Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ah jeez, another "what's my 991 worth" thread...

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2022, 12:18 PM
Tommy L Garage
Rennlist Member

Received 560 Likes on 208 Posts

Reading the posts and ranges - I will buy it for $65k. No joke.

But I agree. When I sold my 981 Cayman S my asking was in line with prices seen online but had to settle for a realistic price based on the number of tire kickers and realistic offers. Easy to buy, harder to sell.

Last edited by Tommy L Garage; 09-30-2022 at 12:19 PM.
Old 09-30-2022, 12:25 PM
potxoli
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

To give a POV from a buyer perspective, I will soon be in the market for a 991 with a ~70K-80K budget. I've been looking mostly at 991.1s since that seems to be all that is available at that budget level (and I prefer an NA engine) or possibly a 997.2 which seems to be as expensive as a 991.1. The number of cars at that price anywhere near me (northeast) are very few. I'd like a CPO if I get a 991, and there was a 70K base 991.1 that must have sold and an 82K 991.1 C2S that is available near me both CPO at porsche dealers. There is a really nice 991.1 CPO C2S in Rhodium Silver that I love for $85K in Ohio. BaT prices and Cars and Bids prices for similar 991.1s non-CPO are not much cheaper, maybe 3K and high-end used car dealers in my area have about the same prices as porsche CPO cars which makes you wonder why I would ever buy from them. I have not negotiated any deal as I will not be in the market until the end of October, so perhaps the dealers can be talked done, but I would have thought a great condition 991.2 even with higher miles would be in the >90K range...
Old 09-30-2022, 12:31 PM
Levy
Racer

Received 284 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by desmotesta
Still have No clue what their buying manager was thinking that day.
he was thinking about stealing your car and making a big pile of loot.

agree with everything except $10k below dealer asking prices. i'd start at or a couple grand below dealers and go from there. when someone inquires about your car, you can always lower the price but seldom/never can you move it up. unless you're in a bind to offload the vehicle fast, i'd start high. if you get few/no inquiries (give it a week or so)...then lower the asking price incrementally....and repeat as needed.

it's a great car/spec ....I always try to not leave money on the table.
Old 09-30-2022, 12:50 PM
asellus
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,099 Likes on 1,306 Posts

thanks for the advice all. hitting up the local p dealer for an appraisal. the only other dealer in town is owned by the same parent company so it feels like a waste of time to drive across town for that, they share inventory and everything.

I'll check with high end used car sales places, we've got a really nice one near me. beyond that I'll look at what.. carmax? carvana? see what the bottom barrel dollar is at those places too.
Old 09-30-2022, 01:24 PM
MingusDew
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,202 Likes on 607 Posts

Originally Posted by asellus
thanks for the advice all. hitting up the local p dealer for an appraisal. the only other dealer in town is owned by the same parent company so it feels like a waste of time to drive across town for that, they share inventory and everything.

I'll check with high end used car sales places, we've got a really nice one near me. beyond that I'll look at what.. carmax? carvana? see what the bottom barrel dollar is at those places too.
I always use Carmax as a bottom line of what you could sell the car for right this minute. I’m not saying you SHOULD, but what I’m saying is that in a private transaction, with someone offering cash right now today, you have a bottom to your bracket of acceptable price. This is just as a point to begin negotiations for you, so you know not to list it lower and not accept lower offers. The price a dealer lists it for (probably 20-30% higher than this Carmax price) you know is a price the dealer is willing to sit on for 3-4 months, as the car is a luxury toy and not an economy item they will expect it to take longer to sell. If you’re willing to sit on it for 4-6 months on the long end, then list it closer to what a dealer is asking. If you want to move it faster, list it for 10% lower than a dealer would and move it down after a month or so if you want it to move faster. You’ll have the bottom of the bracket from CarMax to gage offers against, and you’ll have to make the call on the day people offer you cash if it’s good for you or if you’d rather hold out longer. Good luck!

Last edited by MingusDew; 09-30-2022 at 01:25 PM.
The following users liked this post:
asellus (09-30-2022)
Old 09-30-2022, 03:12 PM
asellus
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Carmax appointment set for 4:30 today, thanks!
Old 09-30-2022, 05:54 PM
911dude41
Drifting

Received 1,227 Likes on 705 Posts

Carmax appointment set for 4:30 today, thanks!
Hehe! freaking carmax!

If they offer you something decent, I'm sure someone on here will give you a couple thousand more than carmax.. Your appraisal is good for a week.

I had great success with carmax on one of my 991's. The rest were bad with appraisals.. You get low balled if your car is worth over 100k. You car though is in a prime valuation state for their algorithm. You might get a good offer. I'm genuinely curious so please share.

