attached Files
File Type: txt
HBUPDATE.def.txt (83.6 KB, 78 views)

Last edited by cicsprog; 11-12-2022 at 03:11 PM.
Old 11-12-2022, 10:50 PM
cicsprog
Rennlist Member

Seems to crap out at like 95 percent on “placeholder”
Old 11-14-2022, 07:45 PM
cicsprog
Rennlist Member

I’ve made some progress. I’ve gotten passed the “emergency update” loop. I’m going to restore my original hard drive and see if I’m back to normal. I will post my work around after I restore my original hard drive.
Old 11-14-2022, 10:06 PM
cicsprog
Rennlist Member

It’s ALIVE. Even the 4.76.x came in. I will post work around tomorrow.
Old 11-14-2022, 11:53 PM
jfischet
Three Wheelin'

Received 621 Likes on 365 Posts

glad you got it working.
The following users liked this post:
cicsprog (11-15-2022)
Old 11-15-2022, 04:40 PM
cicsprog
Rennlist Member

Here's how I got it back working. It's similar to another thread on how I fixed it.
If your planning on upgrading your HARD DRIVE to an SSD or update the software for the PCM 3.1 the most important thing you need to do is immediately take a backup of the old Toshiba Hard drive. It saved my ***.

I wasn't having any luck on getting out of the "Emergency Update" loop. I tried many different things. One of the threads here said they copied their hard drive from a Cayenne and used it to replace what was on the 911 hard drive. Last year I bought a backup 3.1 PCM off of eBay since they seemed problematic and I plan on having my 991 for sometime. So, I took out the hard drive from the eBay PCM and cloned it to a SSD using AOMEI Backupper. I think any hard drive cloner will work just fine. The eBay PCM was manufactured early in 2013. My original PCM was manufactured in 2014. The software level was lower on the eBay PCM (I didn't look at what version). I took the cloned SSD that had the 2013 software and installed into my PCM. I powered it up and the the "Emergency Update" kicked off. This time it completed! So, I figured that whatever keeps kicking it off was updated to stop executing.

I restored the backup of my original hard drive to another SSD. Installed it in my original PCM 3,1 and it booted up just fine! I looked at the version level of the PCM and it was 4.76.x. I have no idea why it reflects that. But who cares its working. I tried to reference my MAP's on the PCM and it went into a wait. I let that wait just sit there and sure enough the MAPs file started working again. I let the PCM sit for 45 minutes and no booting (common problem of why people update) occurred. Also my CAR Kit (ISUDOR) Apple Car Play was working perfectly.

So at this point - stick a fork in it - I'm done!

Take away's, make sure you back up your original drive even if you think its bad. Better to have a backup in case you get into trouble. I would be glad to share my backup of the eBay PCM hard drive if any one wants to upgrade their hard drive or software to 4.76.x. and get into the "Emergency Loop". I would prefer to post the file in a place where people get can just get to it rather than pester me each time for the file.

This problem SUCKED BTW!

Now, onto my stereo upgrade.

Last edited by cicsprog; 11-15-2022 at 04:47 PM.
Schorsch (11-15-2022)
Old 11-15-2022, 05:27 PM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,200 Likes on 723 Posts

Awesome info here. Thanks for posting.
Old 11-15-2022, 06:42 PM
cicsprog
Rennlist Member

Here's what the drive looks like in Windows Disk Management. Lots of partitions. Gives you an idea of what they look like

Last edited by cicsprog; 11-15-2022 at 06:45 PM.
Old 11-15-2022, 09:25 PM
cicsprog
Rennlist Member

FYI an industrial grade SSD is available at mouser.com. This is what I used. Good for high and low temperatures. I think it was $8t. Innodisk is the brand.
https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail...3eGYt3KKuTI%3D

Last edited by cicsprog; 11-19-2022 at 10:59 PM.
slate235 (01-26-2024)
Old 01-25-2024, 05:11 PM
slate235
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

@cicsprog THANK YOU SO MUCH for this rundown. I am having the exact same issue with my (new to me) 2015 Cayenne. Is there any chance you still have the backup of the eBay PCM hard drive available? I'm sorry I can't PM quite yet as I just made my account...
Old 01-25-2024, 07:06 PM
cicsprog
Rennlist Member

Send me your email and I’ll send you a link for download. Someone else just had the same issue. He, I thought, ended up not needing it….i think.
Anyway, Send your email address broken up on multiple lines so it can’t get screen scraped easily. Once I have it you can delete the post.
slate235 (01-26-2024)
Old 01-25-2024, 10:09 PM
slate235
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cicsprog
Send me your email and I’ll send you a link for download. Someone else just had the same issue. He, I thought, ended up not needing it….i think.
Anyway, Send your email address broken up on multiple lines so it can’t get screen scraped easily. Once I have it you can delete the post.
​​​​​​I really appreciate it. I thought updating to 4.76 would be the answer and how wrong I was when that put it into constant emergency update mode.

Quick Reply: HELP!! PCM is stuck in Emergency Update Mode