Sponsored by:

gts m800 turbo shaft seized

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2022, 07:40 AM
blackcheetah
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 117 Posts
Default gts m800 turbo shaft seized

My driver side m800 has seized last mount,called Tial sended the turbo then they let me know the diagnostic and they repair it at no cost !so putted back my stock turbo . Mean time i enjoy my stock turbo cuz they make good torque down low but they die so fast in upper rpm and with the same tune of my m800 i make the same power as a stock gts (1/4mile 11.3@124mph) but to compare m800 make so much more power up top its night and day ...cant wait putting back my m800 soon
Just want to say that Tial have outstanding service and they dont bother ...

Last edited by blackcheetah; 08-23-2022 at 07:46 AM.
Old 08-23-2022, 10:36 AM
thesaintusa
Rennlist Member

Received 369 Likes on 290 Posts

Any idea why the shaft seized? An oiling problem?

Are you running a pro tune on your GTS turbos?

You were making some crazy power with the M800 turbos.
Old 08-23-2022, 11:03 AM
blackcheetah
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by thesaintusa
Any idea why the shaft seized? An oiling problem?

Are you running a pro tune on your GTS turbos?

You were making some crazy power with the M800 turbos.
Diagnostic from Tial :The thrust bearing failure due to not being clamped properly at some point.
Btw im on base turbo now not gts im running the same protune on my base as my m800

1/4 mile base carrera turbo with protune

Last edited by blackcheetah; 08-23-2022 at 11:10 AM.
Old 08-23-2022, 11:10 AM
thesaintusa
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by blackcheetah
Diagnostic from Tial :The thrust bearing failure due to not being clamped properly at some point.
Btw im on base turbo now not gts im running the same protune on my base as my m800
That sucks about the failure

You are running your tune that you use on the m800 on your base turbos?

Old 08-23-2022, 11:16 AM
blackcheetah
Rennlist Member

That sucks about the failure

You are running your tune that you use on the m800 on your base turbos?
Yes and it work like à charme i have some datalog with the base and the tune have fuel target so af/r and timing is perfect ,does base turbo will push 28psi at 3krpm with meth of corse making some good torque and dies at 15 psi at 7500rpm i have track the car with this setup and its bullet proof

Last edited by blackcheetah; 08-23-2022 at 11:19 AM.
Old 08-27-2022, 01:38 PM
spdracerut
Three Wheelin'

Received 587 Likes on 396 Posts

I'd actually lean towards turbo over speed leading to the thrust bearing failure. When you over speed the turbo, turbine pressure ratio goes way higher than compressor pressure ratio, so you get a ton of thrust load. Combine that with hot oil with low viscosity and you get metal on metal contact at your thrust bearing accelerating wear. And when it wears out, the whole shaft starts moving around more until it rubs and eventually seizes.
The following users liked this post:
thesaintusa (08-27-2022)
Old 08-27-2022, 04:06 PM
blackcheetah
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by spdracerut
I'd actually lean towards turbo over speed leading to the thrust bearing failure. When you over speed the turbo, turbine pressure ratio goes way higher than compressor pressure ratio, so you get a ton of thrust load. Combine that with hot oil with low viscosity and you get metal on metal contact at your thrust bearing accelerating wear. And when it wears out, the whole shaft starts moving around more until it rubs and eventually seizes.
This what TIAL say: The thrust bearing is clamped down when the 6 bolts that fasten the compressor hsg down are tightened. If these are not properly tightened or 1 or 2 are left loose or under torqued the thrust bearing will lose oil pressure and damage the thrust bearing as seen in the picture below

Old 08-27-2022, 05:18 PM
thesaintusa
Rennlist Member

This my thought as well, but if Tial wants to own it good for them.
Old 08-27-2022, 06:04 PM
barncobob
Rennlist Member

Received 748 Likes on 460 Posts

U wanna play U gotta pay
Old 08-27-2022, 07:19 PM
blackcheetah
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by barncobob
U wanna play U gotta pay
Useless
Old 08-27-2022, 07:30 PM
blackcheetah
Rennlist Member

This my thought as well, but if Tial wants to own it good for them.
Tial have experience with this issue i beleive. They have outstanding service so maybee they just say well will take it its not a big deal to satisfied à customer
thesaintusa (08-28-2022)
Old 08-28-2022, 12:46 AM
thesaintusa
Rennlist Member

Tial have experience with this issue i beleive. They have outstanding service so maybee they just say well will take it its not a big deal to satisfied à customer
@blackcheetah

Bottomline is that sounds like excellent customer service.
Old 09-02-2022, 02:09 AM
spdracerut
Three Wheelin'

Received 587 Likes on 396 Posts

This what TIAL say: The thrust bearing is clamped down when the 6 bolts that fasten the compressor hsg down are tightened. If these are not properly tightened or 1 or 2 are left loose or under torqued the thrust bearing will lose oil pressure and damage the thrust bearing as seen in the picture below
While I applaud their customer service for taking care of you, what they said about the thrust bearing being clamped down when the 6 bolts holding the compressor housing on is COMPLETLY WRONG!!!! They should have an engineer or manufacturing technician explain it, not whoever answered your message.

I linked this video to start a bit before when the person installs the thrust bearing. The thrust bearing is located in rotation by a dowel pin. In the picture sent by TiAl, it looks like two dowel pins are used on the circumference of the thrust bearing. The thrust bearing is ultimately held in place by the seal plate which is locked into place by a snap ring. This is standard Borg Warner design. Garrett does it a little differently in their journal bearing CHRAs.

vanlieremead (09-04-2022)
Old 09-02-2022, 09:00 AM
blackcheetah
Rennlist Member

While I applaud their customer service for taking care of you, what they said about the thrust bearing being clamped down when the 6 bolts holding the compressor housing on is COMPLETLY WRONG!!!! They should have an engineer or manufacturing technician explain it, not whoever answered your message.

I linked this video to start a bit before when the person installs the thrust bearing. The thrust bearing is located in rotation by a dowel pin. In the picture sent by TiAl, it looks like two dowel pins are used on the circumference of the thrust bearing. The thrust bearing is ultimately held in place by the seal plate which is locked into place by a snap ring. This is standard Borg Warner design. Garrett does it a little differently in their journal bearing CHRAs.

https://youtu.be/nbfRNgo9mo4?t=64
Thx , @spdracerut im not a scientiste in turbo stuff so your final conclusion is overspinning turbo's?if so what can cause this issue?
Old 09-02-2022, 10:44 AM
thesaintusa
Rennlist Member

Thx , @spdracerut im not a scientiste in turbo stuff so your final conclusion is overspinning turbo's?if so what can cause this issue?
Running them outside their designed efficiency parameters, i.e. loose piping/tubing forcing the turbo to spin faster to generate target boost (over speed).

Or an oiling issue, i.e. perhaps you didn't have an overspeed situation.

Last edited by thesaintusa; 09-02-2022 at 01:03 PM.

Quick Reply: gts m800 turbo shaft seized