Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2013 991 4s - DIY Activate PSE with PIWIS clone

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2022, 09:39 AM
Buck366
Intermediate

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I installed me PSE over the weekend. I just need to install the switch. Question is, The directions show the PSE switch in location 3 on the right bot Factory location is position 2 on the right. When the dealer programs it, what button will work? I have heard conflicting stories.
Old 09-27-2022, 10:09 AM
Dafacta
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Buck366
I installed me PSE over the weekend. I just need to install the switch. Question is, The directions show the PSE switch in location 3 on the right bot Factory location is position 2 on the right. When the dealer programs it, what button will work? I have heard conflicting stories.
I just had the dealer successfully program the pse button yesterday. Works great!!! Took them about an hour. I put the button in the original factory installed pse position (right side between spoiler raise/lower button and autostart buttons).
Old 09-28-2022, 10:53 AM
fluid15

Received 51 Likes on 35 Posts

The instructions seam very easy on the S models. Did you have to remove the rear bumper? It doesn't say to in the instructions but prob makes it a bit easier.

Question, So on a no PSE Carrara S the valve opens only on cold start? I wonder what the reason is for that. Just curious.
The default is the valves are open. Upon starting the car, the engine creates the vacuum which closes the valves. This takes a second or two which is why you may hear a slight rumble upon start (especially with aftermarket exhaust). It’s more pronounced after exhaust is warm. As noted by @BB 964 the valves open around 3500 RPM regardless of which sport setting you are using, which is the Porsche programming. If you lose vacuum (like a split tube, which happened to me) the valves will always be open.

Last edited by fluid15; 09-28-2022 at 02:18 PM. Reason: typo
Old 09-28-2022, 02:13 PM
fnckr
Rennlist Member

Received 200 Likes on 118 Posts

You must order a new center button console, unless things have changed since I did it. The dealer can program the buttons in any order, but I installed them as the factory does. FYI, Princeton Porsche was very knowledgeable with PIWIS programming and completed the job in 20 minutes. The first dealer I tried took a couple hours and questioned my install before finally giving up.
Old 09-28-2022, 08:30 PM
noahabel
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 61 Posts

For posterity, I did the full install and programming myself using a PIWIS clone. Besides the INTENSE work getting the PIWIS to work (20% computer hardware issue, 80% dumb operator (me) issue) the programming went just as described in the instructions.

Some important steps:
- The instructions mention "Workshop Manual '962719 Removing and installing switch console" and "Workshop Manual '962755 Replacing switch console" BEFORE you proceed with the programming instructions on the PSE manual. I found these in the full workshop manual (all over the internet).
- This second procedure (962755) mentions "Enabling Sport/Sport Plus/Sport Chrono Plus Function" which will require an enabling code.
- You can get this code on your own from some online coding sites. I used this one and spent very little for the code.
- Once this is done, you can assign the buttons as needed (you can put the PSE button where you want) then proceed with the rest of the programming instructions from the PSE manual.

I spent $400 on the PIWIS head/hardware, plus I chose to buy a
75A battery maintainer 75A battery maintainer
to make sure my car's battery never drained during these programming steps. This makes the whole kit more expensive than the ~$500 local dealers wanted to program my PSE button alone, but now I can do any programming/maintaining I want, including basic maintenance steps like resetting service intervals and clearing/checking codes.

Finally, the PSE is SO worth the effort if you already have an S with valved exhaust. The sounds are

The following 3 users liked this post by noahabel:
fnckr (09-28-2022), shyamvenky (09-29-2022), Spectre65 (09-30-2022)
Old 09-29-2022, 12:23 AM
fluid15

Originally Posted by noahabel
For posterity, I did the full install and programming myself using a PIWIS clone. Besides the INTENSE work getting the PIWIS to work (20% computer hardware issue, 80% dumb operator (me) issue) the programming went just as described in the instructions.

