Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

991.2 ECU tune

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2023 | 07:01 PM
Pakman996-991.2
Instructor

Originally Posted by 1CEBITN
I think some folks think they are experiencing turbo lag when it's actually the throttle mapping which some tuners mess with and some do not. Throttle position mapped to requested boost can make it seem like it takes a beat for the car to take off while you wait for the turbos to produce the boost requested. Some tuners request more boost at less throttle compared to the stock mapping and that, imho, causes that delayed reaction perception. That's not really turbo lag, it's the tune. If you like how it drives stock ask the tuner to leave the throttle alone. The other component is what RPM you are at when you hit the gas. If the PDK has to drop a few gears and the turbos have to be told by the computer to spool which is controlled by the throttle mapping then it may also take a while. If you are in manual mode the car will stay in whatever gear you are in when you hit it. Obviously if you are in gear at 3k rpms and hit it the car will run. If you are in 7th at 1500 rpms not so much, especially in auto mode...
Well said. In addition, I recommend a TCU tune to pair with the ECU tune. I went with the APR PDK tune since I already had their stage 3 ECU tune. Others with big power setups are running COBB aggressive and seem to be happy with it. I think once you add a lot of power the shift points need to be adjusted to compliment the tune. I’m sure PDK adapts, but up to a point.

My car also didn’t come with sport chrono/sport plus mode so the PDK tune added that, launch control and a “clutch kick” feature. CK is essentially an easy way to break tires loose when you hold down both paddles. Instead of going neutral it drops a gear/spikes the throttle and makes it easier to slide the car and do donuts etc.

It was $1,500 and well worth the money. Occasionally I would get a refusal to shift from 4th to 5th gear and it got rid of that. It also adds a few features that help the clutch last a bit longer.
Old 03-04-2023 | 09:40 PM
DR911s
Racer

Which APR tune -- 91 or 93 octane, or are both included? That's not clear to me from the APR ads. Softronic website indicates that they supply the same tune for both 91 and 93 and the ECU adapts effectively.

Also, is there a need to add the PDK tune in a 2017 C2S which came OEM with Sport Chrono to avoid problems following only the ECU [engine] tune? I'm leaning towards APR because there is a local dealer near me to do the installation, and APR's general reputation and record in tuning Audi and VW vehicles.

For those who haven't driven a similar car with PDK, there's a noticeable difference in the way the PDK shifts and locks-up when Sport or Sport Plus mode is selected. Supposedly the electronic differential settings are also changed in those modes.

Last edited by DR911s; 03-04-2023 at 09:59 PM. Reason: Wanted to have it follow Message 24 of this thread. My second post, and I don't know what I am doing!
Old 03-05-2023 | 09:17 AM
Pakman996-991.2
Instructor

Originally Posted by DR911s
Which APR tune -- 91 or 93 octane, or are both included? That's not clear to me from the APR ads. Softronic website indicates that they supply the same tune for both 91 and 93 and the ECU adapts effectively.

Also, is there a need to add the PDK tune in a 2017 C2S which came OEM with Sport Chrono to avoid problems following only the ECU [engine] tune? I'm leaning towards APR because there is a local dealer near me to do the installation, and APR's general reputation and record in tuning Audi and VW vehicles.

For those who haven't driven a similar car with PDK, there's a noticeable difference in the way the PDK shifts and locks-up when Sport or Sport Plus mode is selected. Supposedly the electronic differential settings are also changed in those modes.
The 91, 93, 100, 104 & E60-E85 are all included. Just need to pay your local tune shop to flash it. My guy charges $50 and it takes 30 mins or so.

No need to add PDK tune at stage 1 power levels in my opinion. Especially if you already have launch control etc from factory.

APR is a great OTS tune. Once you go down the big power mod rabbit hole, a pro-tuner like M Engineering is the way to go. They can tailor the tune to your liking and take into account specific mods like Meth kits etc. The big advantage is that you can flash it from home via access port.
The following users liked this post:
DR911s (03-05-2023)
Old 03-06-2023 | 11:14 AM
devtec
Rennlist Member

I find the Litchfield tune to be absolutely incredible. Not sure why it’s mentioned so little!

Smooth, linearity which builds, great throttle response, almost no turbo lag, lessens pops/crackles, reliable, safe, and it seems slightly bigger horsepower gains than other tunes. Iain is a master, and a pleasure to work with. All done remotely through Cobb.

Top Gear:
https://www.topgear.com/car-reviews/porsche/t-2dr/first-drive-1

Pistonheads:
https://www.pistonheads.com/news/ph-driven/litchfield-911-carrera-t--ph-review/42431

Evo:
https://www.evo.co.uk/porsche/911/202437/litchfield-porsche-911-carrera-t-991-review?amp

Car:
https://www.carmagazine.co.uk/car-reviews/porsche/litchfield-911-carrera/

Reviews are rave, professional, and it’s not like there is a dearth of them.

Hope this helps. 🙂

Last edited by devtec; 03-06-2023 at 11:38 AM.
Old 03-06-2023 | 07:42 PM
polobai
Drifting

I’ve heard good things as well-but isn’t it only available in Europe?
Old 03-06-2023 | 08:03 PM
DR911s
Racer

I've read that you can get a Litchfield tune if in USA, but it will involve a little more work and communications, and purchase of a Cobb device which other tunes don't necessarily require. Perhaps Litchfield will begin offering his tunes via the device that Softronic and others in USA use which would reduce the cost. Cobb appears to be great if you intend to do other tuning and data collection work on your car.
Old 03-06-2023 | 11:09 PM
devtec
Rennlist Member

Litchfield tune is readily available in the US. They send you a Cobb with the tune already on it, and Iain Litchfield then tunes it remotely as you send him logs.

He’ll give you all the instructions, it’s very straightforward. Process is the same as any other remote tune.

Doesn’t matter that you have to purchase a Cobb, as the overall cost is competitive with all the other tunes, and includes the Cobb.

Honestly the most annoying part was just arranging payment! You have to do a transfer in British pounds—at the time they didn’t accept credit cards (and probably still don’t). After that, it was smooth sailing, and Iain was very responsive.

Last edited by devtec; 03-06-2023 at 11:13 PM.

Quick Reply: 991.2 ECU tune