Lastly, if you decide to sell on rennlist or auto trade. Delete this thread. People like to play detective and will use your posts/threads against you.
Old 09-30-2022, 06:31 PM
Pb Pedis
Rennlist Member

Received 1,036 Likes on 654 Posts

Originally Posted by MingusDew
Take it to a dealer, get offers, so you know the bottom of the range...
This. If you have the patience to deal with the tire kickers and test drives, maybe you can find the right buyer for a better price. My two cents is take the car to large metro area Porsche dealers, or maybe even Benz or Audi - sometimes their used car group will throw an off brand car (especially Porsche) on the showroom floor and tell people it was a recent trade so as to capitalize on an impulse buyer. I have see many Porsches for sale at the Lexus dealer on the floor, and they don't last long.

Last edited by Pb Pedis; 09-30-2022 at 07:09 PM.
Old 09-30-2022, 07:02 PM
DaveGee
Rennlist Member

Received 479 Likes on 268 Posts

You haven’t answered the “what’s next?” question.

I for one hope it’s another Porsche. You’ve been a real asset to this forum and while I haven’t always agreed with you, I appreciate the information you’ve taken the time to share with us. You’ve made this a better forum. Good luck with getting top dollar for your car.

Full disclosure: I’m getting ready to sell my Targa and will be going through the same process as you. Keep us posted.

DaveGee
The following 2 users liked this post by DaveGee:
asellus (09-30-2022), spyderbret (09-30-2022)
Old 09-30-2022, 07:16 PM
asellus
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Don't hate me....

I'm looking at a c7 corvette. Tl;dr of it is I want a big stupid v8 in my life again. The ls3 in my buddy's camaro ss is fantastic. The lt1 is just another evolution of it. The lt4 is bonkers, but is not what I'm after. Buddy of mine has one though...

I'll be sticking around here regardless, I'm sure, so this isn't farewell. There are a couple locals with 991s I could probably meet with to keep myself fresh from a hardware perspective; I've loved investigating and sharing what I've learned here.

And that's assuming I even sell the 991. Having both would be... redundant... but definitely would make for a neat garage!
Old 09-30-2022, 08:13 PM
MingusDew
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,202 Likes on 607 Posts

Don't hate me....

I'm looking at a c7 corvette. Tl;dr of it is I want a big stupid v8 in my life again. The ls3 in my buddy's camaro ss is fantastic. The lt1 is just another evolution of it. The lt4 is bonkers, but is not what I'm after. Buddy of mine has one though...

I'll be sticking around here regardless, I'm sure, so this isn't farewell. There are a couple locals with 991s I could probably meet with to keep myself fresh from a hardware perspective; I've loved investigating and sharing what I've learned here.

And that's assuming I even sell the 991. Having both would be... redundant... but definitely would make for a neat garage!
Hopefully a Grand Sport with the 3LT interior 😊. Love the wide body too. Definitely a step up from the C6 with the Cobalt steering wheel.
Old 09-30-2022, 09:51 PM
911dude41
Drifting

Received 1,227 Likes on 705 Posts

Don't hate me....

You'll miss the refinement, but there are always other cars and your next P car can end up being better than your last like a GT car or TTS. You never know until you get the itch.

Either way, good luck and let us know what carmax offers.
Old 09-30-2022, 11:34 PM
asellus
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MingusDew
Hopefully a Grand Sport with the 3LT interior 😊. Love the wide body too. Definitely a step up from the C6 with the Cobalt steering wheel.
GS 2LT. The 3LT dash delamination issues are concerning, and ultimately the 2LT bonded leather all over the dash and pillars is fine by me. Drove a 3LT and 2LZ and didn't really notice much of a difference. Went back and looked at pictures and.. had to have a friend help point out the differences. Of which there were few.

The widebody I could take/leave. Honestly the grandsport is mostly negatives for me, but the Z06 mag ride is phenominal so it's worth it for that. Not excited for 285+335 tires though.

Originally Posted by 911dude41
You'll miss the refinement, but there are always other cars and your next P car can end up being better than your last like a GT car or TTS. You never know until you get the itch.

Either way, good luck and let us know what carmax offers.
For sure. When they aren't ridiculously priced I'd really consider a cayman gt4. On paper, at least, they look stellar. Just not $150k stellar.

As far as carmax's offer, I'm going to keep these cards close to my chest for the time being if that's okay.
The following users liked this post:
MingusDew (10-01-2022)
Old 10-01-2022, 12:04 AM
SConn
Drifting

Received 976 Likes on 580 Posts

[QUOTE=asellus;18387812]Don't hate me....

I've had a GS and most recently a manual Z06. Wish I had room and funds for them both (Pcar and Vette). There is something about the C7's for sure!

Last edited by SConn; 10-01-2022 at 12:05 AM.
Old 10-01-2022, 01:59 PM
jimmiejam
Racer

Received 112 Likes on 75 Posts

Don't hate me....

I'm looking at a c7 corvette. Tl;dr of it is I want a big stupid v8 in my life again. The ls3 in my buddy's camaro ss is fantastic. The lt1 is just another evolution of it...
There is no hate, I do both...

Quick Reply: Ah jeez, another "what's my 991 worth" thread...