Some important steps:
- The instructions mention "Workshop Manual '962719 Removing and installing switch console" and "Workshop Manual '962755 Replacing switch console" BEFORE you proceed with the programming instructions on the PSE manual. I found these in the full workshop manual (all over the internet).
- This second procedure (962755) mentions "Enabling Sport/Sport Plus/Sport Chrono Plus Function" which will require an enabling code.
- You can get this code on your own from some online coding sites. I used this one and spent very little for the code.
- Once this is done, you can assign the buttons as needed (you can put the PSE button where you want) then proceed with the rest of the programming instructions from the PSE manual.

I spent $400 on the PIWIS head/hardware, plus I chose to buy a 75A battery maintainer to make sure my car's battery never drained during these programming steps. This makes the whole kit more expensive than the ~$500 local dealers wanted to program my PSE button alone, but now I can do any programming/maintaining I want, including basic maintenance steps like resetting service intervals and clearing/checking codes.

Finally, the PSE is SO worth the effort if you already have an S with valved exhaust. The sounds are
Based on your comment, can I assume the PSE is a big difference from non-PSE exhaust? Mine came with PSE but I'm a bit underwhelmed by the difference in valves open/closed. Having valves closed during highway driving is helpful to maintain lower cabin noise but around the city it doesn't seem to have too much difference when selecting Sport or Sport+ when it comes to sound.
Old 09-29-2022, 03:13 PM
bb964
Rennlist Member

Received 329 Likes on 201 Posts

For my taste, the factory PSE sound is just right, would not want anything louder. Wish the crackles and pops could be controlled/turned off.
The following users liked this post:
noahabel (09-29-2022)
Old 09-29-2022, 05:05 PM
fluid15

Originally Posted by bb964
For my taste, the factory PSE sound is just right, would not want anything louder. Wish the crackles and pops could be controlled/turned off.
Which setting(s) do you get the crackle/pop? With my factory PSE I have slight burble in Sport/Sport+ vs. normal mode, but not pronounced. Mine is a 7MT.
Old 09-29-2022, 05:07 PM
bb964
Rennlist Member

Received 329 Likes on 201 Posts

In Sport, it is more pronounced on the outside and less so inside.
Old 09-29-2022, 05:45 PM
noahabel
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by fluid15
Based on your comment, can I assume the PSE is a big difference from non-PSE exhaust? Mine came with PSE but I'm a bit underwhelmed by the difference in valves open/closed. Having valves closed during highway driving is helpful to maintain lower cabin noise but around the city it doesn't seem to have too much difference when selecting Sport or Sport+ when it comes to sound.
I found the difference to be noticeable and satisfying. I'm not looking to sound like an F1 car, mind you, and I spend more time in residential/suburban neighborhoods than ripping up canyons, so I think it's the right balance. To me, it sounds like a 400hp car, which it is, whereas the non-PSE sounded more like a ~280-300hp car. I wouldn't want to sound like I have a GT3 engine either, FWIW, so this does feel like the sweet spot for me. The pops/gurgles are fun to hear when puttering at city-speeds in 2nd-4th gear. It can get a little droney at highway cruising speed, however. Sometimes I turn it off at that point, where it just goes back to subtle and sedate.
Old 09-29-2022, 11:36 PM
Joec500
Rennlist Member

Received 1,028 Likes on 612 Posts

Originally Posted by noahabel
I found the difference to be noticeable and satisfying. I'm not looking to sound like an F1 car, mind you, and I spend more time in residential/suburban neighborhoods than ripping up canyons, so I think it's the right balance. To me, it sounds like a 400hp car, which it is, whereas the non-PSE sounded more like a ~280-300hp car. I wouldn't want to sound like I have a GT3 engine either, FWIW, so this does feel like the sweet spot for me. The pops/gurgles are fun to hear when puttering at city-speeds in 2nd-4th gear. It can get a little droney at highway cruising speed, however. Sometimes I turn it off at that point, where it just goes back to subtle and sedate.
I see you're also in LA, one day you should hear my sport headers and AWE switchpath exhaust car. At redline it's intoxicating. I came from PSE and I cannot go back now.
The following users liked this post:
noahabel (09-30-2022)

Quick Reply: 2013 991 4s - DIY Activate PSE with PIWIS clone